Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: AT&T AT&T Fires Up Low-Band 5G network w/Maps

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Doing some more digging on this new Note 10 and I personally wouldn't recommend getting it for anyone that wants the latest features. Wait until next year's Sammy's. I haven't found anything indicating that this device (x55 modem) supports any other upload carrier aggregation combo besides 5+5. We've started to see what the iPhone 11's are doing in some markets in terms of speeds and UL combos. $1,300 ?? Nah.

Name:  Screenshot_20191126-152132_Write on PDF.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  51.2 KB

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Doing some more digging on this new Note 10 and I personally wouldn't recommend getting it for anyone that wants the latest features. Wait until next year's Sammy's. I haven't found anything indicating that this device (x55 modem) supports any other upload carrier aggregation combo besides 5+5. We've started to see what the iPhone 11's are doing in some markets in terms of speeds and UL combos. $1,300 ?? Nah.

Name:  Screenshot_20191126-152132_Write on PDF.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  51.2 KB
    Is that what the regular note 10+is certified for?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Is that what the regular note 10+is certified for?

I believe the regular Note 10/10+ and S10's support 5+5 and 66+66 UL. For some reason, the 5G Note doesn't appear to support 66+66 UL CA.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I believe the regular Note 10/10+ and S10's support 5+5 and 66+66 UL. For some reason, the 5G Note doesn't appear to support 66+66 UL CA.
    Oh well, very happy with my choice not to wait.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    I just can't see a whole lot of spectrum being moved over to 5G anytime soon. Using n5/n2 with a 5x5 deployment makes sense to put it on the map, but beyond that, it's going to be a few years before a critical mass of devices exists to actually make it more efficient than LTE. DSS is one potential solution once that critical mass is there, but it has an efficiency loss as well, so for the time being, LTE is where it's at.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    No mmwave access for non commercial users according to this story so speeds will be better than 4G, maybe double or better but not eye popping. They must have enabled DSS (spectrum sharing) early through their vendors as this was not expected til next year.
    Nope only 5-10% faster on a per MHz basis of course when you take away spectrum form 4G to use it for 5G you'll actually get lower speeds. Nope DSS is not a thing yet. They'll be separating 4G from 5G. Anyone who buys a 5G phone now is dumb

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Nope only 5-10% faster on a per MHz basis of course when you take away spectrum form 4G to use it for 5G you'll actually get lower speeds. Nope DSS is not a thing yet. They'll be separating 4G from 5G. Anyone who buys a 5G phone now is dumb
    I got that doubling speeds estimate right from Tmobile -

https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/.../d/d-id/751055

It's only going to maybe 9 months for DSS and phones that support that to be released so if I was looking at a phone I would certainly wait.

Sprint is using 'split mode' to offer 5G and 5G simultaneously on the same band 41 antennas from the same hardware vendors everyone else is using though I haven't seen anything saying what the difference between that and DSS are I'm guessing Sprint is setting an amount of band 41 for 4G and another amount for 5G.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    I got that doubling speeds estimate right from Tmobile -

https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/.../d/d-id/751055

It's only going to maybe 9 months for DSS and phones that support that to be released so if I was looking at a phone I would certainly wait.

Sprint is using 'split mode' to offer 5G and 5G simultaneously on the same band 41 antennas from the same hardware vendors everyone else is using though I haven't seen anything saying what the difference between that and DSS are I'm guessing Sprint is setting an amount of band 41 for 4G and another amount for 5G.
    It's only 5-10% for sub-1ghz frequencies. T-Mobile is pulling a fast one there, they are comparing 5mhz of B71 LTE to 5mhz of B71 LTE plus 5mhz of n71 5G, even though they would get roughly the same effect from just deploying more 4G on the same spectrum. Once you're up to b41/n41, the difference is pretty significant, since it's frequency dependent.

Sprint has a crapload of 2600mhz spectrum, so they are running something like 40 or 60mhz of n41 while they still have at least one separate 20mhz channel of B41 LTE active, possibly more. It's also TDD, not FDD, so that 160mhz of spectrum can do even more with 20mhz B41 channels and 40-60mhz n41 channels. DSS actually shares the same spectrum, but there is no free lunch, and there is a performance penalty for doing so.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    It's only 5-10% for sub-1ghz frequencies. T-Mobile is pulling a fast one there, they are comparing 5mhz of B71 LTE to 5mhz of B71 LTE plus 5mhz of n71 5G, even though they would get roughly the same effect from just deploying more 4G on the same spectrum.

That's not very 'uncarrier' of them or maybe it is.

Feedback Score
    Wouldn’t having mmwave, midband and low band be the end goal for all? Aren’t there plans for a midband auction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    That's not very 'uncarrier' of them or maybe it is.
    They're working towards re-carrier. They haven't done Fake 5G yet, even though they invented Fake 4G (not the technology of HSPA+, but the idea of calling 3G technology 4G).

At least in this case it will technically be 5G, even if AT&T has more low-band bandwidth on Fake 5G than T-Mobile has on real 5G. No wonder people are confused and don't care.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    Wouldn’t having mmwave, midband and low band be the end goal for all? Aren’t there plans for a midband auction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's auction 103 this month for Upper 37 GHz, 39 GHz, and 47 GHz and they'll be at least two more auctions next year for CBRS and C band according to news reports. At some point I expect AT&T and Dish to push for their sat spectrum to be allowed for wireless, well Dish is already for that but not AT&T.

Chips that support both sub 6ghz and mmwave won't be available till mid to late 2020 and DSS which enables both to operate at the same time along with 4G won't be implemented till then either. Not sure that means they'll support everything though either.

As has been said, maybe a mistake to buy a 5G phone now, unless you plan on upgrading again next year to more fully take advantage.

Qualcomm X55 and MediaTek Dimensity 1000 will be what to look for later next year. iPhone 12's will have QC modems (the X55) by default next year for the first time in over a decade though maybe not in the SE remake earlier next year.

I'm just parroting what I read online there are others here with a better understanding of what's going on.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    There's auction 103 this month for Upper 37 GHz, 39 GHz, and 47 GHz and they'll be at least two more auctions next year for CBRS and C band according to news reports. At some point I expect AT&T and Dish to push for their sat spectrum to be allowed for wireless, well Dish is already for that but not AT&T.

Chips that support both sub 6ghz and mmwave won't be available till mid to late 2020 and DSS which enables both to operate at the same time along with 4G won't be implemented till then either. Not sure that means they'll support everything though either.

As has been said, maybe a mistake to buy a 5G phone now, unless you plan on upgrading again next year to more fully take advantage.

Qualcomm X55 and MediaTek Dimensity 1000 will be what to look for later next year. iPhone 12's will have QC modems (the X55) by default next year for the first time in over a decade though maybe not in the SE remake earlier next year.

I'm just parroting what I read online there are others here with a better understanding of what's going on.
    The new Note 10+ 5G's that are coming out this month have the X55. More than likely the S11 and Note 11's will have a newer version by then. We should be hearing some good rumors about the upcoming Galaxy S11 in the next month or two.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    The new Note 10+ 5G's that are coming out this month have the X55. More than likely the S11 and Note 11's will have a newer version by then. We should be hearing some good rumors about the upcoming Galaxy S11 in the next month or two.
    https://www.att.com/buy/phones/samsu...aura-glow.html

You're right, so late 2020 there should be an X60 or X65 chip with more capabilities.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    I'm nerding out on here about this stuff, and I'm sticking with the x24 in my Note 9 for a while! Meanwhile, Joe Average goes and buys the iPhone 11 with 2x2 MIMO and an Intel LTE radio.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast