Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Talk text plan around $5/month

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    189
    Feedback Score
    0

    Talk text plan around $5/month

    Is there any talk and text plan (gsm) for under or around $5/month? I need about 3-500 min, 10-20 text and little to no data. I am aware of RP 500/500/500. Anything cheaper. Thanks!

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,785
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by stupidngenius View Post
    Is there any talk and text plan (gsm) for under or around $5/month? I need about 3-500 min, 10-20 text and little to no data. I am aware of RP 500/500/500. Anything cheaper. Thanks!
    For $8.25/30 days, paid $99/360 days, the RP 500/500/500 plan is hard to beat for the usage you're describing. There's a chance that it will go on sale or that there will be an eBay coupon within the next few weeks. https://www.ebay.com/itm/133051277200

    The only thing close would be the https://www.speedtalkmobile.com/plans $5/30 days $0.02/$0.02/$0.02 plan, but to get the usage you describe, it would cost between $6/mo and $7/mo, I'd guess.

    At that point, you might as well go with the above RP plan, especially if it goes on sale soon.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    189
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks! Most likely, I will go with RP plan. Freeup free 250min or talk is close but 30 days renewal is a pain though.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,167
    Feedback Score
    0
    If your minutes are mostly incoming then Truphone might be good for you. It's $0.09 a minute outgoing but incoming is free.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    189
    Feedback Score
    0
    I did think about that. I have a dual SIM phone (well buying it) and a data only sim (mobley). My primary number is GV. I believe I can't forward gv calls to truphone. Also, if I don't make any outgoing calls, I would be abusing their system too much.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,785
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Another option might be to use the RP 100/100/500 plan, which is on sale right now for $4.42/mo, paid $53/360 days, and use GV+Hangouts (or the GV app) for the remainder of the needed minutes, which 500MB would easily cover. https://www.speedtalkmobile.com/plans

    GV+Hangouts (or the GV app) can be used over either WiFi or mobile data, so if you have WiFi, minutes could be pretty much unlimited.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,785
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by stupidngenius View Post
    I did think about that. I have a dual SIM phone (well buying it) and a data only sim (mobley). My primary number is GV. I believe I can't forward gv calls to truphone. Also, if I don't make any outgoing calls, I would be abusing their system too much.
    I didn't see this post before my last post above, so my last post might not be too relevant.

    Out of curiosity, what dual SIM phone are you buying?

    You're fortunate to have that Mobley data only account!

    I briefly used my Truphone SIM with GV forwarding as described above, but that was more than a few years ago. It did work, but I understand your point.

    You CAN use more than one GV # within either Hangouts or the GV app, if you're comfortable with data only for both phone #s.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    189
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I didn't see this post before my last post above, so my last post might not be too relevant.

    Out of curiosity, what dual SIM phone are you buying?

    You're fortunate to have that Mobley data only account!

    I briefly used my Truphone SIM with GV forwarding as described above, but that was more than a few years ago. It did work, but I understand your point.

    You CAN use more than one GV # within either Hangouts or the GV app, if you're comfortable with data only for both phone #s.
    OnePlus 7pro currently for sale at 549 with possibly another 13% discount (5% student+5%paypal chase+3%tcb). It's on slickdeals.

    GV app is largely good, but it feels like quality is not up there yet.

    For this reason, I needed a dual SIM phone with two slots and OnePlus 7pro seems to be the best one out there.

    I am leaning towards Freeup free plan as someone commented that plan auto renewed.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,167
    Feedback Score
    0
    You can forward Google Voice calls to tru phone. the only drawback is that voicemails will be left on your tru phone number rather than your Google Voice account.

    If you will be doing a dual SIM setup, I think you should consider free up. I don't think they make you sign in once a month to renew anymore.

    I currently have a dual-sim unihertz atom. I have free up in one slot for voice, and a FreedomPop data Sim in the other. Freeup lets you turn off voicemail so that your voicemails will be handled by Google Voice.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    189
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    You can forward Google Voice calls to tru phone. the only drawback is that voicemails will be left on your tru phone number rather than your Google Voice account.

    If you will be doing a dual SIM setup, I think you should consider free up. I don't think they make you sign in once a month to renew anymore.

    I currently have a dual-sim unihertz atom. I have free up in one slot for voice, and a FreedomPop data Sim in the other. Freeup lets you turn off voicemail so that your voicemails will be handled by Google Voice.
    That's quite an interesting phone you have. Never knew about it until you mentioned. How is your impression of this phone. This could be a very good phone to some people I know who are still using flip phone.

    I will go with Freeup setup and will be ordering a Sim from Amazon shortly.

    Thanks!

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    402
    Feedback Score
    0

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,167
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by stupidngenius View Post
    That's quite an interesting phone you have. Never knew about it until you mentioned. How is your impression of this phone. This could be a very good phone to some people I know who are still using flip phone.

    I will go with Freeup setup and will be ordering a Sim from Amazon shortly.

    Thanks!

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I don't recommend using a unihertz atom as a daily driver if someone is used to a flip phone. It's just too small. It is considerably smaller than most flip phones on the market today. it's almost worth using just to see the look on people's faces when I use it. I have been asked more than once, is that really a phone?

    The small touch screen is hard to type on, especially for anyone whose vision or hands aren't precise.

    That said, it is very very useful for a small niche of users. It runs full-featured Android, and runs pretty well. Battery life is quite good. It is useful for when you don't want to carry a large phone, either because you don't want to be distracted, or because you don't want to be burdened by it. For example I use it when I go running so that I can make a call if I need to, and also for GPS tracking and music. The GPS works fine but if you need to be able to see the screen while driving it does not make for good navigation. Again, the screen is just too small.

    I have been using it mostly with dictation rather than typing. Google's keyboard handles dictation well enough.

    I know that was kind of rambling, but those are my basic impressions of the phone. Forgive any typos, because I wrote this whole thing using Google's voice dictation.

    If you have any other questions about it feel free to ask.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,167
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just a note about disabling voicemail on free up to allow Google Voice to do its thing.

    I found the best way is to simply dial #004# from the phone. One of my phones returned an error message for some reason, but I solved that by putting the Sim in a different phone and running the code. The voicemail setting persisted when I switched it back to my other phone.
    Last edited by barryspar; 11-27-2019 at 08:00 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    189
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    Just a note about disabling voicemail on free up to allow Google Voice to do its thing.

    I found the best way is to simply dial #004# from the phone. One of my phones returned an error message for some reason, but I saw that by putting the Sim in a different phone and running the code. The voicemail setting persisted when I switched it back to my other phone.
    Thanks for your tip on the phone and disabling voicemail on Freeup.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. What happened to T-Mobile's $25 a month Unlimited talk & text plan?
    By alwaysfocused in forum T-Mobile prepaid
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-24-2017, 12:40 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2011, 05:26 PM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-07-2010, 12:30 PM
  4. $30 unlimited talk/text plan still around?
    By tmobiley in forum MetroPCS
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 09:18 AM
  5. What's included in the talk & text plan?
    By matthewOC in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2002, 12:36 AM

Bookmarks