Thread: Any unlocked Android phones with WiFi calling on Verizon prepaid?

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a (unlocked version)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon prepaid
    Feedback Score

Any unlocked Android phones with WiFi calling on Verizon prepaid?

I'm asking here instead of the dedicated Verizon prepaid forum because this forum gets more traffic and also people using Verizon MVNOs probably have the same situation.

My current phone doesn't have wifi calling. I was recently in a location where wifi calling would have been useful and this made me realize I would like to have it on my next phone. I've noticed that while Verizon doesn't seem to have sales on phones for existing customers, unlocked versions of some of the same phones are on sale in other stores. However, I am aware that carriers don't always support wifi calling on unlocked phones.

Has anyone found an unlocked Android phone that does have wifi calling on Verizon?
    I can't believe I made a typo when entering my screen name....

Device(s)
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 3a, Pixel 4XL, Moto X4, Moto G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    Here’s the link to WiFi calling on Verizon. I haven’t checked in a while but eligibility was the same on post paid and prepaid.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...faqs/#eligible

Most smart phones are WiFi calling eligible.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+, Moto X4, Moto G5 Plus, Blu R1HD, IPhone 6s, Defective Umidigi Power
    Carrier(s)
    VerizonPP, Red Pocket A,T,V
    Feedback Score
    I have an unlocked Galaxy S10+ on Vz PP and it does wifi calling. I don't see an indication it can use VOLTE but that may be automatic and not indicated given the demise of CDMA next year.

Feedback Score
    The unlocked phones don't show VoLTE indicator while in a call. But make a call (voicemail will do), and if the LTE is still active on the screen (not the 1x for CDMA), then you have VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Colecaz View Post
    I have an unlocked Galaxy S10+ on Vz PP and it does wifi calling. I don't see an indication it can use VOLTE but that may be automatic and not indicated given the demise of CDMA next year.
    If you're phone couldn't do VoLTE on Verizon's network Verizon wouldn't allow in on the network.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a (unlocked version)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I've been looking around online and wifi calling on unlocked phones seems highly variable. I found a Samsung discussion with a bunch of people griping about the lack of availability on various phones and carriers. I read somewhere that one person had two Moto G7 Power phones, one Verizon model and one unlocked, and the Verizon one had wifi calling but the unlocked phone didn't. From what I've seen, the Google Pixel phones are probably OK - I may consider the 3a.

I think if this feature is important to any potential buyers it would be good to google the specific phone and see what actual users are saying about it before buying.
    Last edited by itssjustme; 11-30-2019 at 11:46 AM. Reason: fix typos/clarity

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    If you're phone couldn't do VoLTE on Verizon's network Verizon wouldn't allow in on the network.
    Not quite true yet. I don't think anything prevents you from moving a SIM from a phone with VoLTE to a phone without it. But you can't activate a SIM in a phone without VoLTE. And for even older phones without LTE you can't transfer to it (since, without use of SIM, you would have to go through Verizon to enable it).
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.