Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 5G Launch Impact on Band 71 LTE

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    We'll have to wait and see about speeds. Looking further at the specs on the new sub-6 5G Note, it will utilize LTE for anchor bands just as it does for mmWave. N71 will utilize 2/66 and N5 will utilize 2/66/30 and it looks like the phone can do 2CA (LTE+NR). That said, they will have to run at least B2 or B66 LTE on any site they will be launching NR. So speeds should be able to reach upwards of 100 or more where they have wideband LTE. I'm curious to see what they will deploy on the very rural sites in northern Michigan where they currently have 12/71. Not sure if they have B2 everywhere up there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    We'll have to wait and see about speeds. Looking further at the specs on the new sub-6 5G Note, it will utilize LTE for anchor bands just as it does for mmWave. N71 will utilize 2/66 and N5 will utilize 2/66/30 and it looks like the phone can do 2CA (LTE+NR). That said, they will have to run at least B2 or B66 LTE on any site they will be launching NR. So speeds should be able to reach upwards of 100 or more where they have wideband LTE. I'm curious to see what they will deploy on the very rural sites in northern Michigan where they currently have 12/71. Not sure if they have B2 everywhere up there.
    I would just wait for the Galaxy/Note 11 those with have modems that can handle low/mid/high/mmwave 5G bands

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Can't they do intra-carrier on 71? Prob why they have only a 5+5 lte running. Waiting to fire up 10 or 15 mhz alongside in NSA-NR.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Can't they do intra-carrier on 71? Prob why they have only a 5+5 lte running. Waiting to fire up 10 or 15 mhz alongside in NSA-NR.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

It doesn't appear to support LTE 71 + NR 71. Seems like they are cramming in this device at the last minute imo so definitely worth waiting for next year's devices like Jack said. This is one of the charts for NR:

Name:  Screenshot_20191201-100219_Write on PDF.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20191201-100230_Write on PDF.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  44.4 KB

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    What will we see in a few days? Will it be drastically different with a switch turned on or just basically like it is now until more network is built next year?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'd rather keep all of B71 for LTE. I'm not optimistic this is anything more than a 5G marketing stunt. TMo still has a lot of work to do on B71 in my area. And not just B71, to be frank, but it's the best band to plug the holes.

Name:  B71-South-OC.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  95.3 KB

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_73 View Post
    I'd rather keep all of B71 for LTE. I'm not optimistic this is anything more than a 5G marketing stunt. TMo still has a lot of work to do on B71 in my area. And not just B71, to be frank, but it's the best band to plug the holes.

Name:  B71-South-OC.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  95.3 KB
    In general... 5G with ~10MHz of spectrum is more for marketing/bragging rights than it is for anything else.
    Until 5G NR71 is paired with spectrum from Sprint ... (mostly dense urban areas) it will just be 'slightly faster' LTE.
    Hitting +200Mbps on B66 (20x20) and B2 (10x10) doesn't give me much reason for going to 5G right now.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    In general... 5G with ~10MHz of spectrum is more for marketing/bragging rights than it is for anything else.
    Until 5G NR71 is paired with spectrum from Sprint ... (mostly dense urban areas) it will just be 'slightly faster' LTE.
    Hitting +200Mbps on B66 (20x20) and B2 (10x10) doesn't give me much reason for going to 5G right now.
    Meanwhile those with 4G only phones that could use that 10X10 of band 71 are going to suffer for the sake of a very very tiny percentage of the public. T-Mobile getting band 71 was making me finally considering to switch until I heard all this nonsense. The thing there are some areas here that literally only have band 71 and only 15X15at that. So if 10X10 is for 5G explain how T-Mobile is going to convince people in those areas to switch when they literally only have 5X5 MHz of spectrum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    What will we see in a few days? Will it be drastically different with a switch turned on or just basically like it is now until more network is built next year?
    Ina few days inevitably speedtests will be posted and then people will post speeds test for at&t and Verizon over 4G in these same areas that show faster speeds and John Legere will look like a moron.

Feedback Score
    It doesn't appear to support LTE 71 + NR 71. Seems like they are cramming in this device at the last minute imo so definitely worth waiting for next year's devices like Jack said. This is one of the charts for NR:

Name:  Screenshot_20191201-100219_Write on PDF.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20191201-100230_Write on PDF.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  44.4 KB
    I've look all over the internet and I can seem to find any documentation of a 5G band for band 13. Even band 14 has n14 and band71 is certainly newer than band 13 and has n71.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G_NR_frequency_bands

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Even if the lofty goal of enabling the 5G network in a few days does happen, there is only a very tiny percentage of customers who will have 5G phones. How will the overwhelming majority of customers even notice the difference if they are still using 3G or 4G devices? Sounds like smoke and mirrors and not much substance.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Meanwhile those with 4G only phones that could use that 10X10 of band 71 are going to suffer for the sake of a very very tiny percentage of the public. T-Mobile getting band 71 was making me finally considering to switch until I heard all this nonsense. The thing there are some areas here that literally only have band 71 and only 15X15at that. So if 10X10 is for 5G explain how T-Mobile is going to convince people in those areas to switch when they literally only have 5X5 MHz of spectrum.
    I don't really see T-Mobile pushing the fact that they have a 'lot' of 600MHz spectrum... just the fact that it travels further than 700/PCS/AWS. In my area, they have AWS, PCS, 700 and 600. Pushing n71 10x10 would add to the existing +200Mbps that I currently receive by probably ~70Mbps. I can assume this, as I have hit ~35Mbps on B12 5x5LTE. IF all your area has is ~10MHz of PCS or AWS and B71... then your area is either very rural.. or saturated.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Even if the lofty goal of enabling the 5G network in a few days does happen, there is only a very tiny percentage of customers who will have 5G phones. How will the overwhelming majority of customers even notice the difference if they are still using 3G or 4G devices? Sounds like smoke and mirrors and not much substance.
    I agree. As I've mentioned... this is primarily a sell of 'me first', even though it doesn't really mean much. From a 'user' perspective, it would be much better if they pushed B71 with all of their spectrum, and refarmed as needed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Yes they will notice because spectrum that could be used for 4G will be allocated for 5G and not getting used much anywhere

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I don't really see T-Mobile pushing the fact that they have a 'lot' of 600MHz spectrum... just the fact that it travels further than 700/PCS/AWS. In my area, they have AWS, PCS, 700 and 600. Pushing n71 10x10 would add to the existing +200Mbps that I currently receive by probably ~70Mbps. I can assume this, as I have hit ~35Mbps on B12 5x5LTE. IF all your area has is ~10MHz of PCS or AWS and B71... then your area is either very rural.. or saturated.
    10X10 if n71 would leave a measly 5X5 of 71 in my area to go along with the measly 5X5 of band 12. And since you can't aggregate 12 n71 it means speeds will be crap. And the areas the ONLY have band 71 I'm not sure what the point is trying to sell those people service

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast