Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about sim swap

Feedback Score

Question about sim swap

All phones involved are iPhones.

1. 5s bought from Tracfone with AT&T SIM (activated).
    2. SE bought from Wal-Mart Straight Talk/Total Wireless with Verizon SIM (not activated)

I activated an AT&T Byop SIM and put it in the 5s, then moved the 5s SIM to the SE so that both phones would be AT&T.

I have now bought a 6s from Tracfone which I assume will be Verizon. Can I just move the BYOP SIM from the 5s or do I need to do some sort of activation with Tracfone?

Thanks so much.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DougEll View Post
    Can I just move the BYOP SIM from the 5s or do I need to do some sort of activation with Tracfone?
    Which phone do you want to move the BYOP SIM from the 5s to?

Feedback Score
    Sorry. To the 6s.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Sorry. To the 6s.
    If the 6s has the freqs used by AT&T, then you can swap the BYOP SIM from the 5s to it. The only drawback is that TF won't record the 6s as activated and in use, which won't get it unlocked after 12 months of paid usage, if that's important to you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    If the 6s has the freqs used by AT&T, then you can swap the BYOP SIM from the 5s to it. The only drawback is that TF won't record the 6s as activated and in use, which won't get it unlocked after 12 months of paid usage, if that's important to you.
    I don't plan to move away from Tracfone so unlocking isn't a concern for me.

Just so I'm clear on the process:

I set up the 6s through Apple with the 5s BYOP sim in it and that's all I'll need to do?

Thanks Hpham. I read this forum every day and really appreciate all the contributions. Don't know how I'd deal with Tfone without all the help!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I set up the 6s through Apple with the 5s BYOP sim in it and that's all I'll need to do?
    I don't know the part about setting up through Apple. I know nothing about iPhones.

Feedback Score
    Anybody familiar with iPhones chime in?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    The set up with Apple is entering the Apple ID on the Message settings to enable imessage, to download apps from the Apple App Store,

( same as Google Play store, Google account for gmail, etc.....), iTunes for music - Some use apple ID for icloud storage as well.

Apple ID has nothing to do with TF sim swapping. My thoughts are that you can sim swap the ATT sim with no problem , IF the phone

model of the iPhone 6s will allow it.... and it should , according to Swappa:

"The A1688 is for GSM and CDMA, sold as the carrier model for Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint, and has broad international compatibility. The A1633 will work best for AT&T and most MVNOs. The A1633 was sold by Apple as the SIM-free model and is typically used by Apple for replacement devices."

Feedback Score

Question about sim swap

Did something similar about a year ago from 5s to 6 on two iPhones. The AT&T one had no problems. On the Verizon phone, I got caught in that APN mess that is well documented elsewhere.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ation-problem/

It is not quite true that setting up the iPhone has nothing to do with TF, because on iOS you can't edit the APN settings. These are normally sent from Apple to your phone. So Apple needs to know which carrier you are on. You can try installing your own APN profile, but that's where I got stuck. Later I transferred to a new SIM and didn't need an APN profile anymore.

I SIM swap with abandon on my Android devices, but hesitate to do so on my iPhone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    Did something similar about a year ago from 5s to 6 on two iPhones. The AT&T one had no problems. On the Verizon phone, I got caught in that APN mess that is well documented elsewhere.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ation-problem/

It is not quite true that setting up the iPhone has nothing to do with TF, because on iOS you can't edit the APN settings. These are normally sent from Apple to your phone. So Apple needs to know which carrier you are on. You can try installing your own APN profile, but that's where I got stuck. Later I transferred to a new SIM and didn't need an APN profile anymore.

I SIM swap with abandon on my Android devices, but hesitate to do so on my iPhone.
    Would I be safer to try to get an AT&T sim from Tracfone? Is that even possible?

Feedback Score
    Would I be safer to try to get an AT&T sim from Tracfone? Is that even possible?
    Maybe I missed it. Did you even try just putting the SIM in the 6s ? Isn't going to hurt anything.

Feedback Score
    I don't actually have the 6s yet, just trying to get ready for when it arrives.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I don't actually have the 6s yet, just trying to get ready for when it arrives.
    I am an iPhone user. Have a Straight Talk SE purchased from Walmart (came with verizon sim). My everyday carry is an Unlocked 6 purchased new/sealed box on ebay. I never used the sim that came with the SE (put it back in the box).

I have always used Tracfone BYOP Sims. Have used them successfully with tracfone branded smart phones; (android or iphone). At this point I have moved tracfone BYOP Sims from SE to 6 and moved to unlocked Android phones with no problems.

My main phone no. sim has been in the SE, an unlocked Note 4, an unlocked Motorola Droid, and the iPhone 6. The sim is an ATT tracfone BYOP sim.

I wouldn't even activate the sim that comes with the 6s if it is a verizon sim. If you prefer ATT then I would try a tracfone BYOP ATT sim in your 6S phone.

Sent from my SM-N910V using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Update on SIM swap.
    Got the 6s (refurb) today (well, yesterday now) and it looks like new with 100% battery life. I received a separate card for the required unlimited plan purchase.

I put the BYOP SIM from the 5s into the 6s and then went through Apple activation. It worked but I wasn't getting message notifications or clicking when keys are pressed. I finally got it working correctly and part of the problem was my ignorance of IOS.. Guess I'm not too old to learn😉

Thanks so much for the input, everybody.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Update on SIM swap.
    Got the 6s (refurb) today (well, yesterday now) and it looks like new with 100% battery life. I received a separate card for the required unlimited plan purchase.

I put the BYOP SIM from the 5s into the 6s and then went through Apple activation. It worked but I wasn't getting message notifications or clicking when keys are pressed. I finally got it working correctly and part of the problem was my ignorance of IOS.. Guess I'm not too old to learn😉

Thanks so much for the input, everybody.
    I think nobody is necessarily too old. My mom started using an iPhone when she turned 84 earlier this year. She's not a power user, but she is able to use it as well as a lot of people using an iPhone. I had my doubts because she had used a LG Octane VN530 for almost nine years prior to getting an iPhone, but she proved me wrong! My dad is also 84 and is also currently using an iPhone, but he got his first smart phone around 10 years ago, so smart phones aren't new to him.

I'm glad you got it working. I think the iPhone 6s is still a great phone for the money!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast