Thread: AT&T prepaid activation nightmare $300 plan

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T prepaid activation nightmare $300 plan

Heads up. AT&T prepaid activation is not at all smooth like Verizon prepaid or mint mobile. You will have to give porting info at the time of ordering. They will apparently pre-port before shipping and claim the moment you insert SIM card you are all set.

Nope nope nope! I entered SIM card — nothing happened. Tried online portal and it kept on saying oops something went wrong for almost a day

Called prepaid service and bounced around 4 times and couldn’t connect to human. Went to store they said online order is online. They cannot do anything with this new $300 plan call online customer service.

I tried online order customer service. They transferred me again to prepaid. Got bounced around and almost activated a new number. Finally called back online order customer service asking for a refund, some lady took a pity on me and successfully activated my number.

AT&T if you are reading this. Why are you working so hard to push away new customers?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

In all fairness once activated data speed is pretty good

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dollar500 View Post
    Heads up. AT&T prepaid activation is not at all smooth like Verizon prepaid or mint mobile. You will have to give porting info at the time of ordering. They will apparently pre-port before shipping and claim the moment you insert SIM card you are all set.

Nope nope nope! I entered SIM card — nothing happened. Tried online portal and it kept on saying oops something went wrong for almost a day

Called prepaid service and bounced around 4 times and couldn’t connect to human. Went to store they said online order is online. They cannot do anything with this new $300 plan call online customer service.

I tried online order customer service. They transferred me again to prepaid. Got bounced around and almost activated a new number. Finally called back online order customer service asking for a refund, some lady took a pity on me and successfully activated my number.

AT&T if you are reading this. Why are you working so hard to push away new customers?

My advice for all initial activations and ports is do it in a corporate store... I have advised several people to do that, not once has their been a hiccup and is 30 minutes in and out the door almost every time.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    - If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people in the world?

Current Personal Phone: Google Pixel 3a XL (AT&T PrePaid)

Other phones "in the family": Nokia 6.1 (AT&T), Huawei P20

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    I went through the same hell a few years ago. I see they have not changed it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    My advice for all initial activations and ports is do it in a corporate store... I have advised several people to do that, not once has their been a hiccup and is 30 minutes in and out the door almost every time.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Yeah but this $300 plan is online only so stores basically raise their hands!

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I moved my son's phone and my phone to AT&T Prepaid, last year and this year. Both times, there were complications with the first SIM that required a second SIM and an hour on the phone with a rep. After the first experience, I learned my lesson and had 2 SIMS on hand. I definitely recommend having at least 1 spare SIM, because their support often can't fix issues without changing SIMs.

Once you get there, it's a solid service and a great value.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    A couple years ago I had nightmare experiences with Postpaid CS. They could NOT fix the provisioning of my iPad ($20 add-on that was supposed to have the same speeds/data features as the phone on the plan). Kept on dropping to the slower (3MB?) speeds. I was only staying on postpaid at this time for this support. Hours on the phone on more than one occasion (such as when the month renewed, and it broke again), I switched to prepaid.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    A couple years ago I had nightmare experiences with Postpaid CS. They could NOT fix the provisioning of my iPad ($20 add-on that was supposed to have the same speeds/data features as the phone on the plan). Kept on dropping to the slower (3MB?) speeds. I was only staying on postpaid at this time for this support. Hours on the phone on more than one occasion (such as when the month renewed, and it broke again), I switched to prepaid.
    I hesitated the switch to ATT simply because I didn’t want to go through the porting hell of years past. But I just switched 5 lines to ATT prepaid and had to do a multi-port for each line as I was porting from Cricket to get the bonus data deal

To my surprise it went incredibly smooth - I called the ATT port activation center each time and they were awesome. Much better than experiences 3-4 years ago.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    My main line is currently T-Mobile so I can get my cellular Apple Watch on it. They are working better than I feared based on experience several years ago. If I decide to go on price again at some point, it will depend on offers from either ATT Prepaid or Verizon Prepaid. I have phones that support both (though not the latest B14 on ATT). I have a backup $5/month plan for emergency use when on the road.