Thread: Canada Roaming

Hybrid View

Feedback Score

Canada Roaming

Hi,
    I am going to Canada today. I am on the 4 lines for $100 unlimited plan. Will I get 2G only in Canada or faster data? What do I have to do for service to start working when I cross the border I have an iPhone XR
    Thanks,

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron2001 View Post
    Hi,
    I am going to Canada today. I am on the 4 lines for $100 unlimited plan. Will I get 2G only in Canada or faster data? What do I have to do for service to start working when I cross the border I have an iPhone XR
    Thanks,
    Where are you going? As long as you have roaming enabled on your phone, it should just work. As for speeds, it would be up to 3Mbps just like in the US, but the 2G language is there because you're at the mercy of whatever the Canadian carriers can provide (AT&T Prepaid says the exact same thing).

I seem to recall my iPhone favoring Telus when I was on Cricket and at Niagara Falls a few years back. I was in Toronto on AT&T Prepaid about a month ago and my phone stayed on Rogers the entire time. Speeds were basically the same as I got here, sometimes with a slightly higher latency.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron2001 View Post
    Hi, I am going to Canada today. I am on the 4 lines for $100 unlimited plan. Will I get 2G only in Canada or faster data? What do I have to do for service to start working when I cross the border I have an iPhone XR Thanks,
    see here - https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...nd-canada.html

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone SE, Zmax 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Tello, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    If you have the newer Unlimited Plan that has Canada/Mexico roaming, then it'll work fine. There's some older/Grandfathered group plans that don't have roaming included. You might need to enable roaming in settings if your phone as such settings. Not sure about iPhones.

Max speed is 3Mbps. It'll auto home in on Rogers network, but you can manually select Bell/Telus if your phone allows network selection. Could not connect to Freedom.

Latency is high because it's assigning a US IP address (mobile-107-77-164-xxx.mobile.att.net), so all the data is being bounced back to AT&T US servers.

Here's a network selection screenshot from an Android phone forcing it to Telus.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Slepy; 11-22-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Feedback Score
    Got a separate question, policy says "cellular data usage in Canada needs to stay under 50% of your total usage in a 3-month period", does this mean they will evaluate my usage after 3 months?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
    Got a separate question, policy says "cellular data usage in Canada needs to stay under 50% of your total usage in a 3-month period", does this mean they will evaluate my usage after 3 months?
    From what I've seen/heard about this, it's always been stated, but no it strictly enforced (I could be wrong, but not many people have shared anything other than maybe a text). I think the idea is so that you don't move to Canada and keep Cricket. If you want to keep things on the up-and-up, it may make sense just to fire up your streaming service of choice and let it burn up a few GB while in the US.

Device(s)
    Apple Iphone 6+
    Feedback Score
    I get way more then 3mbps in Canada. And it will pick telus/Bell (They are the same towers despite being different companies.) But I have an unbranded S7. Not a cricket one.

I was there on the weekend and was getting 60mbps.
    Disclaimer: Everything I say in this forum and on this website I say as a private citizen and not as an employee of any company of which I may or may not write about. Furthermore none of my postings are done on computers or networks of the the above stated.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taichanie View Post
    I get way more then 3mbps in Canada. And it will pick telus/Bell (They are the same towers despite being different companies.) But I have an unbranded S7. Not a cricket one.
    What Cricket plan are you on? And yeah - the Bell/Telus arrangement is certainly interesting - you probably could've also manually hopped on Rogers since that seems to be one that AT&T/Cricket often will lock in on some devices.

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    Yeah like poster #2, we went to Canada in August of 2018 and it just worked. I didn't ave to do anything to have voice, texting or data.