Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wifi calling and HD Voice on Verizon

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Wifi calling and HD Voice on Verizon

Just noticed that BestBuy is running a decent sale on Samsung phones and had a question.

If I were to purchase a Samsung Note 10 Plus on Best Buys site, and that is locked to Verizon, would I be able to use HD Voice and wifi calling? Video calling too? I tried posting at slick deals but didn't get any replies.

Thanks

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by curvefan View Post
    Just noticed that BestBuy is running a decent sale on Samsung phones and had a question.

If I were to purchase a Samsung Note 10 Plus on Best Buys site, and that is locked to Verizon, would I be able to use HD Voice and wifi calling? Video calling too? I tried posting at slick deals but didn't get any replies.

Thanks
    It should work just fine if it is locked to Verizon.
    Verizon-branded variants natively support VoLTE and should support WiFi Calling.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, that's what I was hoping for...

Device(s)
    Note 9, S9, S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Its unfortunate that both Verizon and AT&T require the branded (not unlocked) models to work with their VoLTE and WiFi Calling, even though it's also built I to the Unlocked model's firmware.
    I had got S9 Plus and had to ODIN Flash the AT&T firmware on it to get those features to work.
    ==>My Amazon page with LED car headlight bulbs: Diamond Vision LED

=>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I was just mainly trying to understand why anyone would purchase a phone on the Verizon web site when BestBuy is selling them a lot cheaper?

I realize that this a holiday sale from BestBuy, but why wouldn't Verizon at least match their prices? Unless, there were some features that you didn't get unless you purchased directly from Verizon, like wifi calling, HD Voice, and Video calling.

Hence the reason for my post. I didn't want to purchase this phone from BestBuy and find out later that these features wouldn't work since I purchased them from BestBuy and not Verizon directly.

So how does Verizon sell any phones on their site?

Feedback Score
    So how does Verizon sell any phones on their site?
    Four answers off the top of my head:

Because everyone does not shop around.

Because sometimes Verizon has sales which are better than Best Buy.

Because some people don't know if phones bought at Best Buy will have the same features.

Because some people don't have close access to a Best Buy and don't want to purchase a phone online.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    Four answers off the top of my head:

Because everyone does not shop around.

Because sometimes Verizon has sales which are better than Best Buy.

Because some people don't know if phones bought at Best Buy will have the same features.

Because some people don't have close access to a Best Buy and don't want to purchase a phone online.
    Thanks. Makes perfect sense....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    Its unfortunate that both Verizon and AT&T require the branded (not unlocked) models to work with their VoLTE and WiFi Calling, even though it's also built I to the Unlocked model's firmware.
    I had got S9 Plus and had to ODIN Flash the AT&T firmware on it to get those features to work.
    VoLTE works on non branded Verizon phones otherwise they wouldn't allow activation and wi-fi calling works on the more popular brands. iPhone Samsung galaxy series Pixels.

Feedback Score
    Did I misunderstand that right? There are many unlocked unbranded phones that get those features on Verizon direct. They're even on the Vzw whitelist. Even Verizon mvno's have had VoLTE on unlocked unbranded phones for over a year. And ATT is starting to open it up more even on mvno's with their start of 3G shut down.

Feedback Score
    I was just mainly trying to understand why anyone would purchase a phone on the Verizon web site when BestBuy is selling them a lot cheaper?
    A) The nearest Best Buy is 65 miles away and in a place I rarely ever go to. I certainly wouldn't make a special stop there. The next nearest is 100 mile away. Many people assume there are Best Buys and Costcos near everyone. I've never been to a Costco ever. And Best Buy forces you to go to store to Buy a phone they won't deliver it to you house. Verizon will.

B) Best Buy's phones may be cheap but everything else is expensive and the employees are annoying always pestering you. I made sure the last time I was in Best Buy which was 7 or 8 years ago was my last.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    A) The nearest Best Buy is 65 miles away and in a place I rarely ever go to. I certainly wouldn't make a special stop there. The next nearest is 100 mile away. Many people assume there are Best Buys and Costcos near everyone. I've never been to a Costco ever. And Best Buy forces you to go to store to Buy a phone they won't deliver it to you house. Verizon will.

B) Best Buy's phones may be cheap but everything else is expensive and the employees are annoying always pestering you. I made sure the last time I was in Best Buy which was 7 or 8 years ago was my last.
    Yeah, that's what I meant to say.

I've been living in an RV for over 11 years and I move around quite a bit in the West. There's always a Verizon store around, though it may be in the back of a hardware store in a small town. It wasn't uncommon at all to be over 100 miles from the nearest Best Buy.

Feedback Score
    Its unfortunate that both Verizon and AT&T require the branded (not unlocked) models to work with their VoLTE and WiFi Calling, even though it's also built I to the Unlocked model's firmware. I had got S9 Plus and had to ODIN Flash the AT&T firmware on it to get those features to work.
    VoLTE works on my moto G5s plus factory unlocked using Verizon prepaid. WIFI Calling is not either setup or enabled on my phone.

Feedback Score
    Only WiFi calling and Video Calling are the features that are exclusive on the branded phones.

Who cares? Everyone has many other apps to choose from to communicate over data - Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Google Voice...

PS: MVNO's have also introduced RCS Universal Profile in Google Mesages, that allows similar functionality over data

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Only WiFi calling and Video Calling are the features that are exclusive on the branded phones.

Who cares? Everyone has many other apps to choose from to communicate over data - Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Google Voice...

PS: MVNO's have also introduced RCS Universal Profile in Google Mesages, that allows similar functionality over data
    True, but there are cases where native WiFi calling will be better than VoIP:

1) Corporate, many government and other high-profile locations access to non-work social platforms are blocked. There are tons of places where Facebook is restricted and many times that includes Facebook-owned WhatsApp. WiFi Calling is more likely to work, especially when a companies relies heavily on mobile phones. This does depend on how an IT department sets up it's network.

2) Speaking as user of Google Voice since just after Google bought up GrandCentral: GV is still a bit behind on some features such as universal 2FA access and being recognized as a mobile number rather than a VoIP one (even Fi users have this issue if they use a number with GV previously).

3) Not as applicable in this forum, but there are a lot of people who would rather avoid using multiple messaging platforms to contact family, etc. WiFi Calling is a flip switch and it [basically] works with all outgoing phone numbers. This is also why iMessage is popular (flip switch and go) and that is what, like you said, RCS is hoping to accomplish.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    True, but there are cases where native WiFi calling will be better than VoIP:

1) Corporate, many government and other high-profile locations access to non-work social platforms are blocked.
    Maybe because you should not use the Government secure networks for your personal use? In those places you are not allowed to bring in a phone either...
    2) Speaking as user of Google Voice since just after Google bought up GrandCentral: GV is still a bit behind on some features such as universal 2FA access and being recognized as a mobile number rather than a VoIP one (even Fi users have this issue if they use a number with GV previously).
    For those uses you definitely don't need WiFi calling, just go where you have cell signal, use the LTE. If the provider doesn't have coverage, maybe is time to switch.
    But that's digressing. What I said is that everyone in Europe uses WhatsApp, only older people use the phone to call normally. Here I use WhatsApp with most, GV for international calls to those older people. Both of them have integration with my PC desktop. RCS has it too via Google Messages for Windows.

3) Not as applicable in this forum, but there are a lot of people who would rather avoid using multiple messaging platforms to contact family, etc. WiFi Calling is a flip switch and it [basically] works with all outgoing phone numbers. This is also why iMessage is popular (flip switch and go) and that is what, like you said, RCS is hoping to accomplish.
    I agree with that, RCS wants to do that and on my MVNO is already accomplished. But most of the non-iPhone people already have another app installed, families get the word around, that's how WhatsApp spread in Europe. Younger people install and setup this app for their parents (I have a 75 yr aunt that sends me pictures and uplifting memes via WhatsApp!).
    That's why I think RCS it's too late in the game... especially with the stupid opposition from carriers in US. And Samsung that doesn't support it in the native Samsung Messages even if they claimed they will do. They think it will be a cash cow??? So they kill it rather than allowing Google to control this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast