Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 5G Launch Impact on Band 71 LTE

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Which part? Basically the east cost from Miami to Jax at&t has BOTH 850 blocks They could keep one for 4G and use the other for 5G
    Don’t care just want to see more customers leaving AT&T and Verizon for the 5G Nationwide T-Mobile Network. T-Mobile is adding Greenfield 5G spectrum that goes much faster without impacting customers. AT&T is very spotty in South Florida already without reframing spectrum. Verizon has the most customers and about the same amount of spectrum as T-Mobile so I would expect Verizon attempts to refarm their low band spectrum to be very disruptive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Don’t care just want to see more customers leaving AT&T and Verizon for the 5G Nationwide T-Mobile Network. T-Mobile is adding Greenfield 5G spectrum that goes much faster without impacting customers. AT&T is very spotty in South Florida already without reframing spectrum. Verizon has the most customers and about the same amount of spectrum as T-Mobile so I would expect Verizon attempts to refarm their low band spectrum to be very disruptive.
    No one is leaving to get on 5G. There is only 2 phones that support this lowband 5G. One is some China phone the other is Samsung that is $1300 and neither supports mmwave. And the improvement is marginal at best. In many areas Verizon and /or at&t 4G will still be faster.

Once again I'm not sure how at&t can be spotty when they have all that 850 on the east cost. Not to mention all their 700 MHz

As far as zthey're already stated months ag they will be using DSS to enable 5G on lowband and midband stating later in 2020. They aren't going to have to refarm anything.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-of-NC View Post
    Official explanation
    “Map approximates anticipated 4G LTE (including 600MHz) and 5G (600MHz only) coverage outdoors based on a variety of factors, which may include limited or no coverage areas, and does not guarantee service availability.”

Sent from my iPhone 11
    In general, if I follow the logic of using an LTE 'base band' for service... then my range will be ~1/10 of what is shown, 'unless' I force LTE to B71. This is because there are ~30 LTE sites in my area, and 4 of them are B71
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    In general, if I follow the logic of using an LTE 'base band' for service... then my range will be ~1/10 of what is shown, 'unless' I force LTE to B71. This is because there are ~30 LTE sites in my area, and 4 of them are B71
    and by forcing band 71 you're just going to help cause it to get congested even faster if enough people to it. And it won't take many.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No one is leaving to get on 5G. There is only 2 phones that support this lowband 5G. One is some China phone the other is Samsung that is $1300 and neither supports mmwave. And the improvement is marginal at best. In many areas Verizon and /or at&t 4G will still be faster.

Once again I'm not sure how at&t can be spotty when they have all that 850 on the east cost. Not to mention all their 700 MHz

As far as zthey're already stated months ag they will be using DSS to enable 5G on lowband and midband stating later in 2020. They aren't going to have to refarm anything.
    Really do you speak for everyone? Stop pretending there won’t be a few more 5G phones available in the next 3 to six months... Have you ever heard of GSMA Mobile World Congress (MWC) Barcelona Feb 24 – 27, 2020? Are you claiming they won’t announce new 5G cell phones at that show?

AT&T and Verizon have been bleeding customers to T-Mobile every quarter for over two years. Now when Samsung, LG, Motorola and Apple come out with 5G phones that work on all bands then AT&T and Verizon will hemorrhage customers to the New T-Mobile with Sprint’s extra spectrum. The phones don’t cost $1300 they cost like $37 to $42 a month as they say on Wireless Week.

Really if the 5G NR isn’t a big marketing and customer draw then why did AT&T waste all that money with their Fake 5G by calling it 5GE? Really if 5G isn’t going to attract or lose customers then why are AT&T and Verizon even wasting their time and money building out 5G at 300 feet per transmitter and stick with 4G LTE as T-Mobile builds out a nation wide robust 5G NR Network?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Don’t care just want to see more customers leaving AT&T and Verizon for the 5G Nationwide T-Mobile Network. T-Mobile is adding Greenfield 5G spectrum that goes much faster without impacting customers.
    Cutting band 71 down to 5mhz for LTE and dedicating the rest for 5G when there are no 5G phones on the network most definitely hurts customers.

Band 71 has been hyped to death as the saving grace for coverage woes, now it has been castrated, and is nearly useless thanks to congestion. 5G will do nothing for all the phones currently on the network.

Sent from my iPhone 11

Feedback Score
    Really do you speak for everyone?
    Do you? it seems people are not allowed to have an opinion unless it agrees with yours. This is a FORUM, please look up the definition of that word.

Stop pretending there won’t be a few more 5G phones available in the next 3 to six months...
    Ok so launch in 3-6 months. You know damn well there are going to be people wasting money on a phone that will be obsolete in a few months. T-Mobile could launch when the S11/Note 11 series arrives that uses the new X55 modem that can use ALL bands and thus not screw loyal customers out of $1300

Have you ever heard of GSMA Mobile World Congress (MWC) Barcelona Feb 24 – 27, 2020? Are you claiming they won’t announce new 5G cell phones at that show?
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 104
Size:  799.6 KB

AT&T and Verizon have been bleeding customers to T-Mobile every quarter for over two years. Now when Samsung, LG, Motorola and Apple come out with 5G phones that work on all bands then AT&T and Verizon will hemorrhage customers to the New T-Mobile with Sprint’s extra spectrum. The phones don’t cost $1300 they cost like $37 to $42 a month as they say on Wireless Week.
    What does that have to do with anything? Also at&t and Verizon will also be getting those same phones.

Really if the 5G NR isn’t a big marketing and customer draw then why did AT&T waste all that money with their Fake 5G by calling it 5GE? Really if 5G isn’t going to attract or lose customers then why are AT&T and Verizon even wasting their time and money building out 5G at 300 feet per transmitter and stick with 4G LTE as T-Mobile builds out a nation wide robust 5G NR Network?
    The point is this time last year Johnny Boy was blasting at&t and Version for half-baked "5G" efforts just so each one could say they were first at something and now T-Mobile is doing the same thing. Legere is hypocrite

Also let me clear I'm not anti-T-Mobile. Hell, I'm pro-merger. I want new T-Mobile to be very successful so Verizon and at&t will have to make REAL changes not just modest ones. But I will call out BS when I see it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    and by forcing band 71 you're just going to help cause it to get congested even faster if enough people to it. And it won't take many.
    Typically doesn't do much in my area. B12/B71 is hardly used, even with carrier aggregation.
    Phones (at least my LG G7) camps on B4 or B2 and typically aggregates with B2 or B4. When I do force B12 or B71, I find that I can typically hit ~30Mbps on 5MHz. Not many devices have this ability. Fewer know about it or how to use it.
    I found it interesting during B71 early deployment in Woodland Hills that I could hit ~10Mbps on B71 with ~-110dBm from about 5 miles away vs. a local congested site of -100dBm on B2 (10x10) + B4 (20x20) hitting about 1.5Mbps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-of-NC View Post
    Cutting band 71 down to 5mhz for LTE and dedicating the rest for 5G when there are no 5G phones on the network most definitely hurts customers.

Band 71 has been hyped to death as the saving grace for coverage woes, now it has been castrated, and is nearly useless thanks to congestion. 5G will do nothing for all the phones currently on the network.

Sent from my iPhone 11
    EXACTLY. Ask anyone that has to rely on band 12. And you can't CA band 12 and 71 either. I'll keep saying if you're all in on lowband 5G why only buy 15X15 MHz in my area and leave another 15X15 MHz on the table that no one else bid on and you could have had for the minimum? they could have had 30X30. Then if they wanted to have 20X20 on 4G and 10X10 on 5G fine. Then you can adjust it as time goes on as more 5G phone were bought. But with only 15X15. No way. This castrating, as you put it, of the lowband 4G network pretty much kills any incentive for me to switch to t-mobile anytime soon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Typically doesn't do much in my area. B12/B71 is hardly used, even with carrier aggregation.
    Phones (at least my LG G7) camps on B4 or B2 and typically aggregates with B2 or B4. When I do force B12 or B71, I find that I can typically hit ~30Mbps on 5MHz. Not many devices have this ability. Fewer know about it or how to use it.
    I found it interesting during B71 early deployment in Woodland Hills that I could hit ~10Mbps on B71 with ~-110dBm from about 5 miles away vs. a local congested site of -100dBm on B2 (10x10) + B4 (20x20) hitting about 1.5Mbps.
    The LG G7 has 5x CA. So it can do more than just bands 2 and 4 in CA. And phones with the SD 855 have 7X CA.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In my area (most of the US is similar) TMobile is B2, B4, B12 and B71. Some areas have B66 / AWS3.
    This was today on B12 5x5 only. Name:  1575344580355.jpeg
Views: 91
Size:  24.0 KB

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    15X15 MHz LTE > 5 MHZ LTE and 10 MHZ 5G. Utterly disappoint in T-Mobile. 15X15 worth considering switching. 5X5 not worth it. can't compete.
    Yet you keep forgetting that T-Mobile also has mmWave for 5G. If the Sprint deal is approved then they will add a lot of band 41 when needed. Face it T-Mobile 5G has more coverage and the ability to not make people walk outside their home than both AT&T and Verizon combined. No ones 5G over mmWave is useful unless they are outside with a clear view of the transmitter plus be within 300 feet of that 5G transmitter. Then there is mmWave issues with rain, snow and obstruction like trees.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Look at the 5G coverage map. Almost all of the U.P. is 4G LTE ONLY and is B12/B71. There are a few locations that have PCS/AWS as 5X5MHz in the UP along i75 and a couple other locations. The darker color is non 5G
    What does "dark" mean do they offer service or not?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Will anyone here try to claim that AT&T or Verizon or both of those two combined have more 5G network service available to more customers than T-Mobile? If Sprint gets the ok for a merger then maybe AT&T and Verizon can pay T-Mobile for 5G coverage for a few years.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Personally.. I could really care less about 5G. I prefer keeping decent service at a good cost.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast