Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 5G Launch Impact on Band 71 LTE

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile has launched 5G and here is the 5G Map https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/5g-coverage-map

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile bashes Verizon and AT&T as it lights up 5G. https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...-nationwide-5g

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    T-Mobile has launched 5G and here is the 5G Map https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/5g-coverage-map
    Similar to T-Mobile's traditional LTE coverage map... this one is also over exaggerated.
    B71 doesn't reach my neighborhood, yet it is covered as 5G... many others are similar.
    What I find really ironic... T-Mobile's 'local' engineering team is based out of Simi Valley, CA ... which has no 5G coverage. Similar note - many LARGE cities such as San Francisco, Buffalo/Niagara and Detroit do not have 5G, yet the boonies like Rudyard, MI does.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Similar to T-Mobile's traditional LTE coverage map... this one is also over exaggerated.
    B71 doesn't reach my neighborhood, yet it is covered as 5G... many others are similar.
    What I find really ironic... T-Mobile's 'local' engineering team is based out of Simi Valley, CA ... which has no 5G coverage. Similar note - many LARGE cities such as San Francisco, Buffalo/Niagara and Detroit do not have 5G, yet the boonies like Rudyard, MI does.
    I am sure it is some what exaggerated. However it has just been turned on and I doubt you have a 5G phone to test it. I have Band 71 towers about 2 miles from my home but I have only seen it connect one time with my S9 at home. I got very good band 2, 66 & 12 at my house. Don’t have a 5G phone but that One Plus One 5G that shipping on Dec 6th for $37.xx a month has me wanting to go to T-Mobile next week to look at it. But my service is so good it would be nice to wait for a price drop in 5 G phones.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Official explanation

“Map approximates anticipated 4G LTE (including 600MHz) and 5G (600MHz only) coverage outdoors based on a variety of factors, which may include limited or no coverage areas, and does not guarantee service availability.”

Sent from my iPhone 11

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    I don't know how all off that 5G could be in northern Michigan. NSA n71 requires an anchor band of 2 or 66. Many of the sites up there are B12/B71 LTE only.

Edit: Unless they are utilizing 4G and 5G radios simultaneously which would allow n71 to operate as data only and LTE for HD Voice. I am looking forward to seeing the Service Mode pics!

EDIT #2. Yup, any sites with NR must have 2 /66. I looked closer at the map here and all of the new 5G is on sites with AWS/PCS. Exciting none the less.
    Last edited by 10mm; 12-02-2019 at 11:48 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So I see that T-Mobile flipped the switch on 5G today. When you follow the link to the 5G coverage it shows a lot of 5G coverage where I live. It is my understanding that 5G is working on band 71 only. If I have a phone that has band 71 but not 5G, will I now get better coverage in those areas? I find it hard to believe that there is 5G in my area but some parts of where I live lack LTE coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Yes they will notice because spectrum that could be used for 4G will be allocated for 5G and not getting used much anywhere
    Maybe you think T-mobile has a few million customers with 5G handsets. If that was true, your argument might hold water. The reality that I pointed out is that not enough subscribers have those phones yet and as of now it won't lesson the load of the 4G networks by any significant amount anytime soon. The 4G networks aren't being turned off and will work along with the 5G systems in the foreseeable future.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Funny how the Tmobile Note 10 5G does not support tmobiles mmwave. Nothing on the one plus though, though would not surprise if this is the same case. Nothing but a marketing stunt.

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile bashes Verizon and AT&T as it lights up 5G. https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...-nationwide-5g
    T-Mobile bashes Verizon and AT&T as it lights up "5G". fixed it for you.

Also

A) T-Mobile's current 5G offerings are using mmwave
    B) at&t is about to launch low band 5G also.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Maybe you think T-mobile has a few million customers with 5G handsets. If that was true, your argument might hold water. The reality that I pointed out is that not enough subscribers have those phones yet and as of now it won't lesson the load of the 4G networks by any significant amount anytime soon. The 4G networks aren't being turned off and will work along with the 5G systems in the foreseeable future.
    My argument does hold water because neither of these new phones use DSS so the only way T-Mobile can provide 5G to these devices is if they use some of their band 71 strictly for 5G which means it can't be used on 4G. Which means precious spectrum that tens of millions COULD be use will sit fallow in most of the country.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    I don't know how all off that 5G could be in northern Michigan. NSA n71 requires an anchor band of 2 or 66. Many of the sites up there are B12/B71 LTE only.

Edit: Unless they are utilizing 4G and 5G radios simultaneously which would allow n71 to operate as data only and LTE for HD Voice. I am looking forward to seeing the Service Mode pics!

EDIT #2. Yup, any sites with NR must have 2 /66. I looked closer at the map here and all of the new 5G is on sites with AWS/PCS. Exciting none the less.
    Much of the UP is 'dark' as it is B12/B71 only.

Feedback Score
    Much of the UP is 'dark' as it is B12/B71 only.
    What does "dark" mean do they offer service or not?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    T-Mobile bashes Verizon and AT&T as it lights up "5G". fixed it for you.

Also

A) T-Mobile's current 5G offerings are using mmwave
    B) at&t is about to launch low band 5G also.
    I can’t wait for AT&T to refarm some of their low band with AT&T already poor service in South Florida. If that Sprint merger deal goes through there will be more than enough new band 41 for T-Mobile to out pace AT&T and Verizon in 5G. Also love that “Verizon forces customers to pay $10 more per month for 5G or use a more expensive plan. AT&T just forces customers into their most expensive plans.”. Granted not having a lot of customers with 5G capable phones knocks a little of the excitement off of T-Mobile having the First Nation wide 5G network. However it is a chicken or the egg thing since few people will buy a 5G phone if they don’t have 5G service that works inside a building.

Feedback Score
    I can’t wait for AT&T to refarm some of their low band with AT&T already poor service in South Florida.
    Which part? Basically the east cost from Miami to Jax at&t has BOTH 850 blocks They could keep one for 4G and use the other for 5G

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast