Thread: Ebay says "Locked to Total/Trac/Net10/ST" question

Device(s)
    Ascend Y, Proclaim, Ascend Plus
    Carrier(s)
    America Movil, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Ebay says "Locked to Total/Trac/Net10/ST" question

I've noticed that the Tracfone Ebay store now has this "Locked" message attached to several phones. You can see here.

My question: Is this a disclaimer so uninformed shoppers don't purchase a device to use with a non-Tracfone comany or are they gonna stop allowing sim swaps and rebranding between America Movil brands?

If someone buys one of these marked phones please post if you were able to use it with its non intended brand. Also, state whether you rebranded or sim swapped. Thx!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indyrunr89 View Post
    My question: Is this a disclaimer so uninformed shoppers don't purchase a device to use with a non-Tracfone comany or are they gonna stop allowing sim swaps and rebranding between America Movil brands?
    I think the purpose of the disclaimer is to squash expectation (and returned purchases) from uninformed buyers who wanted to use those phones with providers outside of the TF family of companies right away.

Every time one of these deals showed up on Slickdeals, invariably there was a flood of questions from newbies who wanted to know if they could use the phone outside of TF companies right away.

Feedback Score
    I'm guessing people were looking to buy cheap phones and didn't realize that the phones were locked to tracfone. they've must've a lot of them get returned for that reason.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I`m surprised this hasn`t shown up before now. If this works, we will see fewer refurbs.

Feedback Score
    Looks like they missed some.

Feedback Score
    Selling cell phones is the worst selling experience I've ever had. It takes the 1st 5 spots in my top 10.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    LG V35, V20, iPhone SE, Moto E4, Galaxy Go Prime, Galaxy J3 Sky
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Selling cell phones is the worst selling experience I've ever had. It takes the 1st 5 spots in my top 10.
    same sadly...I had a terrible experience trying to sell my unlocked iphone 6s last year...the guy waited like 2 months to message on swappa talking about his local sprint store couldn't activate it or something like that, I looked it up going down the google rabbit hole wasting lots of my own time and many said sprint can just be very finicky with non-sprint phones, or maybe they were using the wrong number to try and activate it or SOMETHING, I don't personally know, sprint doesn't even get signal in my local area so I've never used em. But due to the huge 6 month paypal return window I had to do a return

by the time all that was done, the 6s resale value had tanked fairly bad so I kept onto it. But at this point it's just sat around so I may try again, here's to hoping and praying another person doesn't do the same thing, or even worse a true scammer which I heard is rampant trying to sell iphones online

on the flip side, I sold an android honor 6x to a guy who was going to give it to one of his kids no problem, said he got the whole family on them and really liked them, good phone specs for the price basically.