Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TF Moto G6 Sim question(s)

Feedback Score

TF Moto G6 Sim question(s)

Hi
    In spite of the TF chat rep assuring me my new TF Moto G6 would be shipped with an AT&T sim card, the phone arrived with a Verizon sim card,
    Note: I was on TF live chat, while ordering the phone, for the sim version assurance.

I previously ordered the ebay $39.99 1200/1200/3GB + sim (AT&T compatible), which will arrive Monday:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/283448464240

Question:
    Can I just put the ebay sim in the Moto G6 and activate it to get the above mentioned service plan?
    I also want to transfer my existing TF LG service (with substantial min/texts/data/end of service date) to the G6.

Any help on the best way to get the AT&T sim, new ebay 1-year service, and my previous LG balances accumulated on the new G6 will be greatly appreciated.

I also have some unused BYOP sim kits if one of these will help.

As always, thank you in advance.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    - I would check the G6 IMEI on tracfone for comparability with ATT - if it will work ( I think it should ) , proceed.

- Add the eBay ATT sim number to your account under the “Add Device” category

- Activate the ATT SIM with a Transfer of your current phone number & balances to the new ATT SIM / Device via either

Chat or Online. Chat may be preferable to document your balances & to be assured what is done is what you want to

happen.

- insert the ATT sim in the G6 , off you go.

Feedback Score
    I would like to know the result. I have a TracFone Moto E5 from HSN and it doesn't take TracFone/AT&T SIM. If TracFone Moto G6 is in the same category as TracFone Moto E5, it is a no go. But it may not.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    - I would check the G6 IMEI on tracfone for comparability with ATT - if it will work ( I think it should ) , proceed.

- Add the eBay ATT sim number to your account under the “Add Device” category

- Activate the ATT SIM with a Transfer of your current phone number & balances to the new ATT SIM / Device via either

Chat or Online. Chat may be preferable to document your balances & to be assured what is done is what you want to

happen.

- insert the ATT sim in the G6 , off you go.

Thank you Trek83;
    I have already checked the IMEI, and it is compatible with AT&T. I will proceed with your recommendations Monday evening (after I receive the ebay sim).
    I thought this would be the way to go, but I just wanted to check to see if anyone knew of any pitfalls to avoid.
    Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    I would like to know the result. I have a TracFone Moto E5 from HSN and it doesn't take TracFone/AT&T SIM. If TracFone Moto G6 is in the same category as TracFone Moto E5, it is a no go. But it may not.
    Hello Rick880;
    I also just received the Moto E5 from HSN. It is my wife's Christmas present (good thing she doesn't read forums. )

The E5 I received is model XT1920DL. The "DL" suffix means it is dual radio (GSM or CDMA), and it should work fine with AT&T (GSM).

I just looked inside my HSN E5 phone bundle hoping to find a separate airtime card for the included year of service/min/texts/data.
    Unfortunately, I did not find such a card, so I believe the service is preloaded on the included Verizon sim card.
    Thus, I am not sure how to get the service from the Verizon sim to a new AT&T sim.

You might want to initiate a chat with Tracfone, and explain what you want to do.
    I know they can send you a new AT&T sim for the E5 (for $0.99), and then probably transfer the year of service from the Verizon sim to the AT&T sim.
    There may be a different way to do this, but I'm not sure.

Please let us know how this turns out for you.

The difference between my G6 situation, and your's, is that my G6 Verizon sim does not have any service pre-loaded on it.
    Thus, I do not need to get any service from the Verizon sim to the ebay AT&T sim.

I will post my results after I receive my ebay sim on Monday.

Thank you all again for your help.

Feedback Score
    There is no separate airtime card with HSN phones. You can activate it with a new number and get the bundled minutes/texts/data or with an existing number and get the combined balance of the original old phone and the new phone. Just follow the instruction sheet in the box. I did the latter. Yes, Moto E5 is a DL model too (XT1920DL) but as indicated by the first post in this thread - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...to-e5-findings - the TracFone version of Moto E5 is different from the Simple Mobile's version. Basically TracFone's version just doesn't work with TracFone AT&T SIM. I also have a TracFone/AT&T phone (LG Rebel 4, a Simple Mobile phone re-branded to TracFone) and I had pulled its SIM out and tried it on the HSN phone, same result. That is why I am curious about whether TracFone's Mote G6 can take TracFone/AT&T SIM or not.

Feedback Score
    The DL hardware and the Moto hardware should be a go, but Tracfone can put software locks wherever it wants. So when they are favoring one carrier for whatever reason, the other carriers are locked out. They did not used to favor Verizon. I guess they are getting a deal. Tracfones seem to be stuck with Verizon lately. Unlocking should remove the software lock but I don't know how they accomplish that over the air. They have a way to send secret texts I think.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribby1 View Post
    Thank you Trek83;
    I have already checked the IMEI, and it is compatible with AT&T. I will proceed with your recommendations Monday evening (after I receive the ebay sim).
    I thought this would be the way to go, but I just wanted to check to see if anyone knew of any pitfalls to avoid.
    Thanks again.
    You’re welcome. I did this with my mom’s phone recently. Her service was already on ATT, so the transfer process was instantaneous.

All of her previous balances were added to the eBay tracfone ATT preloaded SIM. I did it online, no chat.

Feedback Score
    I would like to know the result. I have a TracFone Moto E5 from HSN and it doesn't take TracFone/AT&T SIM.
    Hi Again;
    Just an FYI:

Out of curiosity, I chatted TF and gave them the IMEI # from my (wife's) new HSN Moto E5. This is the one that recently arrived with a Verizon sim card.

I asked the TF rep if the phone can be used on the TF AT&T network instead of Verizon.
    The TF rep said it could, and offered to sell me a TF AT&T sim card for $0.99.
    I suspect all the HSN Moto E5's, recently sold under the NEW20 promotion, have this capability.

I declined the sim card, as I want to keep this phone on Verizon.
    This is so we have both a Verizon TF (Moto E5) and an AT&T TF (Moto G6) for better coverage when traveling.
    Thank you.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    I just put my trac/at&t sim in my hsn moto e5. It works right out of the box. It also works in my simple mobile moto e5. They are the exact same phones down to the model number.
    Need a Tello referral? Get $10 when you sign up. https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3RNHB4D

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    I just put my trac/at&t sim in my hsn moto e5. It works right out of the box. It also works in my simple mobile moto e5. They are the exact same phones down to the model number.
    With your testimony I gave it another try - replacing Moto E5's TF/Verizon sim with LG Rebel 4's TF/AT&T sim - and it worked this time! I don't know what happened last time when I did it. Maybe I did not seat the sim properly?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    With your testimony I gave it another try - replacing Moto E5's TF/Verizon sim with LG Rebel 4's TF/AT&T sim - and it worked this time! I don't know what happened last time when I did it. Maybe I did not seat the sim properly?
    You're saying it didn't even recognize the sim the first time? I thought it wouldn't work as in making a call. Anyways I have 3 Simple Mobile moto e5's. They were all activated on TracFone. I had them rebranded. I have one on T-Mobile, one on AT&T and one on Verizon.
    Last edited by cellular-dude; 12-02-2019 at 03:47 AM.

Feedback Score
    Wow.....I am amazed actually. Of course, the tracfone reviewer said this would not work but that was as of Sept 2018
    https://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.co...dl-review.html

So here we evidently have a e5 tracfone from HSN that is ambidextrous! I have to try this....will try it on tuesday. Makes that 50 buck deal very appealing.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Wow.....I am amazed actually. Of course, the tracfone reviewer said this would not work but that was as of Sept 2018
    https://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.co...dl-review.html

So here we evidently have a e5 tracfone from HSN that is ambidextrous! I have to try this....will try it on tuesday. Makes that 50 buck deal very appealing.
    All tracfone's that have model numbers ending in DL can be used with all 3 sims. There's even a moto g7 power sold by Total Wireless and Straight Talk going by the name moto Optimus Maxx that can be used on TracFone using all 3 carrier sims. Its currently $130 and when it comes down in price I'm getting one.

Feedback Score
    You're saying it didn't even recognize the sim the first time? I thought it wouldn't work as in making a call. Anyways I have 3 Simple Mobile moto e5's. They were all activated on TracFone. I had them rebranded. I have one on T-Mobile, one on AT&T and one on Verizon.
    At that time I tried two Tracfone phones: myFlip and Moto E5. No problem with myFlip. With Moto E5 I had the prenotion that it would not work from the previous discussion at this forum so when I tried to make a phone call and it did not work, I simply assumed that was what it should be and did not do anything further.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast