Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AT&T prepaid activation nightmare $300 plan

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    If they didn’t port your old number you should still have it available on your previous carrier’s SIM.

And call the porting department back during the week on a business day. They can absolutely port a number in after a SIM is activated. Unless something has changed in the last few months, because I’ve done it many times with AT&T prepaid.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    I keep hearing this, but I've ported in numbers a few times, and helped friends do it as well, but every time they had a SIM that had already been activated we were told they needed a new SIM.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    - If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people in the world?

Current Personal Phone: Google Pixel 3a XL (AT&T PrePaid)

Other phones "in the family": Nokia 6.1 (AT&T), Huawei P20

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    I keep hearing this, but I've ported in numbers a few times, and helped friends do it as well, but every time they had a SIM that had already been activated we were told they needed a new SIM.
    I can confirm that over the summer it was true (went T-Mobile prepaid->AT&T Prepaid). If you're moving from many services that run on AT&T's network (AT&T postpaid, Cricket, H2O possibly, etc.), they create a new account entirely, port the number to a new SIM, pick the same plan/move the balance, and then cancel the old account. It's a bit messy, but this is why a lot of people lost the Walmart promo when trying to move from an existing AT&T service (the reps don't see the promos attached to the plans, so they only saw an 8GB plan and recreating it on a new account obviously broke that). It's an old, broken system, and it seems that AT&T has no interest in investing in replacing it anytime soon.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan31 View Post
    How does prepaid att compare with their postpaid service? Coverage/roaming? I imagine prepaid has a lower priority than postpaid but is it more than say their iPad unlimited plans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have no issues with the network in my area. I have better signal than Verizon prepaid. I don’t go to sport events etc so don’t know much about data throttling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dollar500 View Post
    I have no issues with the network in my area. I have better signal than Verizon prepaid. I don’t go to sport events etc so don’t know much about data throttling
    Ok I was curious. They’re doing the prepaid unlimited plus for 55 w/autopay, I might try it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Can someone please tell me the phone number of the porting department

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Apple Watch 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T prepaid activation nightmare $300 plan

Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    Can someone please tell me the phone number of the porting department

888-898-7685

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen89 View Post
    888-898-7685
    Thanks so much. Shall I call after I activate the att sim and get assigned a random number...or should I call before I do online activation?

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    Thanks so much. Shall I call after I activate the att sim and get assigned a random number...or should I call before I do online activation?

Call before... AT&T can be "troublesome" changing a number once it's activated on a SIM, every time I've done it I've had to get a new SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    Call before... AT&T can be "troublesome" changing a number once it's activated on a SIM, every time I've done it I've had to get a new SIM.

thanks will do.. the port department or the regular prepaid customer service?

i wonder why att has such a hard time with this process... their own cricket does it so seamlessly .. you order online with the port , sim comes in the mail and and you pop it in and boom done

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Apple Watch 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I ported my Verizon number in yesterday. I set the plan up first with a temporary number that was given, made a payment on the plan selected. Then called the porting department. The whole process took about an hour, but AT&T prepaid customer service and the porting department did an awesome job of setting everything up. The port Dept even stayed on the line with me to make sure both talk and texting were working before they hung up.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info on this thread, I’m debating this plan.

Feedback Score
    It seems nothing has improved with this issue.... tried to take advantage of this $300 prepaid deal on ATT prepaid... and was porting from Cricket to ATT Prepaid (both 100 % owned by ATT)..... They shipped the new SIM within a couple of days but then when I tried to put the new SIM in to activate nothing happened.... spent a couple of hours trying to reach a human... ANY HUMAN.... it was impossible...You get stuck in an endless loop... and the screens online said they were having "issues" for two whole days. Eventually went to the local ATT store... they were very gracious and helpful..... BUT after about an hour of them working both online and on the phone they finally got to someone within ATT that said "Yes that's a know issue trying to port from Cricket to ATT prepaid"... and told the local store to encourage the customer to abandon the attempt to port over thier number.... so if you are considering trying to port over from Cricket to ATT prepaid to take advantage of this promotion DON'T DO IT unless you want to feel the maximum pain in the process and may eventually have to give up...

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Gonna be honest here... I switched from AT&T to Cricket, painless... Cricket back to AT&T in a corporate store, 15 minutes... AT&T to H2O (also an AT&T MVNO) easily... H2O back to AT&T in a corporate store, again 15 minutes... AT&T to T-Mobile in a corporate store, 10 minutes (they were slow that day)... T-Mobile back to AT&T in a corporate store, 15 minutes. And that's 2 lines of service...

Morale, stay with AT&T... And if switching back, do it in a corporate store.

Feedback Score
    AT&T has promised to help customers during the pandemic. In my opinion, that promise should include allowing existing customers to switch to the $300/year plan. The new-customers-only restriction is outrageous!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    If one has a second line in the $65 or $75 plan, this $300 plan a bad deal:
    With multi-line discount and autopay, the $50/mo plan that also offers 8GB goes down to $30/mo and you still get the discount on the higher plan and can cancel at anytime at no cost.
    With the $300 plan, yes, you pay $25/mo (save $5), but it doesn't qualify for multi-line discount so you lose that on the higher plan ($10 or more, so bye-bye savings) and you commit to pay for a year of service in advance, with no possibility of refund should you need to cancel service early.

For a stand alone line and if you are completely sure you'll use it most or the full year, it's ok.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast