Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TF Moto G6 Sim question(s)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    At that time I tried two Tracfone phones: myFlip and Moto E5. No problem with myFlip. With Moto E5 I had the prenotion that it would not work from the previous discussion at this forum so when I tried to make a phone call and it did not work, I simply assumed that was what it should be and did not do anything further.
    Sometimes, when swapping sims, I have had to do some sort of magic to get them to work. In and out of airplane mode, two hard reboots, battery removal, the laying on of hands, etc..prayer helps too.

Feedback Score
    Hi;
    Since I started this thread, I wanted to close the loop on my Moto G6 activation:

I received my ebay AT&T sim yesterday, and activated it on the TF website last night.
    I then transfered my TF LG Sunset's phone number to the sim, and installed it in the G6.

Long story short, I received the new 1 year of service/minutes/texts/data from the ebay sim, along with all
    my minutes/texts/data/service from my LG Sunset.

The whole process took approximately 15 minutes for the transfer to complete, and nothing was lost.

I now have a new Moto G6, on AT&T, that I need to learn how to use.

Once thing I did find out is that the Moto G6 has the new(er) USB C charging port, whereas my wife's Christmas present (HSN Moto E5) has the old microUSB charge port.

That means we will need different charge cables for each phone.

To solve this, I bought a couple microUSB to USB C adapters on ebay for approx $2.
    They should work to charge my phone off the old cables.

As always, thank you all for your help.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribby1 View Post
    Hi;
    Since I started this thread, I wanted to close the loop on my Moto G6 activation:

I received my ebay AT&T sim yesterday, and activated it on the TF website last night.
    I then transfered my TF LG Sunset's phone number to the sim, and installed it in the G6.

Long story short, I received the new 1 year of service/minutes/texts/data from the ebay sim, along with all

The whole process took approximately 15 minutes for the transfer to complete, and nothing was lost.

Once thing I did find out is that the Moto G6 has the new(er) USB C charging port, whereas my wife's Christmas present (HSN Moto E5) has the old microUSB charge port.

To solve this, I bought a couple microUSB to USB C adapters on ebay for approx $2.

Thanks for the update, glad all went smoothly & satisfactorily

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    I've considered the magnetic cables/tips for that.
    Correct tip in each phone, same cable attached to either.

Even more with an iPhone soon to be in the mix (so 3 different tips).

But the reviews haven't been great. Either slow charging or longevity issues.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Hi;

Corret me if I'm mistaken (not unusual) but I believe the charging cable for the G6 is a rapid charger. Dunno if this would effect anything other than take longer to fully charge.
    I whave read reports that 'overcharging' a phone leads to shorter battery life. I don't know if I beleive this though as my wife is using my old carry motoE5 2nd gen and she leaves it plugged in all the while when we are home. That phone must be 5 years old, with a non replaceable battery.
    Last edited by gmannix; 12-04-2019 at 09:58 PM. Reason: typo

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    Corret me if I'm mistaken (not unusual) but I believe the charging cable for the G6 is a rapid charger.
    It's the charger that is a quick-charger or not. The cable doesn't matter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    Corret me if I'm mistaken (not unusual) but I believe the charging cable for the G6 is a rapid charger. Dunno if this would effect anything other than take longer to fully charge.
    The Moto TurboPower charger needs to have feedback from the phone to adjust it's higher variable current/voltage. Without that feedback it will work at a constant rate like a conventional charging power supply. You can use a TurboPower charger on a conventional phone, or a conventional charging power supply on a TurboPower phone. Either way will provide conventional charging.

My Moto G5+ is TurboPower, but I did not like the results. so use a conventional charging power supply. Maybe the Moto G6 is different with it's USB-C connection.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quick charging of whatever type is a nice occasional convenience, but you'll likely experience greater battery lifespan (not referring to run time) if you go with a lighter charge (lower max amperage - for a slower charge) and don't go to 100% all the time. For non-removable battery devices (are there still any exceptions?) that you plan to keep, that's a smart move.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Agee with less than 100%, and best to not discuss below 30-40%.

I disagree with charge rates. Any current lipo should handle a 2C rate without shortening life.

So for a 2500mAhr battery that 5A. At 4.2V that's 21W. For a 3000mAhr battery that's 6A and 25.2W.

QC 3 is 18W max.

And the device manufacturer should set QC limits based in the battery they picked for the device. If the battery is only 1C or 1.5C then the device should stay under that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Agee with less than 100%, and best to not discuss below 30-40%.

I disagree with charge rates. Any current lipo should handle a 2C rate without shortening life.
    If you don't allow a charge to 100% the battery meter software will not give a usage history. That may in time also affect the calibration of the battery meter. Most users will not want to set charging intervals to some rigid percentage numbers.

Lipo batteries? What phones use these instead of Li-ion?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    My LG Q6 and LG G6 use Li-po batteries.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    My LG Q6 and LG G6 use Li-po batteries.
    Interesting that the LG G6 also uses QC 3.0 charging. Later Samsungs still use Li-ion batteries and QC 2.0. Moto TurboPower phones use a similar but somewhat different method. You can look at the output voltages on the power supply to determine whether it's a 2.0 or 3.0 type. 2.0 lists three stepped voltages (5V,9V,12V), while 3.0 has a variable range (3.2V-20V at 200mV increments).

Might it be that Li-ion batteries can't use QC 3.0 effectively? I will check with friends that use Li-po batteries in electric powered radio control models. These charge up pretty fast.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Most users will not want to set charging intervals to some rigid percentage numbers.
    It was about batter longevity, not user convenience.

Everything for over a decade.

Lithium polymer allows the different shapes that allow thin phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Everything for over a decade.

Lithium polymer allows the different shapes that allow thin phones.
    Lithium polymer is a common battery type description, but not strictly correct. Most are a hybrid type that are Li-ion with polymer insulation. From what I understand, a true LI-po has the lithium dispersed in a polymer matrix.

Looked my phones with removable batteries. Moto G4 says LITHIUM ION POLYMER. Alcatel Raven says LITHIUM ION, Samsung Core Prime says LITHIUM ION.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Lithium polymer is a common battery type description, but not strictly correct. Most are a hybrid type that are Li-ion with polymer insulation. From what I understand, a true LI-po has the lithium dispersed in a polymer matrix.
    All the thin flat batteries are based on the polymer tech, whether dry, gel, or porous electrolyte.

The flexible foil packaging defines them, though some (user serviceable) are put in plastic housings for protection (my GS3 and universal remote).

Versus the metal cased cylindrical cells Li-ion used in EVs, laptops, power tools, and flash lights.

Of course they all rely on lithium ions moving to produce power so technically would be Li-ion.

When the flexible foil pouch polymer cells first hit they were distinguished. Now they often aren't as nobody expects anything else in a phone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast