Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Really bad service in Northern Georgia

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Really bad service in Northern Georgia

For the Thanksgiving holiday, we went to the mountains of GA, near Helen. The signal indicators on our iPhones (Xr and 11 Pro) showed we had what should be sufficient signal to do things like make calls and light web browsing, but we had dropped calls with 2-3 bars showing and speed tests while noting websites not loading showed results in the Kilobits per second. Lot of times the test couldn't complete. The fastest I was able to get to finish was 1.44/0.422 Mbps. Is this normal? Generally, we have really good performance with AT&T if there is signal, and, given BellSouth used to be headquartered in Atlanta, I would have expected good service in GA in general. I wondered if maybe they were working on the network there or something. I "marked the spot" in several locations that were just terrible for whatever that is worth.
    Durham, NC

Feedback Score
    I live in California and same in the mountains here. At&t shows "bars" but nothing works . Heck I was shocked my aunt on tmobile had working service now that was shocking!!!!! Tmobile was working fine no dropped calls and ok data speed about 5 mbps . I have Verizon and and At&t work phone . Verizon was working fine also just like tmobile. Only At&t was the one that wasnt working at all .

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Terrain, trees, tall buildings can negatively affect coverage for voice/data. Nothing new here. The coverage maps only estimate actual coverage/usage. There are no guarantees and the fine print on those maps clearly discloses that. Keep in mind that not all towers are shared by all carriers in all places. Sorry to hear of your experiences.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Sure. In the mountains, I would expect some issues, but it was just as bad in town (Helen), if not worse.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I have traveled through Helen with my Verizon and Sprint phones and experienced spotty coverage there in various areas. I never traveled there with my prior At&t phone almost 12 years ago so I don't have any experience with them in that area. I travel to that area almost every year for about 10 years. I know many areas there where there is minimal or absolutely no cellular coverage. In some of those areas there are federal parks where cellular towers are difficult to permit or where the terrain limits where towers can be placed.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Honestly, Verizon works better in Helen, but as VerizTD stated, it’s even spotty through that area. Even Southern LINC is sketchy there and they cover most of GA well. It’s just a low priority area for the carriers honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The Georgia AT shuttle drivers recommend Verizon as the carrier with the best coverage in the mountains.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    I have a similar problem living in Roswell cause my house sits in a valley. There are plenty of towers around. It turned out with several weak signals, my phone constantly switched between them giving me choppy service. I changed my settings to 3G only and got improved phone calls with no break up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by envsys View Post
    I have a similar problem living in Roswell cause my house sits in a valley. There are plenty of towers around. It turned out with several weak signals, my phone constantly switched between them giving me choppy service. I changed my settings to 3G only and got improved phone calls with no break up.
    enjoy 3G while you can, because AT&T will be shutting that down soon.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Maybe in a few years, but I don't recall them making such an announcement. We can only speculate when that might happen. No need for anyone to rush out to get a new phone on At&t yet.

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the links, but as I stated before I read the article, At&t won't be shutting 3G down for a few years.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The amount of sites T is adding in the next two years will help fill in some of those areas. Hopefully they can get it done by then. I'm not sure about down in Georgia, but here in NY, the state firstnet site stated that they're building out 500 sites statewide in the next two years.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I actually have a new phone with band 14 so I no longer need to have the 3G setting. I used LTE Discovery for a few weeks with the new phone and found a fair amount of band 14 availability. The use of 3G for those without a newer phone is there for those who need it. Besides two years is a lifetime in phone years.

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    This is going to sound biased, but get off AT&T at the first opportunity you can. Randall doesn't care about wireless and AT&T ALWAYS will do "just enough" to say they're competing.

At least Verizon will actually do what they say (from self applied pressure).

AT&T is more concerned about selling you satellite TV you don't want lol.

Too, the service is probably oversold/overloaded from that being a legacy AT&T market.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast