Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Will a Pixel 3a work on Tracfone Verizon (CDMA)?

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Thanks for that link!
    Looks like it should work.

Feedback Score
    You guys had me worried. Weird, the Amazon links are all over the place - used - new, depending on when you click.
    My order status says new though, so hopefully I will be good.
    Got another 10% off on Amazon orders, so $270 seems like a reasonable deal.

Feedback Score
    The IMEI showed as good on TF's check.
    So I am assuming I can just sim swap an active sim card into it, without having to do anything else, right?

Thanks again!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FT_VZW View Post
    The IMEI showed as good on TF's check.
    So I am assuming I can just sim swap an active sim card into it, without having to do anything else, right?
    You can do a sim swap, but the TF/Verizon SIM is tied to the IMEI of your old phone. That will preclude you or anyone else from activating the old phone on another line. Why not do it "right" and ask TF to transfer service from the old SIM to a new SIM (tied to the new phone's IMEI)? Since you're staying with the same carrier (TF/Verizon), the transfer is instantaneous and has little risk of things go wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    You can do a sim swap, but the TF/Verizon SIM is tied to the IMEI of your old phone. That will preclude you or anyone else from activating the old phone on another line. Why not do it "right" and ask TF to transfer service from the old SIM to a new SIM (tied to the new phone's IMEI)? Since you're staying with the same carrier (TF/Verizon), the transfer is instantaneous and has little risk of things go wrong.
    I would need another sim card though, right?
    What would be the advantage of going that route? I am not planning on ever activating the old phone again. Not really fond of having to contact TF CS either unless absolutely necessary.

Need to figure out also what's going on with Amazon. The phone was delivered yesterday, but Amazon's webpage shows it as "undeliverable" and "returned to sender". Funny, because the UPS tracking site shows it as delivered (correctly).
    I have chatted with Amazon CS already, and was told that everything is ok, and that they can't update the order status. I hope they don't issue a refund, but I doubt it, as they won't receive a phone that's not been sent back. Hope they don't report it lost or something. Weird situation .....
    (the phone is brand new, and is sold by Amazon directly).

Feedback Score
    I would need another sim card though, right?
    What would be the advantage of going that route? I am not planning on ever activating the old phone again. Not really fond of having to contact TF CS either unless absolutely necessary.
    You did not mention the old phone's service. Is it VoLTE enabled? If not, you have to do a service transfer to get that feature on the new phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    You did not mention the old phone's service. Is it VoLTE enabled? If not, you have to do a service transfer to get that feature on the new phone.
    Thanks everybody for all the help!

Wow, this is getting complicated!
    The old phone is a LG Rebel 2. Is that VoLTE enabled? If not, and I do the sim swap, what would I be missing?

This forum is a great help, no idea how I would do this otherwise.

I do need another sim card, what's the best way to accomplish that? Get a bundle and use the card from that? Or?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The old phone is a LG Rebel 2. Is that VoLTE enabled? If not, and I do the sim swap, what would I be missing?

I do need another sim card, what's the best way to accomplish that? Get a bundle and use the card from that? Or?
    Your Rebel 2 probably is not VoLTE capable, if so its SIM is not VoLTE-provisioned. If you swap that SIM into your Pixel, your calls won't go through VoLTE. Calls going through VoLTE allow you to have Data access while the call is in progress, and the voice quality is superior than calls going through CDMA. Even if that's not important to you, the important thing is that your phone can't make/receive calls when Verizon drops support for CDMA, current target date is end of 2020.

To test and see if your call (on old phone or new phone) is going through VoLTE on Verizon, do this:
    1. Turn off WiFi. Turn on Data.
    2. Make a call to someone. Call my airport weather line 785-234-1591 if you don't want to bother anybody.
    3. WHILE THE CALL IS IN PROGRESS, try to access an online site using the phone's browser. If it works, your call is going through VoLTE. If it doesn't, or you get a message that "Data is not available at this time", your call is not going through VoLTE.

You can buy a TF SIM kit at many places (Family Dollar, Dollar General, Best Buy, Ebay...), usually on sale for $1.
    Last edited by hpham; 12-03-2019 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Added info about testing VoLTE.

Feedback Score

The Rebel 2 is VoLTE capable, but whether you have it depends on when it was activated. Activations with VoLTE on Tracfone started around mid-2018. Indications that you have VoLTE are having HD Voice on calls to another phone on Verizon service, and if you can access data while on a call.

Many ways to get $1 SIM kits. Best Buy, Target, TF eBay store, Dollar General, etc.

Feedback Score
    Interesting, guys!
    So I found out that the Rebel 2 sim in fact IS VoLTE enabled. I called that weather line, and was able to browse the internet with wifi off & data enabled. The sim was activated on 12/05/2017. I keep track of all of my activations. This is my DS's phone, btw.

What I also found out is that my own phone (s9, sim swapped) does not have VoLTE enabled. So basically, I will need to transfer service from the donor phone to a new sim in the s9, right?

I am glad I found this out now! Avoids a big surprise sometime soon.

And the spell checker here wants me to change activations to activation's, LOL.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So I found out that the Rebel 2 sim in fact IS VoLTE enabled. I called that weather line, and was able to browse the internet with wifi off & data enabled. The sim was activated on 12/05/2017. I keep track of all of my activations. This is my DS's phone, btw.

What I also found out is that my own phone (s9, sim swapped) does not have VoLTE enabled. So basically, I will need to transfer service from the donor phone to a new sim in the s9, right?
    So, you can swap the SIM from the Rebel 2 to the Pixel if you don't want to deal with TF support and don't plan to use the Rebel 2 again.

I'm not sure which is the "donor phone" with regard to the S9.

Feedback Score
    So I found out that the Rebel 2 sim in fact IS VoLTE enabled. I called that weather line, and was able to browse the internet with wifi off & data enabled. The sim was activated on 12/05/2017. I keep track of all of my activations.
    A phone activated on Tracfone in 2017 should not be VoLTE enabled. There are a instances where the account was updated automatically, but not common. Happened on a friend's phone with Page Plus.

Suggest the signal app LTE Discovery that lists if on VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    A phone activated on Tracfone in 2017 should not be VoLTE enabled. There are a instances where the account was updated automatically, but not common. Happened on a friend's phone with Page Plus.

Suggest the signal app LTE Discovery that lists if on VoLTE.
    Loboheeler, where does LTE discovery display VoLTE?

Feedback Score
    Loboheeler, where does LTE discovery display VoLTE?
    In LTE Discovery it is in In Advanced Data. Will be Voice data type: LTE if operating on VoLTE. Will say Voice data type: CDMA if not on VoLTE. If you see a signal strength display for 1xRTT it is also not using VoLTE. Enabling VoLTE in the phone turns off the CDMA radios.

There is also the Android INFO menu by dialing *#*#4636#*#*. Will likely not work on most Tracfones, but might on a Pixel. You can check and enable VoLTE there.
    Last edited by loboheeler; 12-04-2019 at 03:17 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast