Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moto e5 WiFi issue

Feedback Score

Moto e5 WiFi issue

My Moto e5 has developed a problem signing into WiFi. It will not let me sign in but my other phones will.

I noted that it says the frequency is 5ghz and the other phones that do sign in say 2.4ghz.

Since I'm signing in using the same network and password on all devices, I'm stumped as to why this network is showing as 5ghz on the Moto and 2.4ghz on my other phones.

I don't have access to the WiFi router here, It's a guest log in.

I think the error is in the phone. It did this maybe a month ago for a day and then started signing in again the next day. I don't use it very often but tried again today and no go NASA.

Any idea what it could be or if there's a solution except using it as a paperweight?

Sent from my LGL64VL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Do your other phones even have 5GHz? I have no experience with 5GHz, as my home router does not have it and have not seen it on public networks so far.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    My home WiFi router has dual bands, 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I also have a WiFi extender, so there are a total of 4 WiFi sources. My Simple Mobile Moto E5 sees all of them and I can select any of them.

Name:  Moto-E5-WiFi-sources.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  18.9 KB

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I noted that it says the frequency is 5ghz and the other phones that do sign in say 2.4ghz.

Since I'm signing in using the same network and password on all devices, I'm stumped as to why this network is showing as 5ghz on the Moto and 2.4ghz on my other phones.

I don't have access to the WiFi router here, It's a guest log in.

I think the error is in the phone. It did this maybe a month ago for a day and then started signing in again the next day. I don't use it very often but tried again today and no go NASA.

Any idea what it could be or if there's a solution except using it as a paperweight?
    It could be that the router has dual bands and its 5GHz worked in the past but not now. Get your phone to rescan for nearby WiFi sources and maybe it'll see the 2.4GH source.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    It could be that the router has dual bands and its 5GHz worked in the past but not now. Get your phone to rescan for nearby WiFi sources and maybe it'll see the 2.4GH source.
    The router must have 5ghz because one of the networks shows it. But the other phones I use most (LG Fiesta, Fiesta 2, Stylo 3, Alcatel Zip, Samsung Luna Pro) have had no issues with picking up the 5ghz network. I had no idea it was in the house until the Moto refused to connect.

I tried to find any way of blocking it from trying to connect to the 5ghz in favor of 2.4ghz. I could find nothing to allow that. The guest network I use shows as 2.4ghz on my other phones. The Moto, like my other phones, is set to automatically search for any available nets and couldn't find an alternate 2.4ghz guest net.

The other nets my phone shows are for in-house or private use only.

I'm hoping that since it did start logging onto the net again after an episode of not signing in about a month ago, that if I leave it off for awhile it'll sign in again if temporarily.

I don't trust it now for any useful work even if it will temporarily sign in. I use Google Drive/Docs and wouldn't want to risk losing a file if the WiFi shut down while creating a document.

It's such a nice phone I hate to lose the connectivity.

If I do get WiFi on it again even briefly I'll try to load some useful Google Play apps on it that don't need WiFi so I can use it for something besides a paperweight.

Feedback Score
    If I put the Moto in a specific spot it switches to 2.4ghz but still will not log in.

Settings keeps crashing on the phone while trying to get WiFi to connect.

I may try a factory reset. I've already reset WiFi several times without results.

I think it's the phone malfunctioning.

It was a Simple Mobile, never activated.

Sent from my A576BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Weird. Like hp, never had problems with the E5 on 5GHz SSIDs, both at home and public access.

Maybe find another location and see if 5GHz works.

Walmart separates SSIDs so you can select. Worth trying. So is clearing cashes or even factory reset.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    FWIW, my Moto phones have trouble connecting to some Comcast/Xfinity routers. The Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspot always seems to work, but can't login to the addresses that require a password.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by Digital Rules; 11-24-2019 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Hu

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I`ve never had a problem with my SM Moto E5 on Tracfone connecting to my home AT&T router. I`ve never tried to connect elsewhere, because it is always a short duration, so I just use the safer Data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I tried to find any way of blocking it from trying to connect to the 5ghz in favor of 2.4ghz. I could find nothing to allow that. The guest network I use shows as 2.4ghz on my other phones. The Moto, like my other phones, is set to automatically search for any available nets and couldn't find an alternate 2.4ghz guest net.
    Where are you able to see the network frequency? My Motos show just the list of available networks with a strength indicator. No settings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Where are you able to see the network frequency? My Motos show just the list of available networks with a strength indicator. No settings.
    I was wondering the same thing.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    If the OP's phone can connect to a WiFi source, the Network Signal Info app will show the frequency. Screenshots below are of my phone connecting to my home router 5GHz and 2.4GHz sources. It's interesting that the distance shown in either case is wrong. My phone was about 20' from the modem/router.

Name:  LG-Q6-WiFi-Freq-1.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  41.4 KB

Name:  LG-Q6-WiFi-Freq-2.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  40.1 KB

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Besides using the Network Signal Info app, on my LG Q6, touching the name of the WiFi source that my phone is connected to also shows the frequency.

Name:  LG-Q6-WiFi-Freq-3.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  19.3 KB

Name:  LG-Q6-WiFi-Freq-4.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  18.8 KB

Feedback Score
    I tap the network I'm trying to connect to and it shows the frequency. It only shows the frequency after I've entered the password and am trying to connect. It also shows strength (poor, fair, good, etc) and connection speed. Unfortunately no connect.

I just checked my Fiesta 2 and it shows 2.4ghz not 5 but now it doesn't want to connect either. It sticks at "obtaining IP address...", shows excellent signal strength, 72mbps connection speed.

My old Fiestas still connect, same with my other older phones that show 2.4ghz.

I suspect the system here is being upgraded or has been. Its probably confusing my devices. I think their system is on STI (Sierra Tel Internet). When they change something it causes gremlins.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Besides using the Network Signal Info app, on my LG Q6, touching the name of the WiFi source that my phone is connected to also shows the frequency.

Name:  LG-Q6-WiFi-Freq-3.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  19.3 KB

Name:  LG-Q6-WiFi-Freq-4.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  18.8 KB
    Yes, the screenshots show what I see when I tap the network I'm trying to connect to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast