Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: AT&T AT&T Fires Up Low-Band 5G network w/Maps

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    My area is also 15X15 band 71 and I was excited when T-mobile first got band 71 but if they are only deploying 5X5 LTE I have less incentive to switch to them. At&t and Verizon both have better low band spectrum portfolios in my area then in that case. 15X15 would have made them competitive
    TMO will likely work to get people onto 5G devices like they did going from H+ to LTE. That might be harder tho as flagship prices are a rip off

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Yes but that's the plan.

One again at&t and Verizon have done swaps with each other before and with T-Mobile. I'm not sure why they would be against more deals that benefit both. No one should have been able to own both blocks. I guess in Miami, Orlando and Jacksonville at&t's band 5 5G will be pretty good since they own both blocks in those places. They can keep one bock for LTE and use the other for 5G.

Feedback Score
    One again at&t and Verizon have done swaps with each other before and with T-Mobile. I'm not sure why they would be against more deals that benefit both. No one should have been able to own both blocks. I guess in Miami, Orlando and Jacksonville at&t's band 5 5G will be pretty good since they own both blocks in those places. They can keep one bock for LTE and use the other for 5G.
    For contiguous blocks on AWS and PCS. They are no going to swap any low-band spectrum. Vzw isn't not going to give up B5 for anything else. Att will not give those up either

Feedback Score
    TMO will likely work to get people onto 5G devices like they did going from H+ to LTE. That might be harder tho as flagship prices are a rip off

Right. No way I pay $1000 for a phone. And this "we will give you this $1000 phone for $500 but only if you pay it off over 2 years so we got you by the balls" crap either.

Feedback Score
    For contiguous blocks on AWS and PCS. They are no going to swap any low-band spectrum. Vzw isn't not going to give up B5 for anything else. Att will not give those up either

So you're telling me that Verizon and at&t wouldn't do a deal where Verizon gives one of the 2 blocks of band 5 they own in Charlotte NC for one of the 2 blocks of band 5 at&t owns in Orlando considering both metros areas about the same size? That's a win-win deal. Kind of hard to have a "nationwide" low band 5G plan when you don't own low band "nationwide". At least T-Mobile owns 600 MHz EVERYWHERE.

Feedback Score
    So you're telling me that Verizon and at&t wouldn't do a deal where Verizon gives one of the 2 blocks of band 5 they own in Charlotte NC for one of the 2 blocks of band 5 at&t owns in Orlando considering both metros areas about the same size? That's a win-win deal. Kind of hard to have a "nationwide" low band 5G plan when you don't own low band "nationwide". At least T-Mobile owns 600 MHz EVERYWHERE.
    That's the point of small cells to help where mid any high band can't reach. Problem solved. 5 years from now when more people are using 5G it could be possible to use B13,14, and 12. Dish will be able to do low band everywhere between B71 and then when they get B26

Feedback Score
    That's the point of small cells to help where mid any high band can't reach. Problem solved. 5 years from now when more people are using 5G it could be possible to use B13,14, and 12. Dish will be able to do low band everywhere between B71 and then when they get B26

Band 14 is FirstNet and it will be a long time before the government allows at&t to use any of that for 5G. Every first responder customer would have to have n14 equipment before that is allowed to happen.

As far as small cells that isn't going to happen in rural areas.

Considering at&t's recent boneheaded moves in other areas in recent years it wouldn't surprise me they can't see the big picture when it comes to having a consistent network.

Feedback Score
    I hope this helps the network for existing LTE customers too. My area keeps seeing a ton of work for AT&T all over the place with new fiber optics. They did a lot of work already and more work is now going on. I am in an area of NYC which will have 5G. It seems like at least where I am, fiber cables are going up all over. IÂ’ve never seen AT&T add so much new fiber optics here before and when I think they are finished, they add even more permits for fiber optics. I am not sure if Corning is supplying AT&TÂ’s fiber optics cables or not. I presume there will be small cells placed all over the fiber cable route paths as well as direct connectivity to additional residential and commercial where they can get access.

This area was a Verizon stronghold and Verizon is adding additional fiber as well but not as much as AT&T as Verizon installed it earlier.

The New York map wasn’t surprising to me and confirmed what I already knew but showed it in more specific detail.

I was trying to get AT&T to do work by me for ages. Now it is just a matter of it being finished and activated soon.

As far as 5G phone prices, they will go down quickly as suppliers ramp up production and make additional models of devices.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    TMO will be doing 10x10 B71 tho.

Seems like a lot of spectrum to dedicate to people who have one of the 3-4 $1,000 phones that have that sub 6ghz 5G radio but buying those now on Tmo means as they light up more and more through DSS next year those phones will continue to benefit. It looks like AT&T is differentiating their 5G by not selling or enabling mmwave on 5G phones to non business customers.

I wonder if AT&T taking a 5x5 from existing 3G coverage for people who will buy this one phone! They already scheduled a 3G shutdown so I guess that's likely.

DSS will light up all the spectrum next year w/o dedicating anything (on equipment that is 5G ready, a lot of it is), a much better way to go about it imo.

Apple was correct to hold off till next year for 5G radios, even then they'll likely miss some bands. What a mess.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Is it possible they shut down wcdma here in NYC? They've had band 5 lte and band 5 wcdma running side by side. There was only that one channel left running.

This is great news though!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Band 2 is 1900 and doesn't have near the range of band 5. Less than half. Which means deploying more equipment. Which means more $$$ spent
    But, in the prehistoric days when the possible cell phone spectrum was band 5 (850mhz) or band 2 (PCS), these would have already been PCS-only markets, so presumably they already have enough site density to provide adequate coverage on band 2.

That said.. I wonder how they decided band 5 would have a 5G range of like 2 miles? If that's it, I guess 4G will have to be up for a loooong while.. In several rural counties here in Iowa, Verizon Wireless has those sites (that they inherited from whoever put them up in the 1980s) where 1 site is on a hilltop covering virtually a whole county; it's routine to have 4G at 10 miles range on these sites.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    But, in the prehistoric days when the possible cell phone spectrum was band 5 (850mhz) or band 2 (PCS), these would have already been PCS-only markets, so presumably they already have enough site density to provide adequate coverage on band 2.

That said.. I wonder how they decided band 5 would have a 5G range of like 2 miles? If that's it, I guess 4G will have to be up for a loooong while.. In several rural counties here in Iowa, Verizon Wireless has those sites (that they inherited from whoever put them up in the 1980s) where 1 site is on a hilltop covering virtually a whole county; it's routine to have 4G at 10 miles range on these sites.
    I don't believe 5mhz of band 5 or 10mhz of band 71 are going to break any speed records. Verizon will have the same issue with their low bands when they enable them. The intent here is to say 'look we have 5G'. These are really coverage bands so to juice the speeds you create a smaller footprint.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Is it possible they shut down wcdma here in NYC? They've had band 5 lte and band 5 wcdma running side by side. There was only that one channel left running.

This is great news though!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    I'm guessing they'll shut down B5 LTE there instead of UMTS. Manually check both to see which one is offline Joey. All B5 LTE disappeared in my area about a week ago but 3G is still up and running. I'd say they'll be deploying n2 in areas where they don't have CLR, given their PCS holdings in many areas.

The upcoming Note 10+ 5G on AT&T will be sub-6 NR so it could support these other 5G bands: n2, n12, n14, n29, n30, and n66. Although given Samsungs history of not being future proof, I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm waiting to find out what exact model this is and check the FCC certs.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    I'm guessing they'll shut down B5 LTE there instead of UMTS. Manually check both to see which one is offline Joey. All B5 LTE disappeared in my area about a week ago but 3G is still up and running. I'd say they'll be deploying n2 in areas where they don't have CLR, given their PCS holdings in many areas.

The upcoming Note 10+ 5G on AT&T will be sub-6 NR so it could support these other 5G bands: n2, n12, n14, n29, n30, and n66. Although given Samsungs history of not being future proof, I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm waiting to find out what exact model this is and check the FCC certs.
    No new 3G activations on AT&T starting on Feb 19th 2020 from what I've read. Would they be protecting 3G spectrum anywhere at this point or are you just looking at that specific market in that thought? AT&T has so many bands and there's no good info generally available on what areas have what bands in what strengths.

I 'believe' when they say sub 6ghz radio they mean every band on the phone is capable of that. There's no phones out yet that support both sub 6ghz and mmwave so my earlier assertion that AT&T is not going to offer both to non commercial customers may be way off base.

Jack is right when he says customers that bought 5G phones up to this point got short changed.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max/Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    From the looks of the San Francisco Bay Area map looks like my house is one of the few homes that’s going to be covered by 5G in my city. To bad I switched over to Verizon and ain’t looking to go back

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast