Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: AT&T AT&T Fires Up Low-Band 5G network w/Maps

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    I hate to say it but with VZW your iPhone X is less dated than on T. You really need a 4x4 device with band 14 and all the CA capabilities to notice "5Ge". If you're seeing 5Ge, that means that 4x4 mimo is active on midband on most sites in that TAC, not to mention 256/64QAM which you can get with the X and 3x-CA, but you're missing the full network potential.

256/64QAM needs ideal signal. 4 x 4 helps the sinr, which in turn helps 256/64QAM stay active, or else you fall to 64QAM/16QAM. One compliments the other.
    I’ve been planning on upgrading in Fall 2020 to whatever models are coming next year. I didn’t realize I was missing out on band 14 until I looked it up not too long ago. I was quite surprised to learn that a device as recent as the X doesn’t support band 14. I thought AT&T already had the FirstNet contract by that point and would’ve made sure that generation of iPhones was covered. Either way, it’s just becoming increasingly noticeable that there are areas with no coverage or high congestion on band 12, while others I know with iPhone X (and one with a 7) on Verizon appear to "just work" everywhere.

That being said, I noticed that the "5Ge flag" seems to behave differently on newer devices that support 4CA and 4x4 MIMO like the XS and 11. My fiancée’s XS has showed 5Ge in a significant number of TACs where my X shows LTE. Basically the XS says 5Ge nearly everywhere we go, while the X has distinct places where it consistently appears and disappears. I assume I only see the 5Ge indicator on the X when the TAC is flagged for it and 256QAM is available?

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    They don't own any 850 in Charlotte or Raleigh or most of NC for that matter. Verizon owns it all in Charlotte and Raleigh. Perhaps since they own all the 850 in Orlando, Jacksonville and Miami( pretty much the east coast of Florida ) at&t and Verizon could do a swap for their extra 850 in NC. win-win.
    They don't own any 850 in the former Edge Wireless areas (like ours), either, Edge served NorCal, Southwest Oregon, Southeast Idaho and Jackson, Wyoming. Up here in the former Edge Wireless areas of NorCal, the 850 is owned by Verizon and U.S. Cellular, in Southeast Idaho, Verizon owns all of the 850.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blkballoon925 View Post
    I’ve been planning on upgrading in Fall 2020 to whatever models are coming next year. I didn’t realize I was missing out on band 14 until I looked it up not too long ago. I was quite surprised to learn that a device as recent as the X doesn’t support band 14. I thought AT&T already had the FirstNet contract by that point and would’ve made sure that generation of iPhones was covered. Either way, it’s just becoming increasingly noticeable that there are areas with no coverage or high congestion on band 12, while others I know with iPhone X (and one with a 7) on Verizon appear to "just work" everywhere.

That being said, I noticed that the "5Ge flag" seems to behave differently on newer devices that support 4CA and 4x4 MIMO like the XS and 11. My fiancée’s XS has showed 5Ge in a significant number of TACs where my X shows LTE. Basically the XS says 5Ge nearly everywhere we go, while the X has distinct places where it consistently appears and disappears. I assume I only see the 5Ge indicator on the X when the TAC is flagged for it and 256QAM is available?
    That's interesting. Didn't know different devices would show differently. How does your fiance's XS work in the area's your x struggles? The Intel modem isn't helping the situation in your X.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    That's interesting. Didn't know different devices would show differently. How does your fiance's XS work in the area's your x struggles? The Intel modem isn't helping the situation in your X.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Actually, I went out of my way to buy a X with the Qualcomm modem after having a horrific experience with call audio dropping on the reverse path on an iPhone 7 with an Intel modem a few years ago. I'd be talking and people would regularly tell me that portions of audio would just cut out blank. Didn't matter if I was in a stronger signal area or near the tower. Having had the X since Nov. 2017, I can safely say that issue is not present in the Qualcomm MDM9655.

As far as our experience, the XS with the Intel modem seems to slightly outperform the X with regard to speed when service is available. Though I now suspect that's more due to band 14 being there to augment capacity and participate in CA, rather than any improvements between those generations of modems. The Qualcomm MDM9655 in the X is probably more in line with the capabilities of the Intel 7560 in the XS. The X is just missing the 4x4 MIMO antennas. If I remember right, the modem itself had the capability, but disabled by Apple since they didn't put the additional antenna in the X.

In areas with fringe service, usually indoors, the X and XS seem to be identical -- both phones will show no service.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    They've been inconsistent with what "5GE" means since they rolled it out. It's an even bigger joke than Faux G.

Though I now suspect that's more due to band 14 being there to augment capacity and participate in CA, rather than any improvements between those generations of modems. The Qualcomm MDM9655 in the X is probably more in line with the capabilities of the Intel 7560 in the XS. The X is just missing the 4x4 MIMO antennas. If I remember right, the modem itself had the capability, but disabled by Apple since they didn't put the additional antenna in the X.
    It could be antenna design as well.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    They've been inconsistent with what "5GE" means since they rolled it out. It's an even bigger joke than Faux G.
    Isn’t it 400 Mbps peak speeds, dependent on factors such as handset, spectrum, and backhaul? 8/8+/X/Xr/11 manage it by having access to 4CA and 256QAM.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Isn’t it 400 Mbps peak speeds, dependent on factors such as handset, spectrum, and backhaul? 8/8+/X/Xr/11 manage it by having access to 4CA and 256QAM.

That's interesting that there's a "peak speed" criteria. My understanding based on what was discussed when "5Ge" was first announced was that it meant 4CA + 4x4 MIMO + 256QAM on the handset and majority/significant portion of the TAC.

For some reason, it seems to me that the iPhone 8/X were kind of "grandfathered in" under 4CA + 256QAM only. Perhaps because there were a large number of iPhone 8/X out in the wild at the time of the announcement. Either way, the absolute best speed I've ever seen with the iPhone X on AT&T was almost exactly 200 Mbps down right near a tower in Columbus, OH that was part of a 5Ge TAC. Nowhere near that 400 Mbps, unless that's purely theoretical.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post

It could be antenna design as well.
    5Ge is LTE, fake 5G.
    It is LTE-a or called LTE+

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Maybe it is now? When it was first announced, 4x4 MIMO was part of the deal, until it started showing up on iPhone X's.

That's interesting that there's a "peak speed" criteria. My understanding based on what was discussed when "5Ge" was first announced was that it meant 4CA + 4x4 MIMO + 256QAM on the handset and majority/significant portion of the TAC.

For some reason, it seems to me that the iPhone 8/X were kind of "grandfathered in" under 4CA + 256QAM only. Perhaps because there were a large number of iPhone 8/X out in the wild at the time of the announcement. Either way, the absolute best speed I've ever seen with the iPhone X on AT&T was almost exactly 200 Mbps down right near a tower in Columbus, OH that was part of a 5Ge TAC. Nowhere near that 400 Mbps, unless that's purely theoretical.
    Could be. I've gotten 460mbps on my Note 9, no way an iPhone X or 8 could get that!

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    low band means low speed...even though covers better

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    Low band doesn’t automatically mean low speed. It’s about the available channel size and not the frequency it’s running. 20MHz of 600MHz will provide the same speed as 20MHz of B2 if we factor in both using 2x2 MIMO. 4x4 MIMO is not available on low band for the most part, but that’s an antenna spacing issue.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S9, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Low band doesn’t automatically mean low speed. It’s about the available channel size and not the frequency it’s running. 20MHz of 600MHz will provide the same speed as 20MHz of B2 if we factor in both using 2x2 MIMO. 4x4 MIMO is not available on low band for the most part, but that’s an antenna spacing issue.

4x4 is most certainly available on Low Band. AT&T is using it on most B14 deployments and often converting the existing B12/17 to 4x4 at the same time. They’ve also been deploying B5 with 4x4 for over a year now, since the new 5G NR RRH’s are capable.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    4x4 is most certainly available on Low Band. AT&T is using it on most B14 deployments and often converting the existing B12/17 to 4x4 at the same time. They’ve also been deploying B5 with 4x4 for over a year now, since the new 5G NR RRH’s are capable.
    Not sure which devices support 12/14/5 4x4. I'm not seeing it on my Note 10 5G.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    That's entirely true for 4G, it starts to get weird with 5G, as the speed gains over 4G are almost non-existent at 600mhz, but become quite significant by 2600mhz.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S9, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Not sure which devices support 12/14/5 4x4. I'm not seeing it on my Note 10 5G.
    Fair enough. I was looking at it from the network side, where 4x4 is enabled on Low Band. Even though there is no device support for it, the 4x4 on the network side still helps provide a better, cleaner signal in both the Uplink and Downlink, since both the UE and the RRH will utilize the two cleanest RF paths of the four available.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    Fair enough. I was looking at it from the network side, where 4x4 is enabled on Low Band. Even though there is no device support for it, the 4x4 on the network side still helps provide a better, cleaner signal in both the Uplink and Downlink, since both the UE and the RRH will utilize the two cleanest RF paths of the four available.
    Cool. Hopefully they are working on devices to support it, and will have a sufficient antenna stack to support low band CA. If that's on AT&T's future roadmap of course.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast