Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Will a Pixel 3a work on Tracfone Verizon (CDMA)?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FT_VZW View Post
    Interesting, guys!
    So I found out that the Rebel 2 sim in fact IS VoLTE enabled. I called that weather line, and was able to browse the internet with wifi off & data enabled. The sim was activated on 12/05/2017. I keep track of all of my activations. This is my DS's phone, btw.

What I also found out is that my own phone (s9, sim swapped) does not have VoLTE enabled. So basically, I will need to transfer service from the donor phone to a new sim in the s9, right?

I am glad I found this out now! Avoids a big surprise sometime soon.

And the spell checker here wants me to change activations to activation's, LOL.

Don't go by that test call to the weather line. I did that also with my Galaxy S5 & like you, was able to go on the internet during the call. So I thought my phone was VoLTE enabled. But a test call to hpham only showed 1x at the top of the screen. So that confirmed I did not have VoLTE on the phone. I just upgraded to a S7 to solve that.
    Try a test call with someone who has a VoLTE enabled phone to find out for sure what you have.

Feedback Score
    I don't see voice data type.
    There are three sections under "device connectivity (3)" that each start with "Type".
    They are:
    Type: WIFi_P2P
    Type: MOBILE [LTE]
    Type: MOBILE [LTE]

I thin the first is wifi connectivity, second is data and thirs is voice.
    The second one MOBILE [LTE] changes to wifi as soon as wifi is enabled/connected.

Any conclusion from this? This is on my S9 btw, where I am sure it's not VoLTE enabled. On the S9, when making a phone call while on mobile data, the "LTE" label by the reception bars disappears and internet surfing is not possible.

On the moto g5splus (which has the Rebel 2 sim in it that was activated 12/2017), "LTE" remains on and web browsing works durin calls.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    @FT_VZW

If you want to do some test calls with me, send me a Private Message (click on my name, select Private Message) with your phone number and what time works for you, I'll call you from my Moto E5 which has VoLTE. My Moto E5 display "HD" on its screen if the other party is using VoLTE on Verizon.

Name:  Moto-E5-Call-with-HD-Indicator.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  21.1 KB

Feedback Score
    Thanks hpham!
    Yes, I will send you a private message. For that test, do I need to enable mobile data and/or disable wifi?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks hpham!
    Yes, I will send you a private message. For that test, do I need to enable mobile data and/or disable wifi?
    For the test call with me, turn off Data and turn off Wifi.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyT View Post
    Don't go by that test call to the weather line. I did that also with my Galaxy S5 & like you, was able to go on the internet during the call. So I thought my phone was VoLTE enabled. But a test call to hpham only showed 1x at the top of the screen. So that confirmed I did not have VoLTE on the phone. I just upgraded to a S7 to solve that.
    Try a test call with someone who has a VoLTE enabled phone to find out for sure what you have.
    That test is not useful for a Galaxy S5 for Vzw VoLTE.

The Galaxy S5 is somewhat unique in that it has two radios that allows Vzw voice and data at the same time.

See: https://community.verizonwireless.co...e/td-p/1050677

Feedback Score
    First of all, SPECIAL THANKS to hpham, one of the most helpful members on this forum!
    We just completed 4 test calls between him & the 4 phones in my household. It was great talking to you, hpham!

Turns out 3 of our 4 phones have VoLTE enabled, with the moto g5s (with the Rebel 2 sim that was activated on 12/5/2017) being one of them. The only phone that does not have VoLTE is my S9, so I will have to do a transfer there.

Interesting enough, the sim card in the S9 that does not have VoLTE comes from a ZTE zfive L phone (Z862VL), activated on 11/23/2018. If anything, I would have expected that sim card to be VoLTE capable, and I am sure my S9 has that capability, of course.
    Is the ZTE zfive L (Z862VL) not VoLTE capable, or do I need to change some settings on the Samsung S9?

Thanks again to hpham!!!

Feedback Score
    @loboheeler:
    I am 100% sure that the Rebel 2 sim (which has VoLTE enabled) was activated on 12/5/2017 - my DS's b-day when he got the phone (and the moto g5s plus which uses that sim). I triple checked everything including the original sim card number, and I even have a copy of the activation chat. There is no doubt.
    If VoLTE wasn't available at the time (12/2017), then TF must have activated it sometime on the way. Maybe that's a good general data point to have.

I wish they would do this for my S9 / Z862VL.

Feedback Score
    First of all, SPECIAL THANKS to hpham, one of the most helpful members on this forum! We just completed 4 test calls between him & the 4 phones in my household. It was great talking to you, hpham! Turns out 3 of our 4 phones have VoLTE enabled, with the moto g5s (with the Rebel 2 sim that was activated on 12/5/2017) being one of them. The only phone that does not have VoLTE is my S9, so I will have to do a transfer there. Interesting enough, the sim card in the S9 that does not have VoLTE comes from a ZTE zfive L phone (Z862VL), activated on 11/23/2018. If anything, I would have expected that sim card to be VoLTE capable, and I am sure my S9 has that capability, of course. Is the ZTE zfive L (Z862VL) not VoLTE capable, or do I need to change some settings on the Samsung S9? Thanks again to hpham!!!
    is the Samsung S9 factory unlocked or is it branded (has Verizon AT&T- T mobile logo ) ?? on the S9, dial *#*#4636#*#* a secret menu should show, click phone information - scroll down and you should see some provisioning switches for VoLTE - WIFI Calling etc. that will tell you if you have VoLTE enabled on your phone.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Interesting enough, the sim card in the S9 that does not have VoLTE comes from a ZTE zfive L phone (Z862VL), activated on 11/23/2018. If anything, I would have expected that sim card to be VoLTE capable, and I am sure my S9 has that capability, of course.
    Put the VoLTE-provisioned SIM from the Rebel 2 into the S9 and call one of your other phones that have VoLTE-enabled. If the call is not going through VoLTE (no HD indicator on either end), then the S9 needs to be set to use VoLTE in its settings.

Feedback Score
    First of all, SPECIAL THANKS to hpham, one of the most helpful members on this forum!
    We just completed 4 test calls between him & the 4 phones in my household. It was great talking to you, hpham!

Turns out 3 of our 4 phones have VoLTE enabled, with the moto g5s (with the Rebel 2 sim that was activated on 12/5/2017) being one of them. The only phone that does not have VoLTE is my S9, so I will have to do a transfer there.

Is the ZTE zfive L (Z862VL) not VoLTE capable, or do I need to change some settings on the Samsung S9?

Thanks again to hpham!!!
    I'm not up on this phone stuff like hpham, (yes he is very helpful) or others here, but it seems like the easiest thing to do to get VoLTE on the S9 is activate it with a new sim. I'm sure someone who knows for sure will chime in.
    I see you have a couple suggestions already.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    That test is not useful for a Galaxy S5 for Vzw VoLTE.

The Galaxy S5 is somewhat unique in that it has two radios that allows Vzw voice and data at the same time.

See: https://community.verizonwireless.co...e/td-p/1050677

Thanks for that. Both myself & hpham were stumped why the S5 was allowing me to go on the net during the weather call, yet the call with him confirmed I didn't have VoLTE. Now I know why. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    is the Samsung S9 factory unlocked or is it branded (has Verizon AT&T- T mobile logo ) ?? on the S9, dial *#*#4636#*#* a secret menu should show, click phone information - scroll down and you should see some provisioning switches for VoLTE - WIFI Calling etc. that will tell you if you have VoLTE enabled on your phone.
    I bought the Samsung S9 a year ago (black friday deal) on Amazon, brand new and unlocked.
    There is no risk trying this out?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Put the VoLTE-provisioned SIM from the Rebel 2 into the S9 and call one of your other phones that have VoLTE-enabled. If the call is not going through VoLTE (no HD indicator on either end), then the S9 needs to be set to use VoLTE in its settings.
    Looking at the mobile settings on the S9, I see two options under Mobile networks --> Network mode:
    - LTE / CDMA
    - CDMA

The first one (LTE / CDMA) is selected.
    There is no setting that in any way indicates VoLTE.

I can try using the Rebel 2 sim in the S9 tonight and will report back.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Looking at the mobile settings on the S9, I see two options under Mobile networks --> Network mode:
    - LTE / CDMA
    - CDMA

The first one (LTE / CDMA) is selected.
    There is no setting that in any way indicates VoLTE.

I can try using the Rebel 2 sim in the S9 tonight and will report back.
    On some phones, like my TF-branded Samsung J3 Sky, the setting for VoLTE didn't show up until the SIM got provisioned for VoLTE. Below are the before and after screenshots.

We'll know if that's the case with your S9 when you put the SIM from the Rebel 2 into it.

Name:  Samsung-Sky-Tracfone.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  Samsung-Sky-Straight-Talk.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  30.7 KB

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast