Thread: Swap Samsung for iPhone - insurance?

Feedback Score

Swap Samsung for iPhone - insurance?

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy 9, and have the insurance on it. The Samsung is paid off. My brother wants to give me a used iPhone 7 Plus. If I move the SIM from the Samsung to the iPhone and sell the Samsung, will my insurance still cover the iPhone? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    You're asking if you can insure all the phones in your household and for your friends and family and acquaintances by insuring just one phone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    You're asking if you can insure all the phones in your household and for your friends and family and acquaintances by insuring just one phone?
    The OP is clearly asking if a phone insurance policy can be transferred to a different phone, not insuring multiple phones with one policy Like when you buy a new car you transfer the insurance. Good question. I never get insurance so wouldn't know.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    The OP is clearly asking if a phone insurance policy can be transferred to a different phone, not insuring multiple phones with one policy Like when you buy a new car you transfer the insurance. Good question. I never get insurance so wouldn't know.
    May be clear to you, but that's not what he asked. He didn't mention a transfer. If you want to insure a different phone, you have to buy insurance for that new phone. It doesn't just transfer to whatever phone you put your sim in.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    I thought it was clear that he wanted to do a transfer, since he would be selling his old phone.

I believe it would be up to the company selling the insurance. Assuming Verizon insurance, he would probably have to prove to Verizon that the phone he was transferring to is in good shape and have them transfer the insurance.

Otherwise, it would open up a lot of abuse opportunities. Phone not working, have him insert his sim then file a claim.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    May be clear to you, but that's not what he asked. He didn't mention a transfer. If you want to insure a different phone, you have to buy insurance for that new phone. It doesn't just transfer to whatever phone you put your sim in.
    I see what you mean about just randomly moving a SIM around. That wouldn't work. I was thinking like kevink1 said, that they'd need to notify who ever the insurance is through and meet any requirements to do a transfer.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Verizon, like all 4 of the major carriers use Assurian for wireless phones. If the OP files a claim on a different phone, they will only provide a replacement based on the original insured phone. Doesn't matter if he switches the SIM to an iPhone, they won't send an iPhone, only an equivalent Samsung. The only time he can switch coverage is if the phone is purchased new within 30 days or during the open enrollment dates (ususally 2-3 months each year). Assurian makes this very clear and there is no way to get Verizon CS to override this.
    Last edited by veriztd; 11-25-2019 at 02:48 PM.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Yes, I can't believe they would insure a five year old iPhone.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    The iPhone 7 Plus was released in 2016, 3 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Okay, I stand corrected. I can't believe that they would insure a three year old used phone.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Insurance is a big money maker for the carriers -- that's why they push it so hard. The older the phone, the less cost there is for them to replace it if something happens. The age-related mechanical breakdown rate is very low for phones, so most of the insurance claims are water intrusion or other physical damage. Replacing a $1,000 device vs. a $400 device when you collect the same premium ($10 - 15/ month in most cases) makes the less expensive phone more profitable to the insurer.

That said, usually insurance has to be added when the phone is new -- this way everyone knows it's in "new condition" when it was insured. The insurance is linked to the model (and often the serial #) of the originally insured device, so a simple SIM swap would usually not do anything. Sometimes they carrier runs an "open enrollment" window that lets existing phones get added -- so I would call Verizon and ask if it can be added (and the other phone dropped).

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I also have to agree. The question is clear. He is asking about swapping from one phone to the other not is whole family’s phones. Kinda a harsh response. I think it’s a valid question. I’ve never used carrier insurance before either.

Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by astrand1 View Post
    I also have to agree. The question is clear. He is asking about swapping from one phone to the other not is whole family’s phones. Kinda a harsh response. I think it’s a valid question. I’ve never used carrier insurance before either.

Think about what you just wrote. If you can swap the sim from one phone to another and it be covered, what's to keep someone from swapping their neighbors phone when it gets broke, or their cousin's, or any other............and get them a new phone? Obviously, the whole family is not going to break all their phones at the same time, but each one of them would be covered by insuring a single one.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Think about what you just wrote. If you can swap the sim from one phone to another and it be covered, what's to keep someone from swapping their neighbors phone when it gets broke, or their cousin's, or any other............and get them a new phone? Obviously, the whole family is not going to break all their phones at the same time, but each one of them would be covered by insuring a single one.
    Agreed. The OP's comments, if they actually did it, is essentially insurance fraud.