Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 75

Thread: AT&T AT&T Fires Up Low-Band 5G network w/Maps

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,604
    Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    0

    AT&T AT&T Fires Up Low-Band 5G network w/Maps

    No mmwave access for non commercial users according to this story so speeds will be better than 4G, maybe double or better but not eye popping. They must have enabled DSS (spectrum sharing) early through their vendors as this was not expected til next year.

    https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/1...ote10-plus-5g/

    Even though AT&T was the first in the United States to boast a 5G network, as yet, its millimeter wave service has only been available on to enterprise customers with a Netgear hotspot. But after Sprint put out its wider-reaching next-gen towers and with T-Mobile waiting in the wings, Ma Bell has now decided to allow regular consumers to use a phone on a new, low-band 5G grid in five markets over the next few weeks and ten more by mid-2020.


    The carrier is launching pre-orders of the Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G from November 25. No full retail price has been announced — Samsung's minimum MSRP for a Verizon unit: $1,300 — but if customers get on an eligible service plan, take on 30-month device financing, and receive full marks on a trade-in device, they can get a promotional price of $350..........................................
    5G Maps 1st 5 cities November 25th

    https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-con..._San_Diego.jpg San Diego

    https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-con..._Rochester.jpg Rochester

    https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-con...Providence.jpg Providence

    https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-con...Pittsburgh.jpg Pittsburgh

    https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-con...dianapolis.jpg Indianapolis

    5G Maps additional cities early 2020

    https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-con...D_San_Jose.jpg San Jose

    https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-con..._Las_Vegas.jpg Las Vegas

    https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-con...ED_Buffalo.jpg Buffalo

    https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-con...Bridgeport.jpg Bridgeport

    https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-con...NED_Boston.jpg Boston

    https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-con...Birmingham.jpg Birmingham

    https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-con...D_New_York.jpg NYC

    https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-con..._Francisco.jpg San Fran

    https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-con..._Milwaukee.jpg Milwaukee

    https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-con...Louisville.jpg Lousiville

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,248
    Feedback Score
    0
    With 5G that must mean goodbye to B5 on LTE and hello low band 5G B5?

    Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Almont, Michigan
    Posts
    4,167
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    0
    Not sure why their graph is showing range of 2 miles on sub-6 spectrum.


    Name:  Screenshot_20191122-121704_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  44.6 KB

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,838
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    DSS is not ready yet. This is a pure 5x5 MHz B5 channel dedicated to NR, formerly LTE. And 2 miles of range on B5 is definitely possible.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

    Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,248
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    DSS is not ready yet. This is a pure 5x5 MHz B5 channel dedicated to NR, formerly LTE. And 2 miles of range on B5 is definitely possible.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Do you think they will do B5 in areas where they don't own B12?

    Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,604
    Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    DSS is not ready yet. This is a pure 5x5 MHz B5 channel dedicated to NR, formerly LTE. And 2 miles of range on B5 is definitely possible.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Thanks, that must also be how Tmobile intends to do 5G on band 71 this year. In that case I'm not sure how much of an effect this will have on download speeds for those buying a new phone given such a small amount dedicated to it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,248
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Thanks, that must also be how Tmobile intends to do 5G on band 71 this year. In that case I'm not sure how much of an effect this will have on download speeds for those buying a new phone given such a small amount dedicated to it.
    TMO will be doing 10x10 B71 tho.

    Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Almont, Michigan
    Posts
    4,167
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    DSS is not ready yet. This is a pure 5x5 MHz B5 channel dedicated to NR, formerly LTE. And 2 miles of range on B5 is definitely possible.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Hmm. Range on n5 should be a lot further than that given the propagation of B5 LTE.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,630
    Feedback Score
    0
    Unless they do spectrum swap with Verizon there are a lot of areas where at&t doesn't have band 5. And even with swapping with Verizon there are many places they still wouldn't have band 5 because someone like US Cellular owns the other block. For example Phoenix AZ, Charlotte, NC, Montgomery, AL, Cleveland OH are a few places where Verizon owns both blocks of band 5. Other places like Knoxville TN, half of NC most of Iowa Verizon owsn one block US Cellular owns the other. Of course this problem also applies to Verizon when they eventually go to use band 5 for 5G. Hence why Verizon and at&t doing deals where they do swaps helps both sides.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,248
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Unless they do spectrum swap with Verizon there are a lot of areas where at&t doesn't have band 5. And even with swapping with Verizon there are many places they still wouldn't have band 5 because someone like US Cellular owns the other block. For example Phoenix AZ, Charlotte, NC, Montgomery, AL, Cleveland OH are a few places where Verizon owns both blocks of band 5. Other places like Knoxville TN, half of NC most of Iowa Verizon owsn one block US Cellular owns the other. Of course this problem also applies to Verizon when they eventually go to use band 5 for 5G. Hence why Verizon and at&t doing deals where they do swaps helps both sides.
    They will use B2 in those areas.

    Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,630
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    TMO will be doing 10x10 B71 tho.

    Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    Even in places where they only on 10X0 or 15X15 band 71? I doubt that.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,630
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    They will use B2 in those areas.

    Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    Band 2 is 1900 and doesn't have near the range of band 5. Less than half. Which means deploying more equipment. Which means more $$$ spent

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,248
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Even in places where they only on 10X0 or 15X15 band 71? I doubt that.
    10x10 only areas no. My area is a 15x15 and LTE was 10x10 now it's down to 5x5 to do 10x10 5G. NYC only has 10x10 and it's possible to might not even get B71 LTE until DSS becomes available

    Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,248
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Band 2 is 1900 and doesn't have near the range of band 5. Less than half. Which means deploying more equipment. Which means more $$$ spent
    Yes but that's the plan.

    Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,630
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    10x10 only areas no. My area is a 15x15 and LTE was 10x10 now it's down to 5x5 to do 10x10 5G. NYC only has 10x10 and it's possible to might not even get B71 LTE until DSS becomes available

    Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    My area is also 15X15 band 71 and I was excited when T-mobile first got band 71 but if they are only deploying 5X5 LTE I have less incentive to switch to them. At&t and Verizon both have better low band spectrum portfolios in my area then in that case. 15X15 would have made them competitive

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 59
    Last Post: 10-03-2019, 07:25 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-25-2019, 02:04 PM
  3. Cingular/AT&T's Latest AMPS Report
    By awj223 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-09-2007, 04:01 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-25-2003, 07:14 AM
  5. Rogers AT&T Wireless customer service finally smartening up?
    By alpha tag in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-02-2002, 10:15 PM

Bookmarks