Thread: Google voice as voicemail for carrier number

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Google voice as voicemail for carrier number

Mvno: redpocket GSMA
    Carrier VM is disabled/turned off.

End user is using actual carrier number for in/outbound calls. Google voice is only used for voicemail.

It's been so long since my primary number was carrier based I don't know if this is the expected behavior or not. Issue we're running into is after an unanswered call rings for x amount of time (~25 seconds), it then gets transferred to gv and rings another 25-30 seconds before gv vm actually answers. Total time before answering is ~55 seconds. Too long for most people before they hang up altogether.

Is this the expected behavior or is something amiss?

The carrier number is configured in gv as a [mobile] forwarding number (and unchecked as no forwarding is needed).

Enabling DND causes gv vm to answer immediately. Problem with this is occasionally DND gets turned off.

Thoughts?

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    I've had DND turned on for GV for years, it's never just "turned off" by itself... Odd...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    - If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people in the world?

Current Personal Phone: Google Pixel 3a XL (AT&T PrePaid)

Other phones "in the family": Nokia 6.1 (AT&T), Huawei P20

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Enabling DND causes gv vm to answer immediately. Problem with this is occasionally DND gets turned off.
    DND in GV or on the phone?

Sounds like GV is trying to ring other devices, or even the phone in question (via the app).

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To clarify DND getting turned off... The person using the device may tap on the disable dnd unintentionally.

@St Dog, I agree, it does sound like it's trying to ring other devices. But, there are no other devices configured or checked, even web is toggled off.

For sh|ts and giggles, I checked the single forwarding # (the cell phone). Now it works properly, as soon as the CCF is initiated (after ~30 seconds of ringing), gv vm picks up. But this presents another problem. Several times a day there are inbound spam calls to this gv number, I don't want the cell phone ringing for any numbers dialed to the gv # at all. They should go straight to voice mail.

---------
    Ok, I think I made progress.

I left the check box enabled as above (legacy gv settings) for the cell #, but defined a custom ring schedule as below

This seems to work. It's a very strange work around.

Maybe the ultimate solution is to just port the number to google voice. Renewal is coming up in 3 months. Something to think about.

It would be nice to get feedback from others using gv for vm only with their carrier # and what sort of behavior they're seeing in terms of time before gv vm picks up.

-----------------

Edit, the above is no good. It won't ring the phone during that time frame, but will ring any other time. So back to DND.

Code I used on the phone to set ccf is "**004*11231231234*11*30#"

The 30 at the end is a modifier to ccf after 30 seconds instead of the default 20 seconds. *11 is needed for the modifier to work.

---------------

edit 2. If you try to return the call from within the gv app vm section, it dials out using the gv number. No way around that.

What a cluster. Integration is poor to say the least.
    Last edited by GPz1100; 11-23-2019 at 11:27 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Try setting not to ring from midnight to 11:45pm.
    You had them reversed.

The issue is you are trying something they didn't design for.

It was meant so calls to GV would forward to other numbers.

Any other use is not the intended use.

Forward one number to another that then forwards back to the first number. That's what you are doing. No surprise it doesn't always do what you want.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think the issue is more so redpocket (and cricket since similar behavior) doesn't pass the call properly to gv. It forwards it as a regular call rather than a forward due to non answer.

If it was meant for forwarding only, why do they give instructions on how to configure it as the vm provider...

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    GV is being used for only the VM on 2 TW phones that I help with. I haven't gotten any complaints from the users in the last 2-3 years. But there are no special settings being used. Just CCF.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^How long before GV answers if a call is not answered (not declined either)?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    About 20 seconds.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's better than 55 seconds. Who's the carrier?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I think the issue is more so redpocket (and cricket since similar behavior) doesn't pass the call properly to gv. It forwards it as a regular call rather than a forward due to non answer.
    I's been a few years since unused it. That was before moving to android (4+yrs ago), and the only option was to forward to phones.

But I do think I had Hangouts on a tablet for a while and vaguely recall problems, but not how I resolved them.

I don't think GV can tell a forwarded call vs directly dialed. Even if so it would be the carrier (Verizon, AT&T, etc) not the MVNO doing it.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 11-25-2019 at 08:27 AM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    That's better than 55 seconds. Who's the carrier?
    Total Wireless, which uses Vzw. TW voicemail was never specifically disabled, but it was also never set up on either line.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Thinking about this, let me review what I think you typically would need to do to set up a GV voicemail only feature:

You'd need to configure each/any device first as a forwarding phone (newer term: linked device) in GV. Needs to be on the list, but doesn't need to actually be forwarded to (or actively linked), so you can de-select it.

Then you'd need to to tell GV that device was going to be used for voicemail (I only know about this setting from the "Legacy" GV Settings web page; no idea how to access that from the new-style page or the device app if that is even possible). This step also keeps the incoming call attempt to the native cell no. from doing a forwarding loop; quite essential.

And finally on each phone you use whatever the cell carrier's set up is to do conditional call forwarding (CCF) to your GV number.

Have I got that correct?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    @whacker, you got the right idea there, but I think the carrier plays some role in this. Boz indicated he's getting the expected results on vzw. On cricket/redpocket gsma unless the device is selected as a forwarding device (or dnd is enabled), gv vm adds another 25 seconds of delay before answering the call.

I think your third paragraph (tell gv that device is used for vm) doesn't really tell gv anything, rather gv gives you the right code to dial to configure ccf.

The main problem with native carrier vm is if it grabs the call too soon - before gv has a chance to answer. So its best to either disable native vm, or set it to an answer duration of 30 seconds or more.

I don't have any other cell phones here to test with any more, just a bunch of voip lines, which don't have ccf.

@st dog, it's all about cutting corners in the mvno world. Quite possible their service ignores certain signalling that comes through with a call.

I need to give some serious thought to the pros/cons of porting this relative's number over to gv. My main concern is sometimes reception is poor (indoors, basement) and only a voice call may be possible. WIth the newest gv implementation, phantom numbers don't appear to be cached any more, so a data connection is always needed.