Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will AT&T unlock a GoPhone if used only on MVNO?

Feedback Score

Will AT&T unlock a GoPhone if used only on MVNO?

I want to buy the Moto E5 Play, $30 Black Friday for the AT&T prepaid version, for use on FreedomPop. I do not plan to use it on AT&T at all. Will AT&T unlock it after 6 months of service if I use it on MVNO's only?

I miss those good old days when they unlocked GoPhones by request with no restrictions!!

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by der_lizzard View Post
    I want to buy the Moto E5 Play, $30 Black Friday for the AT&T prepaid version, for use on FreedomPop. I do not plan to use it on AT&T at all. Will AT&T unlock it after 6 months of service if I use it on MVNO's only?

I miss those good old days when they unlocked GoPhones by request with no restrictions!!
    Nope. Would need to be used on ATT prepaid for the required time

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    OP, you can pay an unlocking service if you don't qualify. There is more than one unlocking service in the advertiser forum here on HOFO. Check with them to see what it might cost and/or if your phone can be unlocked.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    For a $30 phone it isn't THAT big an issue if it is limited to ATT networks
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    I bought an AT&T LG Xpression Plus last year when it was on sale at Wal-Mart for $50. Used it on Freedom Pop for at least six months. Then I submitted the IMEI to AT&T for unlocking on their website and to my surprise they emailed me back the unlock code within a few minutes.

Not sure if everyone will get the same results but it doesn't hurt to try.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    That could have saved me money this year when I impulsed purchased a prepaid phone, then had to keep it on a cheap plan for 6 months. Which added $60 to the cost I wasn't expecting. (I had thought I could just activate it on my existing ATT Prepaid plan, then wait 6 months while using my main phone on the plan).

I have another "home" phone on a h2owireless plan that I could have parked the phone on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    For a $30 phone it isn't THAT big an issue if it is limited to ATT networks
    Agree - I'll just buy the phone and hope for the best!! Plenty of ATT MVNO's out there, but I would like to experiment with T-mobile to see for myself how good their coverage is...

Feedback Score
    Agree - I'll just buy the phone and hope for the best!! Plenty of ATT MVNO's out there, but I would like to experiment with T-mobile to see for myself how good their coverage is...
    Are you in a big city & never walk into structures?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Are you in a big city & never walk into structures?
    I don't understand the comment about structures? I live in Chicago, so I expect service to be good here, but my parents live in rural S. Carolina so that's where I want to test out coverage. AT&T struggles there; Verizon is the dominant provider.

Device(s)
    LG Xpression Plus, LG V20 Sprint Unlocked, LG Tribute HD, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier Watch
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    I have 2 ATT prepaid phones, the Huawei Ascend XT2 and LG Xpressions 2 Plus. I used both on Red Pocket GSM-A (using ATT service). They were both unlocked on the ATT unlocking portal after about 6 months of use.
    Mobile:

LG Xpression Plus Unlocked-Red Pocket 500/500/500
    LG V20 LS997 Unlocked-Freedompop Free ATT
    Huawei Ascend XT2 Unlocked-Freedompop Free ATT
    iPhone SE 32 GB ATT-FreeUP
    LG Tribute HD
    Samsung Gear S3 Frontier (non-LTE)
    Samsung Chromebook Plus
    ______
    Prior Phones:

LG G4 H810, Lumia 820, LG Volt, LG Tribute 2, LG Optimus Exceed 2, LG Realm, Moto X 2014 (Pure Edition), Moto X 2013, Nexus 5, Nokia Lumia 520, Nokia Lumia 1020, Samsung Galaxy S3, iphone 3G

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMagm View Post
    I have 2 ATT prepaid phones, the Huawei Ascend XT2 and LG Xpressions 2 Plus. I used both on Red Pocket GSM-A (using ATT service). They were both unlocked on the ATT unlocking portal after about 6 months of use.
    How recently? In the last year or so ATT has made their unlocking requirements much stricter.

The phone I bought in January, activated on my existing ATT Prepaid account, then put aside while I used my regular phone. A couple months later I pretty much read that the clock reset if you used a different phone on the account, so I opened up a new line ($2/day if used so I could keep my costs low). After 6 months I wasn't able to unlock it. It was 6 months on the second account, so about 8 months total.

But maybe it would have worked on an MVNO if I had known.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I'm currently trying T-Mobile for my main line (so I can add my Apple Watch to my plan, and T-Mobile postpaid is cheaper for me than ATT or Verizon postpaid), and it works better than a few years ago when I last tried it.

Still a little inferior where I use it (though fine at work and at home). But I don't have a B71 compatible phone (Which this E5 Play is).

The comment about structures is that historically, T-Mobile wasn't as good in structures due to no low frequency bands. It is funny, in my work place, Verizon is hurt by being in the structure more than T-Mobile and ATT, losing LTE more easily.

Device(s)
    LG Xpression Plus, LG V20 Sprint Unlocked, LG Tribute HD, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier Watch
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    I unlocked my lg xpressions plus in July 2019, the Huawei a year before.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMagm View Post
    I unlocked my lg xpressions plus in July 2019, the Huawei a year before.
    Thanks. Probably still safe to say YMMV since there is no guarantee ATT will continue to do this.

And since I have more phones than lines, I must resist the temptation to buy another backup phone so that, in 6 months, I can have a B71 phone on T-Mobile. Especially since I may buy a flagship phone next fall (it has been 2 years now)

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It will work fine on FreedomPop straight out of the box. 100% verified since I’m using an AT&T Moto E5 with FreedomPop.

Best Buy has the Moto E5 Play for $30 currently. No need to wait for Black Friday to pick one up.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo
    Joplin T-Mobile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast