Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Arrrgggg! Dad dropped his Verizon flip phone in the toilet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessie* View Post
    Thanks a bunch Boz, hopefully my memory is bad and they don't really use that much.
    You're welcome.

One great thing about the PPC paygo plan is that any remaining balance rolls over forever, as long as you add funds before each account expiration date.

So, if they use less in normal months, but then a big month comes up, they will have all the previously unused funds available when needed.

Also, the initial and refill purchases and port in can all be handled from the PPC website.

Good luck!

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Also, the initial and refill purchases and port in can all be handled from the PPC website.

Good luck!
    But Chessie is going to have to invest a whopping 99˘ in a PagePlus SIM card, correct?
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    But Chessie is going to have to invest a whopping 99˘ in a PagePlus SIM card, correct?
    If you mean if she decides to go to PP from Tracfone and needs another Sim to do it, a BYOP TF SIM kit from your local big box will work too. I don't know of any other issues porting from one TF company to another though (?)
    It's been mentioned and done many times before that instead of buying a PP SIM on their website and waiting for it, just run down to your local big box and get a Tracfone BYOP SIM kit. Whether a TF BYOD SIM or a SIM that comes in the TF you buy, it will be ok to activate on PP or other Tracfone company. (assuming of course same network)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    No. Any TF Vzw SIM card can be used on any TF-owned MVNO. The My Flip will come with a TF Vzw SIM card, so it can be used to port into/activate on PPC.

Feedback Score
    Well, just thought I'd update this thread. Dad won't use the My Flip. I mean, he will use it right after I show him, but the next day, he can't figure it out. It is different enough (the navigation, and how to make a call) that he just can't grasp it. He'd had that old Verizon phone for so many years, and I guess at 93 he just can't absorb learning a new phone. And yes, we have showed him, about 4 or 5 times now. Loaded all the new contacts in...he just can't deal with "different".

The card runs out on 2/20, so I guess I need to explore other options. Oh, he can't hear the dang ring either - it just is not as loud as the old phone, and I have put the loudest ring on there. I'm just not sure what options there are for an old man that refuses to wear his hearing aids, and can't learn anything new. Any advice is most welcome!

Device(s)
    LG Google Nexus 5x, Samsung Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Ultra Mobile
    Feedback Score

Sent you a PM

Well, just thought I'd update this thread. Dad won't use the My Flip. I mean, he will use it right after I show him, but the next day, he can't figure it out. It is different enough (the navigation, and how to make a call) that he just can't grasp it. He'd had that old Verizon phone for so many years, and I guess at 93 he just can't absorb learning a new phone. And yes, we have showed him, about 4 or 5 times now. Loaded all the new contacts in...he just can't deal with "different".

The card runs out on 2/20, so I guess I need to explore other options. Oh, he can't hear the dang ring either - it just is not as loud as the old phone, and I have put the loudest ring on there. I'm just not sure what options there are for an old man that refuses to wear his hearing aids, and can't learn anything new. Any advice is most welcome!
    Sent you a PM - too long to post here

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score

Sounds like my grandma too. It takes her some time before she get use to a phone tho.

Feedback Score

Thanks for the update.

BTDT. The agonizing answer for us was that, at some point, there is no answer. We went through years of frequent very unpleasant calls and accusations that we wouldn't show her how to use her cellphone (and CD player and radio, door locks, washing machine, and on and on). Of course we patiently had over and over again. She had just reached the point where she couldn't understand or retain that sort of info anymore (or much else).

With us it wasn't even a different cellphone. She had lost the ability to understand that it had to be turned on to work and had to be charged occasionally, aside from the other, now impossible, operation of the phone.

We got her one of those "Help I've fallen and can't get up" button things. When the crisis came she did not use it because they would break the door down and somehow figured out how to call a neighbor on her cordless landline.

There are a few "senior" phones that have a dedicated "SOS" button that can call a number you program. We found one that had a charging cradle that would work like her cordless landline handset, but the issue became moot before going that route.

It's a tough situation to live through for them and us. The best advice I can offer is: do the best you can, but don't let it drag you down, make you feel guilty, etc.

Feedback Score
    I got my 85-year-old blind father the Alcatel flip and it was not loud enough. I ordered the Doro 7050 and it works much better for him. Louder and buttons are better. You can set the number buttons to speak out loud or turn that feature off. He loves the Doro.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Thanks for the update.

BTDT. The agonizing answer for us was that, at some point, there is no answer. We went through years of frequent very unpleasant calls and accusations that we wouldn't show her how to use her cellphone (and CD player and radio, door locks, washing machine, and on and on). Of course we patiently had over and over again. She had just reached the point where she couldn't understand or retain that sort of info anymore (or much else).

With us it wasn't even a different cellphone. She had lost the ability to understand that it had to be turned on to work and had to be charged occasionally, aside from the other, now impossible, operation of the phone.

We got her one of those "Help I've fallen and can't get up" button things. When the crisis came she did not use it because they would break the door down and somehow figured out how to call a neighbor on her cordless landline.

There are a few "senior" phones that have a dedicated "SOS" button that can call a number you program. We found one that had a charging cradle that would work like her cordless landline handset, but the issue became moot before going that route.

It's a tough situation to live through for them and us. The best advice I can offer is: do the best you can, but don't let it drag you down, make you feel guilty, etc.
    Thanks. I know, it really sucks to get so old that nothing much works anymore. I thought about the SOS phone thing but knowing my dad, he would hit that button by accident, 5 times a day. You should see all the accidental pictures he has taken with his windows phone (which he uses for music). I had thought he might be able to use the Window phone (which I love - wish they still were supported) for voice as well, but it was too difficult for him to adjust to. A smart phone will not work for him. (The Windows music player is killer easy, thankfully.)

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Have you considered trying a different launcher designed for kids and seniors?
    I've tried Simple and Necta. Really liked Necta but it's no longer free.
    Your, you're, yore; there, their, they're; to, too, two; by, buy; add, ad; for, four, fore.
    a) better to light a candle, or b) curse the darkness?

Feedback Score
    Geez. Then I am looking at buying a new smartphone...and an android at that. Not sure I want to go through all that trouble just to wind up having to drive out there every time he has a problem with his phone. And that WILL happen. Guaranteed. Maybe if I could find a phone that was inexpensive enough that if it didn't work, I could just toss the thing. Not sure it is worth the effort, but thanks for the idea. It does look like a simple launcher, but if there is anyway to screw it up, he would do it.

Feedback Score
    Well, just thought I'd update this thread. Dad won't use the My Flip. I mean, he will use it right after I show him, but the next day, he can't figure it out. It is different enough (the navigation, and how to make a call) that he just can't grasp it........
    I had to make the transition for my mother. Instead of having contacts on the phone just write them down like the old days. With the MyFlip you don't need to open a dialer. Just open the phone and enter the number and press the green like any old flip. When your done with the call just close it, no need to hit end. Actually no different then a landline
    Only issue will be, voice mail since he'll likely not remember how to do those on any phone except landline type answering machine. I didn't even attempt VM or contacts lists with my mom, just basic calling.
    Beyond the simple call process anything else sounds like it won't work for him (or my mom) on any phone. His music or pictures will need another device.

There's also discussion in the ST Forum about that cell base station you can plug a regular landline handset into. Maybe an option.

Good luck.

Feedback Score

With elderly people, make a visual aid for him - a print out with numbered simple steps with pictures.

A. To make a call - numbered steps below this with graphics
    B. To receive a call
    C. To check voice mail
    D. To see Contacts

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Personally I recommend the Kyocera DuraXV LTE for the elderly.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/basi...sku=sku2690148

It can handle being dropped on cement or in toilets as it's ruggedized.

You realize the $99 flip phones at Verizon are only $4.12 per month financed for 2 years? The DuraXV is $11/mo

Don't know why they told him $99 is the cheapest, there is a $79.99 available:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/basi...sku=sku3520136

Here is all the basic phones: https://www.verizonwireless.com/basic-phones/

I usually don't even consider prepaid for seniors because if they're anything like my grandma they only pay bills via paper check via mail every month and that is not a option with prepaid. My grandma has a $30/mo Verizon plan with unlimited talk/text and 500mb of data.
    Personal: Sprint Apple iPhone 6s (A1688) on Sprint Post Paid SERO Premium SWAC Plus running iOS 13.4 with Sprint 41.0 and PRL 55072 and modem firmware 7.51.01 and SIM card version 63.09a
    Work: Verizon LG G2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast