Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: AT&T AT&T Fires Up Low-Band 5G network w/Maps

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    https://www.att.com/buy/phones/samsu...aura-glow.html

You're right, so late 2020 there should be an X60 or X65 chip with more capabilities.
    From what I read it might be in the s11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    From what I read it might be in the s11.

Let's hope so. The fact that this new 5G Note 10 with the X55 doesn't support upload CA combos like the iPhone 11, or wasn't certified for them, is totally unacceptable. Not having mmWave isn't a big deal because of the very limited coverage, but $1,300 for a device that isn't even out yet that doesn't support all the active network features is a rip. Not sure if that's on AT&T or Samsung.

Feedback Score
    Are there maps of 5g for North Carolina

Feedback Score

AT&T AT&T Fires Up Low-Band 5G network w/Maps

Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Let's hope so. The fact that this new 5G Note 10 with the X55 doesn't support upload CA combos like the iPhone 11, or wasn't certified for them, is totally unacceptable. Not having mmWave isn't a big deal because of the very limited coverage, but $1,300 for a device that isn't even out yet that doesn't support all the active network features is a rip. Not sure if that's on AT&T or Samsung.
    I might test the note 10 5g because Iím itching for a new phone. But I agree. I have a question though. How beneficial is mmwave? Does it mean itís only going to be deployed outdoors and that means customers canít get the fastest speeds unless they are outside and in line of sight or can they install mmwave indoors at certain locations? And also since it seems At&Tís low band 5g is more widespread im wondering if itís all around my area like 4g lte or is that not accurate? Whatís also weird is that they havenít even released their s10 5g ...

And why are they differentiating 5g from 5g + per their website. Donít we have a right to access of 5g +?

Am I right to assume that Raleigh and Charlotte are only test beds for 5g+ but wonít get 5g low band this year?

Last edited by cnotes20191; 12-02-2019 at 04:25 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    I might test the note 10 5g because Iím itching for a new phone. But I agree. I have a question though. How beneficial is mmwave? Does it mean itís only going to be deployed outdoors and that means customers canít get the fastest speeds unless they are outside and in line of sight or can they install mmwave indoors at certain locations? And also since it seems At&Tís low band 5g is more widespread im wondering if itís all around my area like 4g lte or is that not accurate? Whatís also weird is that they havenít even released their s10 5g ...

And why are they differentiating 5g from 5g + per their website. Donít we have a right to access of 5g +?

Am I right to assume that Raleigh and Charlotte are only test beds for 5g+ but wonít get 5g low band this year?

I'm pretty sure 5+ is mmWave and currently only available to business customers. mmWave has very short range and is most beneficial when you are in an environment where there are several nodes around. From what I've seen on Verizon UWB, it barely works inside the vehicle but they are working on improving the signal through beamforming. I'm sure indoor deployments are planned in some places as well. AT&T's lowband 5G definitely will be widespread and should work well indoors like LTE. Speeds will be ok, but not as fast as 3/4/5 CA we are currently seeing on LTE-A.

In the two cities you spoke of where 5G+ is deployed, AT&T will most certainly deploy 5G as well. Lowband 5G will be deployed on regular macro sites.

Feedback Score
    In the two cities you spoke of where 5G+ is deployed, AT&T will most certainly deploy 5G as well. Lowband 5G will be deployed on regular macro sites.[/QUOTE]

But they havenít yet? As I donít see them mentioned on those released maps which sucks. More reason not to even test the note 10 5g.

Feedback Score
    ...How beneficial is mmwave? Does it mean itís only going to be deployed outdoors and that means customers canít get the fastest speeds unless they are outside and in line of sight or can they install mmwave indoors at certain locations?...
    mm-Wave currently has very little utility for handset use except in a few niche cases. They have put mm-Wave 5G in some NFL stadiums and Verizon is running fixed mm-Wave wireless in a few metro areas for Internet and cable-substitute media delivery.

We can expect more stadiums, arenas, etc. to have mm-Wave 5G installed. The Verizon fixed wireless requires an antenna outside and feeding the data inside where it is distributed as Ethernet and Wifi. As you noted, mm-Wave does not penetrate materials well. It has short range and does not penetrate walls and windows without the signal being attenuated to unusable.

I ask myself, "what can't I do with 4G LTE at 5 Mbps?" My answer is nothing. I get traffic, weather, news, mapping, etc. just fine.

These are early days for 5G at mm-Wave and the lower bands. It will be several years before enough of it is installed to make a significant dent in the usability of 4G LTE or have a significant advantage. What we are hearing about these initial 5G deployments is marketing hype. 5G will be good when it is widely deployed, but that will take years.

AFAIK, there are no 5G phones yet with both mm-Wave and the lower bands. At this point a 5G phone would just be a very expensive toy with marginal utility that will be obsolete in a year or two.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    In the two cities you spoke of where 5G+ is deployed, AT&T will most certainly deploy 5G as well. Lowband 5G will be deployed on regular macro sites.

But they havenít yet? As I donít see them mentioned on those released maps which sucks. More reason not to even test the note 10 5g.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I haven't checked the two cities, but AT&T has mentioned nationwide 5G by next year so if it's not live yet, it will be by next year.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    How many POPS are covered by lowband NR as of today?
    ďThe Internet wasnít meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so itís insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead ó itís a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.Ē John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    So is low band 5g nationwide coming next year or this year??

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    So is low band 5g nationwide coming next year or this year??

I believe they are lighting up an additional 10 markets on top of the 5 they recently announced by mid 2020 per the article posted by the OP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I believe they are lighting up an additional 10 markets on top of the 5 they recently announced by mid 2020 per the article posted by the OP.
    Thatís nationwide? Iíve read articles saying theyíll have nationwide coverage by then....

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Yep. Nationwide 5G in mid-2020. Not 5G+ which is mmWave. That will be expanding next year as well but not natiomwide.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Yep. Nationwide 5G in mid-2020. Not 5G+ which is mmWave. That will be expanding next year as well but not natiomwide.
    I read an article that theyíll be 4 or 5 iPhones with some only having mmwave and the others having only sub6 which sucks

Feedback Score
    Not exactly. Pro models (12 Pro & Pro Max) will have both mmWave AND low/mid band.

Non-Pro 12 (XR3 and maybe SE2) will only have low & mid. SE2 might be 4G only.

All will have the X55 but non pro wonít get the mmWave antennas

For most people mmWave is nothing but BS anyway. Like LAA and LTE-U unless youíre in a stadium or similar line of sight mass crowd venue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5