Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is WiFi calling reliable on AT&T?

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Yeah.. all of my group messaging is ever done in an app or iMessage, although I only regularly talk to two android users.

Last month on my statement I used 14 SMS/MMS haha
    Wow. We use several thousand a month.

Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk/ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Next, Wi-Fi calling itself. It seems to work for calls, it generally works for SMS, but it doesn't work for MMS, at least on most Android phones. I was at a complex recently with very weak AT&T service (right between two towers, works fine outside), and using Wi-Fi calling, I kept getting MMS failures, and finally realized that if I toggled Wi-Fi off, the MMS messages would come flooding in, and then I'd have to toggle it back on to make sure I'd have service for everything else if I wandered too far from a window where there is cellular service. I've had the same experience at other locations, so it's an AT&T issue, not specific to that building or Comcast at that location. I also have issues getting it to move over to Wi-Fi calling, even at -121dBm LTE or worse, so I sometimes have to cycle airplane mode or even put Wi-Fi on in Airplane mode to force it onto Wi-Fi calling, then turn the cellular radio back on.

That being said, it's certainly better than not having it, but I wish that they would make it work properly and reliably.
    That seems odd, since MMS absolutely needs data service, being IP based. Sounds more like a hand off issue, but I don't question what you report. I'm liking Google Voice on Straight Talk/AT&T with forwarding turned off everywhere and GV on the phone preferring wifi and data. Functions well, and there's no question of the carrier's voice mail suddenly jumping in front of mine and such nonsense from MVNOs losing access to base carrier features. The carrier number system is such a weird clone of the old DC continuity based PSTN that it has become archaic.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Wow. We use several thousand a month.
    Most of my android friends are on WhatsApp or Telegram due to SMS being garbage for group chat situations and being so limited, the others are on iMessage (getting an iPhone user to download Telegram is like pulling teeth otherwise i'd use it for everything, but some do it)
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Feedback Score
    I have never had an issue with WiFi calling. For me it works fine. I had a couple of instances where it really shined. Once instance we were at a family event in North Carolina (wedding), the town we were all staying in was small and out of the way and it was an absolute black hole for cell service on any carrier (zero signal). However the Bed & Breakfast had WiFi, and when I joined it, WiFi calling kicked in instantly and I was able to make phone calls and text all around the entire property (outside and inside) just as if I was using Cellular, had zero issues with it. The other instance I didn't even know I was using it because I leave WiFi enabled on my iPhone all the time. Over a holiday weekend (4th of July) a couple of years ago, I was at home watching a movie (took the day off from work before the weekend) and my wife calls me on my cell phone from her office telling me her cell phone didn't work. To make a long story short, there was a major fiber back bone that was cut in our small area of the county, which affected all the cell carriers. And when that happened I had no idea at home because my phone kicked over to WiFi calling and I had been calling and texting all day just fine. I walked my Wife through enabling WiFi calling on her cell phone and then she had service at work. So we just leave it enabled all the time on our cell phones (iPhones) and really don't pay much attention to if it is on our not, for us and my experience, it works pretty good, even in instances with zero cell signal like I mentioned in my examples.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    bumping this thread

i have an android phone with verizon, zero issue with wifi calling

my other half has an iphone with at&t, wifi calling is a misery

on android, i can select wifi calling as my preference. there is no such setting on at&t. i dont know if its apple or at&t, but they think they can decide what is best, and her phone rarely hands off to wifi calling even when there is little-to-no signal, and a reliable phone call cannot be placed or received over cellular.

well now there is major storm damage, my other half is a first responder, on call, i told her to switch to firstnet but she didnt, and her phone doesnt want to do wifi calling when the tower is down / overloaded. i dont even know if firstnet would solve the problem to be honest. we have a reliable (for now) backup internet system that prioritizes wifi calling and has redundancies and she just wants to be able to take advantage of it for wifi calling.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterym View Post
    bumping this thread

on android, i can select wifi calling as my preference. there is no such setting on at&t. i dont know if its apple or at&t, but they think they can decide what is best, and her phone rarely hands off to wifi calling even when there is little-to-no signal, and a reliable phone call cannot be placed or received over cellular.

well now there is major storm damage, my other half is a first responder, on call, i told her to switch to firstnet but she didnt, and her phone doesnt want to do wifi calling when the tower is down / overloaded. i dont even know if firstnet would solve the problem to be honest. we have a reliable (for now) backup internet system that prioritizes wifi calling and has redundancies and she just wants to be able to take advantage of it for wifi calling.
    I have no problems with calls on wifi handing off in either direction. MMS gets wonky though.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterym View Post
    bumping this thread

As an iPhone die hard, I will admit the wifi antenna on the iPhone (I've got an 11 Pro max) is noticeably worse than my Note 9 and OnePlus8. I assume they also used the Intel radio to handle the wifi as well, and it shows.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    As an iPhone die hard, I will admit the wifi antenna on the iPhone (I've got an 11 Pro max) is noticeably worse than my Note 9 and OnePlus8. I assume they also used the Intel radio to handle the wifi as well, and it shows.
    In all honesty I never really had a problem with Wi-Fi calling on my Intel Max.
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    In all honesty I never really had a problem with Wi-Fi calling on my Intel Max.
    I have not have had "issues" per se, but there's a large noticeable difference.. especially on the fringe of my WiFi network.

I can imagine if someone is running a single-router setup like most people do, it'll be choppier/worse than a phone with a Qualcomm chipset.

my iPhone even regularly likes to camp on my 2.4GHz network in places 5GHz works just fine. It's just odd, the XS Max on the account does the same thing, in spots my OnePlus is getting 500-600Mbps from the WiFi network. either apple has the parameters tuned incorrectly, or the antenna design is *that* bad.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Is WiFi calling reliable on AT&T?

I have not have had "issues" per se, but there's a large noticeable difference.. especially on the fringe of my WiFi network.

I can imagine if someone is running a single-router setup like most people do, it'll be choppier/worse than a phone with a Qualcomm chipset.

my iPhone even regularly likes to camp on my 2.4GHz network in places 5GHz works just fine. It's just odd, the XS Max on the account does the same thing, in spots my OnePlus is getting 500-600Mbps from the WiFi network. either apple has the parameters tuned incorrectly, or the antenna design is *that* bad.
    I don’t doubt your issues. I bought a higher end netgear router a few years back and that could be the reason why WiFi works good for me. it also doesn’t hurt that I have a 300 MB connection from Comcast as well.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    I don’t doubt your issues. I bought a higher end netgear router a few years back and that could be the reason why WiFi works good for me. it also doesn’t hurt that I have a 300 MB connection from Comcast as well.
    I've got gigabit, have used a Nighthawk AX router (currently using), used Google WiFi Mesh (probably the most stable one to date - LTE CBRS took it out for my use thanks to a rooftop LTE site next door though, thanks to a bad design from Google using only TWO 5GHz channels)

Oddly enough, I have far more issues from the Nighthawk than I did from the AC867 mesh system I had, as Netgear likes to push devices down to 2.4GHz.. this is the first router I've had in years i've needed to separate the networks - this router most likely will not stay long term honestly.

This is not a thing i've just noticed at home either, even out/about carrying both devices I can duplicate it. Apple just screwed this up as much as I hate to admit it, and it's something you really do not notice until you have a device with a better WiFi radio/antenna to test it against.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I've got gigabit, have used a Nighthawk AX router (currently using), used Google WiFi Mesh (probably the most stable one to date - LTE CBRS took it out for my use thanks to a rooftop LTE site next door though, thanks to a bad design from Google using only TWO 5GHz channels)

Oddly enough, I have far more issues from the Nighthawk than I did from the AC867 mesh system I had, as Netgear likes to push devices down to 2.4GHz.. this is the first router I've had in years i've needed to separate the networks - this router most likely will not stay long term honestly.

This is not a thing i've just noticed at home either, even out/about carrying both devices I can duplicate it. Apple just screwed this up as much as I hate to admit it, and it's something you really do not notice until you have a device with a better WiFi radio/antenna to test it against.
    I actually have the Night Hawk with a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio in it. I bought it back in 2018.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro, Galaxy S10e
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Apple uses their own Wi-FI SoC, which iFixit calls the "Apple/USI 339S00648 WiFi/Bluetooth SoC".

I bought a Nighthawk about a month ago to replace my Nest Wi-Fi (Google Wi-Fi's newer model) and ended up returning it. The reliability on that thing was atrocious, and not just on Apple devices. Between my MBP 2020, iPad Pro 2020, iPhone 11 Pro, Apple TV 4K, Xbox One S, Galaxy S10e, my roommate's MacBook Air, iPhone 11, iPhone XR, a desktop gaming PC, and Microsoft Surface Laptop 2... we saw frequent disconnects and random ping spikes to the point where even they were complaining, and they're not "techie" people. Also, how does CBRS affect your Wi-Fi? Do you mean LAA?

Chicago, IL‎ ----------------------------------------------------‎ ‎Duluth, MN
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL) ---------------- 4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Apple uses their own Wi-FI SoC, which iFixit calls the "Apple/USI 339S00648 WiFi/Bluetooth SoC".

I bought a Nighthawk about a month ago to replace my Nest Wi-Fi (Google Wi-Fi's newer model) and ended up returning it. The reliability on that thing was atrocious, and not just on Apple devices. Between my MBP 2020, iPad Pro 2020, iPhone 11 Pro, Apple TV 4K, Xbox One S, Galaxy S10e, my roommate's MacBook Air, iPhone 11, iPhone XR, a desktop gaming PC, and Microsoft Surface Laptop 2... we saw frequent disconnects and random ping spikes to the point where even they were complaining, and they're not "techie" people. Also, how does CBRS affect your Wi-Fi? Do you mean LAA?
    Yeah... LAA is what I meant, my Google WiFi happened to only be programmed to use the two channels T-Mobile and Verizon and pushing off a rooftop site next door.

My indoor speed was ~300Mbps from the Google WiFi (down from it’s regular ~550Mbps before) and once I stepped on my balcony it would just die completely. This nighthawk in a central location has been “fine” once I separated the networks.. but it’ll get returned for sure as the software is absolutely wonky on it

I just cannot believe Google was that shortsighted in the design, that baffles my mind.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    wi-fi calling seems reliable to me on my iPhones. But generally not required. I'm not sure whether it defaults to Wi-Fi calling at home or not. I wouldn't, if possible, have a phone carrier that requires wi-fi calling at home if I have other options, since what if the internet or power is out?
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast