Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RedPocket: Switch from GSMA to CDMA-Verizon

Feedback Score

RedPocket: Switch from GSMA to CDMA-Verizon

Few things happening and I want to be sure I get this correct.

Currently on RP 5GB GSMA AT&T expiring in Jan. Good RP sale on right now.

Verizon coverage is reportedly better here plus VoLTE works on the Essential phone.

I assume I have to order "CDMA (Verizon Compatible Phone)" and NOT "Renewal/Existing SIM" form the dropdown.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-25-Mo-Re...E/133058350672

Then I wait until the day before my current AT&T plan expires, chat with customer service via the web portal, and inform them I want to switch?

Is it that straight forward? I won't have to explicitly port my current RP # to the new SIM?

Am I missing anything? (I know after the switch I have to tell them to enable VoLTE on my account for that to work)

Thanks

P.S.
    I believe I could also have them switch the plan now (they used to do 1 GSMA-CDMA switch per year IIRC), and use the CDMA SIM I have form last years Black Friday purchase right away, and then just purchase a "Renewal/Existing SIM" from the current Black Friday sale, but seems it might be safer to do what I posted at the top.... ?
    Last edited by alster; 11-29-2019 at 08:52 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Who is RP ?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alster View Post

Verizon coverage is reportedly better here plus VoLTE works on the Essential phone.

I assume I have to order "CDMA (Verizon Compatible Phone)" and NOT "Renewal/Existing SIM" form the dropdown.

Then I wait until the day before my current AT&T plan expires, chat with customer service via the web portal, and inform them I want to switch?

Is it that straight forward? I won't have to explicitly port my current RP # to the new SIM?

Am I missing anything? (I know after the switch I have to tell them to enable VoLTE on my account for that to work)

Thanks
    You're phone has to support CDMA. No GSMA like your current plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Labrat0116 View Post
    You're phone has to support CDMA. No GSMA like your current plan.
    This phone supports CDMA

Feedback Score
    RP told me my Samsung S8 is not compatible with CDMA. I put a RP CDMA sim into it and it loaded all the options for HD Voice and Video. I'll be trying to switch to CDMA in about a week.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCSSGT View Post
    RP told me my Samsung S8 is not compatible with CDMA. I put a RP CDMA sim into it and it loaded all the options for HD Voice and Video. I'll be trying to switch to CDMA in about a week.
    Did you provide S8's IMEI when you talked to RP? From what I know when the carrier, RP in this case, tells you the phone is not compatible actually means the IMEI isn't in RP's Verizon IMEI whitelist. As such there isn't any way for RP to activate the phone even though the phone's hardware is compatible in every aspect as far as VoLTE's concern. I have an unlocked Tracfone LG Rebel 2 which has VoLTE (HD voice) on TracFone but when I ran its IMEI on RP's compatibility check, I was told I could only activate it with 3G, not VoLTE. There were a few threads in TracFone/Net10 talked about the similar situation as yours when trying to activate an unlocked phone on TracFone Verizon CDMA.
    Last edited by Rick880; 11-29-2019 at 10:54 PM.

Feedback Score
    Yes, they said not compatible by the IMEI. It was an ATT purchased phone, then unlocked.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score

Thanks

P.S.
    I believe I could also have them switch the plan now (they used to do 1 GSMA-CDMA switch per year IIRC), and use the CDMA SIM I have form last years Black Friday purchase right away, and then just purchase a "Renewal/Existing SIM" from the current Black Friday sale, but seems it might be safer to do what I posted at the top.... ?
    I made the switch from the CDMA plan to the GSMA plan earlier this year for my backup phone (I wanted it on a different network than my primary) so I used an existing SIM from RP (they used to provide all 3). I just lost the remainder of the active month on my 12 month plan.

Of course, I didn't know I was going to change my primary phone to another carrier later in the year, so I should just have left well enough alone.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I made the switch from the CDMA plan to the GSMA plan earlier this year for my backup phone (I wanted it on a different network than my primary) so I used an existing SIM from RP (they used to provide all 3). I just lost the remainder of the active month on my 12 month plan.

Of course, I didn't know I was going to change my primary phone to another carrier later in the year, so I should just have left well enough alone.
    Hm.

So my second plan, I added as a "P.S." to my OP, should work--

i.e., have customer service make the switch NOW (using one of the CDMA SIMs I already have from a past purchase I made, where they used to give all 3 (I have a bunch of them) ), THEN, I can just purchase a "Renewal/Exisiting SIM" from the current sale, and add it in within 90 days....

EXCEPT, I'll lose the rest of this month...

*Update:
    I spoke to RP customer service, and if I wait until the day before my current *month* expires (not the entire annual plan), I can make the switch to CDMA and only lose at most, one day of the current month, and be fully switched over to CDMA for the remaining time on my current annual plan (expires in January).

This way, I can order JUST the "Renewal/Existing SIM" from the RP eBay deal now, and add that into my account in January (or sooner, because ppl are reporting stacking is NOW working, even many months in advance (see SD thread) ).
    Last edited by alster; 11-30-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Feedback Score
    I just changed to CDMA in my Samsung S8. I used one of my old SIMs from my multi pack. Input the SIM online, Input my IMEI, and it accepted both (just doing a device check with IMEI, it said not compatible????) I bought a 1 month plan to try it out. That also bumps my annual plan farther away from Black Friday sales.

Feedback Score
    Just want to be clear here. Are you saying you changed an "active" RP GSMA plan to CDMA without the assistance of customer service?

Feedback Score
    Also to be clear....."Customer Service" was greatly involved. Took several times, because I first tried to port my own number to the new sim. Should have worked out all the details first with CS.
    Still don't have VZ voicemail.

Feedback Score
    Closing out this thread;

I made the switch. Called RP (chat took too long), He asked for the IMEI of the phone, the monthly expiration date, and the NEW SIM ICCID.

Took about 10 minutes for him to submit the request to the back end, then he said to call back in about an hr to check the status of the transfer.

In about 15 minutes I got a message on my phone that the (current GSMA) SIM was "Not Provisioned". I proly could've called back then, but I waited the requisite time, and called back.

The first girl didn't quite understand what was going on until I told her to look at the notes from the previous guy, then she got it.

After about 10 minutes on hold, the added back in the remaining month on my yearly, and I powered off, switched the SIM, and powered up and tried to make a call.

The Verzion automated response asking me to press one for English could not "register" my "1" for some reason. Tried with 4 or 5 reboots.

The rep almost had me reset all my networking configurations which were loaded with stuff (good thing I didn't do it).

Eventually my "1" registered and phone calls started working. The APN menu was now hidden, but everything was working well, calls, texts, SMS and data.

Then I had to insist that she "fix" the plan the had me on in the web portal.

They put me on the "one month unlimited 3GB 4G LTE" plan, wherein she was insisting for about 10 minutes that there's no 5GB plan on CDMA.

I finally convinced her about the current eBay listing and after 10 minutes on hold, the re-updated my plan to "Annual 5GB 4G LTE"

I don't anticipate any issues adding in my refill pin next month to add the next year, but we'll see.

CDMA is better for me so far- Stronger signal, faster data speeds.

Feedback Score
    They keep calling this plan "CDMA". You will probably never see CDMA on your device, it's on the way out on Verizon's network. All new devices are working in LTE only, with calls using VoLTE and HDVoice.
    Since I have activated my S10, it never dropped to 1x or 3G (CDMA or CDMA2000) in my area.
    What is more appropriate to call this plan is "VZW network". Or "Red" if they are not allowed to use that network name.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Closing out this thread;

Eventually my "1" registered and phone calls started working. The APN menu was now hidden, but everything was working well, calls, texts, SMS and data..
    I forgot about this. The 2 times I've tried activating an android phone on RP Red, it has not taken the 1 button. Had to use an iPhone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast