Thread: Texting apps that sync between devices (Android)

Feedback Score

Texting apps that sync between devices (Android)

Are there any texting apps that sync between devices?? I tend to switch phones a lot so text syncing would be a great feature for me. I'm on At&t Prepaid and currently using Textra. Phones are mostly Huawei and Moto.

Feedback Score
    Never heard of syncing, although I think RCS should fix that. When I have to switch phones, I use this.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    If you use a messenger app like Facebook Messenger or Google Hangouts, it could be used simultaneously on multiple devices.

Would not be using your cell number though.

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    What you're looking for is the main reason I use GV + Hangouts on my cell phones and tablet with data only SIMs, and on my computers using WiFi. I've been using this setup since March, 2017.

GV + Hangouts makes all my call and text message history available from any data connected device.

Not everybody is happy with GV + Hangouts VoIP calls, but it works fine for me.

For my international conversations, I primarily use Facebook Messenger, since most people already have a Facebook account, which allows the same benefits as GV + Hangouts, except for being able to call/text a real phone #.

RCS may eventually mature into a useable solution for what you seek, but I have little knowledge, and no experience with it.

Feedback Score
    if you port your number over to Google Voice, then messages to that number will be available on all devices + web logged in with the gmail account

voice.google.com

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    SMS is a service that, natively, uses the phone number of the user's device. So anything other than a third party app that gets messaging off the cell system and onto something else with a separate portable account name (like the products mentioned - Google Voice and/or Hangouts, or any IM chat app; and this would be over the mobile web) isn't going to allow that. Theoretically you could download or simply move stored messages around between devices, but you're not going to get SMS messages sent to phone number X received on device Y. At least I can't imagine how.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    SMS is a service that, natively, uses the phone number of the user's device. So anything other than a third party app that gets messaging off the cell system and onto something else with a separate portable account name (like the products mentioned - Google Voice and/or Hangouts, or any IM chat app; and this would be over the mobile web) isn't going to allow that. Theoretically you could download or simply move stored messages around between devices, but you're not going to get SMS messages sent to phone number X received on device Y. At least I can't imagine how.
    I don't have to imagine how- I used to live it; Microsoft's Windows Phones did this every day.

Any phones logged into the same Microsoft account had the option to sync messages. I was able to pop my SIM into any phone, and my text messages automatically were up to date.

Just one of the many great things I still miss about the best mobile OS nobody used...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Why couldn't an app like Textra sync text messages like Google Contacts does with Contacts and Google Keep does with notes???? I don't get it cuz it seems like it would be easy.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Why couldn't an app like Textra sync text messages like Google Contacts does with Contacts and Google Keep does with notes???? I don't get it cuz it seems like it would be easy.
    Agreed. My only thought (based on how SMS backup and restore apps work) is that the app that writes to the device SMS database has to be the default SMS app on the device. This means that whatever app handles the syncing would also have to be the default SMS app.

This means an SMS app itself (like Textra) would have to manage it, rather than a separate SMS sync app that works alongside your regular texting app, since a sync app would have to constantly nag you to make it the default to update the device.

Microsoft's Windows Phone OS did it because it was baked into the system's default text app (so permissions weren't a problem). Texts were backed up periodically to the cloud in a hidden encrypted backup file, and synced with any devices on the same account that had the sync feature active.

There's no good reason why Textra (or any other texting app including Google's own messaging app) couldn't backup and sync messages via Google Drive or any other cloud service. Obviously Google is now backing up our texts, since restoring them at device setup is now part of Android. The option to sync them should just be part of Google Messaging just like syncing photos and documents are part of the Photos, Docs, Sheets, etc. apps.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Interesting topic. Tagging for future.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19