Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Arrrgggg! Dad dropped his Verizon flip phone in the toilet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessie* View Post
    I see that Tracphone uses VZ and AT&T. How do you know which network that you are getting, if you sign up?
    As far as the Tracfone version (A405DL) as far as I know it only comes with the Vzw SIM. And your other question about a PP SIM. You can use the Tracfone SIM that comes in the MyFlip, don't need a PP SIM. That's how I and others activated theirs on PP. PP = Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    Yea we have BB and Target both. My sis is out with my dad right now and they are going to stop by both places I think.
    I suspect that if we take dad off of his VZ plan, that mom will also have to come off - I think their $50/month plan is a special deal for the two phones.

I see that Tracphone uses VZ and AT&T. How do you know which network that you are getting, if you sign up?
    The MyFlip uses Vzw, not AT&T. Otherwise, I wouldn't have first suggested it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    The next best option might be to get a Tracfone flip phone and port in your dad's phone #. Both of my parents are now using TF.

Despite how the reviews look, a lot of people on HoFo like the Alcatel MyFlip.

It is $14.99 from https://www.walmart.com/ip/TracFone-...hone/564300365.

Or, if Best Buy is more convenient, it is $19.99 from https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tracfon...?skuId=6254220.

Then you just need to buy an airtime card that matches his needs, and port in his phone #.

Feedback Score
    Chessie, you haven't mentioned how many minutes each of your parents use. That could make a difference on which MVNO will be best for their usage.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    be sure to test VZW LTE (VoLTE) where your dad is... VZW VoLTE does NOT equal VZW CDMA coverage and in some instances can be dramatically worse. Just because your dad had good CDMA coverage does not mean he will get good VZW VoLTE signal.

otherwise, yes, the MyFlip is a good choice, almost the only choice for a VZW VoLTE flipphone.

Feedback Score
    Chessie, you haven't mentioned how many minutes each of your parents use. That could make a difference on which MVNO will be best for their usage.
    Well, we had to change their VZ plan a few years back because they were getting overages when in the hospitals. (They have been in and out a few times.) I feel like most months, 500 minutes would be fine, for each of them, but I would feel better with a little more than that. I will see if I can check their VZ bills and see what kind of usage they have had.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    be sure to test VZW LTE (VoLTE) where your dad is... VZW VoLTE does NOT equal VZW CDMA coverage and in some instances can be dramatically worse. Just because your dad had good CDMA coverage does not mean he will get good VZW VoLTE signal.

otherwise, yes, the MyFlip is a good choice, almost the only choice for a VZW VoLTE flipphone.
    Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Well, we had to change their VZ plan a few years back because they were getting overages when in the hospitals. (They have been in and out a few times.) I feel like most months, 500 minutes would be fine, for each of them, but I would feel better with a little more than that. I will see if I can check their VZ bills and see what kind of usage they have had.
    Those PagePlus paygo plans might not be the best if they use around 500 minutes/mo.

But another PagePlus option that could be used with the TF MyFlip is the $12/mo 500/500/100 plan.

There might be better and/or cheaper plans out there, but limiting factors are: 1) flip phone, and 2) Vzw network

Feedback Score
    Those PagePlus paygo plans might not be the best if they use around 500 minutes/mo.

But another PagePlus option that could be used with the TF MyFlip is the $12/mo 500/500/100 plan.

There might be better and/or cheaper plans out there, but limiting factors are: 1) flip phone, and 2) Vzw network
    Thanks a bunch Boz, hopefully my memory is bad and they don't really use that much.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11. Past: iPhone 8, iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, Moto E, iPhone 5c,
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile | US Mobile |Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just want to give a vote for the MyFlip. You may find it in a Tracfone (make sure it says V on the package -- indicating Verizon network), Total Wireless or Straight Talk. It is a phone that works on the Verizon network through one of these MVNO prepaid providers. LTE calling works great.

My 91 year old grandma has a hell of a time hearing on at he regular landline phones. We can actually communicate almost perfectly with her with her hearing aids in -- with the MyFlip.

Because Page Plus is a Tracfone company that sim in the MyFlip can be activated on Page Plus as well, if for some reason you found their plans more appealing. You if you go with any of these Tracfone companies you will want to set it up for automatic billing to a credit card. I don't think you want your 93 year old dad going out and buying phone cards or calling some automated system to refill minutes.

EDIT: And if you do go to one of these prepaid providers with the MyFlip -- you will need to go through the process of porting the #'s on the Verizon account to the new provider. You will need his Verizon Account # and PIN (which is probably last four of SSN unless he deliberately made a separate PIN with them)

Feedback Score
    So they used very VERY few minutes the last month. BUT, they have wifi calling. Do these prepaid plans offer that? Anyone know?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by luckystreich View Post
    I just want to give a vote for the MyFlip. You may find it in a Tracfone (make sure it says V on the package -- indicating Verizon network), Total Wireless or Straight Talk. It is a phone that works on the Verizon network through one of these MVNO prepaid providers. LTE calling works great.

My 91 year old grandma has a hell of a time hearing on at he regular landline phones. We can actually communicate almost perfectly with her with her hearing aids in -- with the MyFlip.

Because Page Plus is a Tracfone company that sim in the MyFlip can be activated on Page Plus as well, if for some reason you found their plans more appealing. You if you go with any of these Tracfone companies you will want to set it up for automatic billing to a credit card. I don't think you want your 93 year old dad going out and buying phone cards or calling some automated system to refill minutes.

EDIT: And if you do go to one of these prepaid providers with the MyFlip -- you will need to go through the process of porting the #'s on the Verizon account to the new provider. You will need his Verizon Account # and PIN (which is probably last four of SSN unless he deliberately made a separate PIN with them)
    Thank you!!!!

For sure we will do auto-pay. They would never EVER be able to figure out a phone card LOL!!

Feedback Score
    So they used very VERY few minutes the last month. BUT, they have wifi calling. Do these prepaid plans offer that? Anyone know?
    Correction....I kind of assume the have WiFi calling!

Feedback Score
    Correction....I kind of assume the have WiFi calling!

But maybe not...maybe flip phones don’t have that.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    You can use that Alcatel flip phone with Total Wireless. They have a plan with unlimited talk and text (no data) for $23.75 (+ taxes and fees), when using autopay. See this link: https://www.totalwireless.com/serviceplan?session=reset

TracFone has a $20 similar plan, even includes 1 Gb of data (although you wouldn't be needing it).
    See here: https://www.tracfone.com/shop/plans
    Last edited by mframe; 11-21-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Feedback Score
    Okay - we bought the TracFone Alcatel MyFlip phone tonight, (and it has the "V" on it) at Walmart, for 14.99. Great price! Since I wanted to get him set with a working phone ASAP, I went ahead and bought a $20 TracFone prepaid card, so at least I can get him with a working phone tomorrow night after work. We'll look at the different plans later, and figure out what works best for him. After seeing how few minutes they actually use, I think that $12 plan would be perfect for him. And after we get him working, I'll get mom one too.

Thanks so much everyone!! Much appreciated!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast