Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Thinking of leaving AT&T: wait it switch?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    852
    Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Thinking of leaving AT&T: wait it switch?

    So I live in South Dallas, and an area that has been a problem for years (south Dallas, my in-lawsí house) is still not fixed. My wife goes there 2-3 times a week and is even starting to get frustrated. Itís just 15 miles south of Dallas. I donít get what the problem is. We get 0-1 bars and canít call or text at their house. Also we go to Arlington often off of 20. Thereís a lot of congestion I suppose, and our phones are slow there.

    I donít know if with all of the updates coming for 5g if things will get better or not. If we switch, not sure whether to go to T-Mobile or Verizon. We werenít completely satisfied with T-Mobile as it was pretty bad inside most buildings. Not sure if Verizon is better than AT&T.

    Thoughts? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,554
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
    So I live in South Dallas, and an area that has been a problem for years (south Dallas, my in-lawsí house) is still not fixed. My wife goes there 2-3 times a week and is even starting to get frustrated. Itís just 15 miles south of Dallas. I donít get what the problem is. We get 0-1 bars and canít call or text at their house. Also we go to Arlington often off of 20. Thereís a lot of congestion I suppose, and our phones are slow there.

    I donít know if with all of the updates coming for 5g if things will get better or not. If we switch, not sure whether to go to T-Mobile or Verizon. We werenít completely satisfied with T-Mobile as it was pretty bad inside most buildings. Not sure if Verizon is better than AT&T.

    Thoughts? Thanks!
    Are you able to give a nearby street address to that area ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    852
    Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroned3222 View Post
    Are you able to give a nearby street address to that area ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mosslake Drive (DeSoto, TX)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    222
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Which phone do you have? I commute back and forth from Dallas to north Dallas and I have no service issues, even my iPhone is showing 5G when Iím in Dallas


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    ďLet your life mean something. Become an inspiration to others so that they may try to do more and to become more than they are today.Ē

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    852
    Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ij9zapem View Post
    Which phone do you have? I commute back and forth from Dallas to north Dallas and I have no service issues, even my iPhone is showing 5G when Iím in Dallas


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    IPhone 8 Plus and X. We have had a few over the years. Itís weird. The street starts off with service, and then it dips down/declines as you keep going, and the service drops off. Been like this for years. Itís a pain as my wife is over there often.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    711
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    0
    I know it’s easier said than done, but perhaps ask some neighbors what carrier they use - perhaps that would shed some light on this dilemma.

    The coverage maps from ATT, Verizon show solid signal all over, so no help there.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    452
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
    So I live in South Dallas, and an area that has been a problem for years (south Dallas, my in-lawsí house) is still not fixed. My wife goes there 2-3 times a week and is even starting to get frustrated. Itís just 15 miles south of Dallas. I donít get what the problem is. We get 0-1 bars and canít call or text at their house. Also we go to Arlington often off of 20. Thereís a lot of congestion I suppose, and our phones are slow there.

    I donít know if with all of the updates coming for 5g if things will get better or not. If we switch, not sure whether to go to T-Mobile or Verizon. We werenít completely satisfied with T-Mobile as it was pretty bad inside most buildings. Not sure if Verizon is better than AT&T.

    Thoughts? Thanks!
    Switching is always a tough decision with any carrier. You have to figure out what is best for you and how you rate the trade offs. For me itís very close. In Pittsburgh the main players are Verizon and AT&T. For signal indoors Verizon probably has a slight edge but for overall speed AT&T is definitely the winner as Verizon is very prone to congestion.

    As far as if will 5G makes it better that depends on if the carriers use DSS (dynamic spectrum sharing) right out of the gate. In my market with Verizon being so congested pulling some low band spectrum for 5G will only make it worse if DSS is not enabled. AT&T has the extra spectrum so pulling a little low band for 5G wonít make a huge difference. It will be years until you have a large chunk of subscribers on any type of 5G.

    It sounds like where you are at itís not a congestion issue you just donít have much of a signal so another tower is the only real definitive answer.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,306
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    We get 0-1 bars and can’t call or text at their house. Also we go to Arlington often off of 20. There’s a lot of congestion I suppose, and our phones are slow there.

    I don’t know if with all of the updates coming for 5g if things will get better or not.
    The 0-1 bars? Nope, 5G won't help a thing. The mmwave 5G has low range, they do plan on "fill in" sites but it'd be in areas that already have strong signal, just need more speed. The "sub 6" 5G should have similar range to existing services, so you'd have 0-1 bar of 5G.

    Slow speeds in an area from congestion? Right now 5G won't help, the mmwave deployment is limited in coverage, and the 5G channel given for sub6 5G is not particularly large. Next year, when there's somewhat more mmwave, 5G phones that support both mmwave and sub6, and dynamic spectrum sharing (letting existing 4G channels switch to 5G on a timeslot-by-timeslot basis), that's when it makes a difference. If you have a 4G phone, the mmwave 5G (if it's there) will take a massive load off the 4G, and the traffic being carried using sub6 5G will be 20-100% more efficient, easing the load some even if there's only sub6 5g in the area. Of course the 5G phone would get the much higher mmwave speeds if it's available, and the 20-100% better speeds out of whatever slice of the sub6 spectrum it gets otherwise.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    852
    Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for the replies. So it sounds like I donít need to worry about 5g helping at this spot.

    Forgot to mention the funny thing is there is a tower probably half a mile from my in-lawsí house! T-mobile gets about 4 bars at their house (thatís what they have). If it werenít for the poor indoor reception we got everywhere with T-Mobile we might have kept them.

    I would hate to switch to Verizon if it didnít help anything. Our phones arenít paid off with AT&T. I assume we canít get some prepaid SIM from VZ and put it in our phones can we? We have the iPhones that are sold at Best Buy - forgot what they are called. They are not locked to a specific carrier.

    Thanks again.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,873
    Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. So it sounds like I donít need to worry about 5g helping at this spot.

    Forgot to mention the funny thing is there is a tower probably half a mile from my in-lawsí house! T-mobile gets about 4 bars at their house (thatís what they have). If it werenít for the poor indoor reception we got everywhere with T-Mobile we might have kept them.

    I would hate to switch to Verizon if it didnít help anything. Our phones arenít paid off with AT&T. I assume we canít get some prepaid SIM from VZ and put it in our phones can we? We have the iPhones that are sold at Best Buy - forgot what they are called. They are not locked to a specific carrier.

    Thanks again.
    Sounds like panels might not be aimed correctly. Has the site been upgraded lately? Try uploading some pics of the site so we can see the panels. Also, your 100% At&t is on it?

    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    852
    Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Sounds like panels might not be aimed correctly. Has the site been upgraded lately? Try uploading some pics of the site so we can see the panels. Also, your 100% At&t is on it?

    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Sorry, Iím a dummy when it comes to this stuff. I donít know if AT&T is on the tower or not. Not sure if itís been upgraded lately either.

    I just know I havenít had service there for about 5 years with various iPhones. I did the ďmark my spotĒ twice when AT&T had it on their app for troubled network spots. That didnít do anything.

    Thinking about switching to Verizon now.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    1,753
    Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
    We have the iPhones that are sold at Best Buy - forgot what they are called. They are not locked to a specific carrier.
    It sounds like the phone will take a Verizon SIM. Before trying to switch, you should just test coverage with a cheap Verizon Prepaid or MVNO SIM and plan (with a new separate won't keep number).

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,504
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ∑T∑∑∑Mobile∑ USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    First things first, use "Mark The Spot" and see what reply you get.

    I've had AT&T fix service issues in a few areas after that.

    Also, have you just enabled WiFi Calling? I have places on both AT&T and Verizon I have to use it due to a poor signal indoors.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    852
    Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    First things first, use "Mark The Spot" and see what reply you get.

    I've had AT&T fix service issues in a few areas after that.

    Also, have you just enabled WiFi Calling? I have places on both AT&T and Verizon I have to use it due to a poor signal indoors.
    I used mark the spot 2 times in the past few years, and nothing came out of it.

    My wife is the one there, and donít think she has tried WiFi calling. From what I remember my battery seemed to drain much faster keeping it on.

    Might have to go that route though. Thanks

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,504
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ∑T∑∑∑Mobile∑ USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
    I used mark the spot 2 times in the past few years, and nothing came out of it.

    My wife is the one there, and don’t think she has tried WiFi calling. From what I remember my battery seemed to drain much faster keeping it on.

    Might have to go that route though. Thanks
    I have zero noticeable battery drain when using WiFi calling, Just turn it on and see what it does. I'll bet it makes it usable and she will be fine going forward with that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-02-2011, 01:56 PM
  2. Replies: 52
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 12:29 AM
  3. Live in Connecticut and thinking of leaving VZ for AT&T
    By Mojer in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-20-2008, 08:57 PM
  4. Thinking of leaving TMO
    By chiphead in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-04-2003, 07:51 AM
  5. thinking of dropping AT&T...
    By shoei in forum AT&T
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 10:26 AM

Bookmarks