Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thinking of leaving AT&T: wait it switch?

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I have zero noticeable battery drain when using WiFi calling, Just turn it on and see what it does. I'll bet it makes it usable and she will be fine going forward with that.
    What phone do you use? I know for a fact mine drained faster with wifi calling on. No doubts.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Other factor that could affect battery life is access points settings. I've seen power save mode off on some APs; they're used to be compatibility problems years back, but I haven't seen it recently, even when the actual access points were pretty old. If that's off, the phone wifi radio stays on ALL THE TIME to listen for traffic for it. With power saving on, the access point tells power save devices to only wake up at a specific time "DTIM", and the DTIM interval defaults to 100ms (1/10th of a second.) All power save mode wifi devices then wake up every 1/10th of a second, and the access point sends a packet telling which ones need to stay awake (the rest can all go back to sleep). The AP sends them their traffic, and tells each one to either stay awake (if much traffic is coming in for it) or go back to sleep.

So you could improve battery life by making sure power save mode is on on the access point. (It's off sometimes, because devices years ago seemed to have real driver problems with power save mode; I haven't seen a problem with it in years personally.) Also, DTIM interval defaults to 100 but turning it up to 250 or so apparently has no ill effects and reduces wifi battery use further (devices only have to wake up 4x a second instead of 10.)

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
    What phone do you use? I know for a fact mine drained faster with wifi calling on. No doubts.
    I've used WiFi Calling on my iPhone SE, 6+, 8+ XS Max, 11ProMax

in fact, with WiFi calling on I actually get *better* battery life as it's handing the base signaling off to the local WiFi AP with a strong signal instead of the weak cellular network.

Even when I've had a Google Pixel, it was not any noticeable battery drain caused by WiFi calling. and this has been on Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T. In fact i'm using AT&T WiFi right now on my iPhone due to LTE being weak enough to drop calls in my house in Columbus, OH.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My battery is much better in a very weak signal environment with wifi calling. Especially putting on airplane mode and then turning on wifi. Doesn't get any better than that.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Maybe my WiFi was too weak with AT&T. I have since switched internet providers since then so my battery might work better at home with WiFi calling on, but the issue is with that address I posted in the first post.

The problem is at my in-laws’ house, and they have slightly weak WiFi. Thanks for the replies!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
    Maybe my WiFi was too weak with AT&T. I have since switched internet providers since then so my battery might work better at home with WiFi calling on, but the issue is with that address I posted in the first post.

The problem is at my in-laws’ house, and they have slightly weak WiFi. Thanks for the replies!
    I suggest also helping them with proper AP placement.

People love to place them in odd spots where they cannot be seen, then wonder why they do not work correctly.

At the family thanksgiving last night my aunt was complaining her WiFi was weak.. well she had it stuffed essentially in the corner between the printer and outside wall so she could not see the lights. I moved it up on a shelf 3ft over and now the entire house has usable WiFi, and most of it covered in 5GHz.. Placement even a few ft different can make a huge difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2