Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: RedPocket on AT&T network - no MMS on iPhones?

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Take the working Verizon sim card out of your phone and put it into the phone in question.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket / Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Looks like MMS on AT&T's network using iPhones is now possible . . . if you have a 6s or newer.

https://help.goredpocket.com/hc/en-u...-GSMA-network-
    Can I use picture messaging on my iPhone with the GSMA network?

Yes! For the GSMA network, just make sure your GSMA iPhone is running iOS operating system 13.3 or better. The oldest devices that can accept this iOS update are the iPhone 6s and the iPhone SE.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I had it working before using a downloaded profile I modified based on instructions I found. I erased that profile and downloaded the new one and it works. Helps to have an Android phone on a backup line where I can test out these features.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket / Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Since the iPhone 6 Plus isn't getting IOS13 (and thus no MMS on GSM networks), I checked to see if Red Pocket would activate this phone on the CDMA network.

Using their site: https://myeasyactivation.com/#check-compatibility, when I enter the IMEI, the result is
    CDMAV: device can be activated in 3G mode
    I tried asking RP chat, but they didn't seem knowledgeable and just said phone may not be fully compatible with CDMA network (based on the website compatibility result I conveyed to them).

When I put my RP CDMA sim in the phone, at the top of the phone I see "Verizon" and the signal bars and "LTE" (doesn't show "4G" as my Android phone does, but I'm guessing that's an iPhone thing to show "LTE" instead of "4G"?). So that means 4G service, correct? I checked Speedtest (with wifi disabled) and I'm getting 18Mbps down and 7Mbps up.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by serpico7100t View Post
    Since the iPhone 6 Plus isn't getting IOS13 (and thus no MMS on GSM networks), I checked to see if Red Pocket would activate this phone on the CDMA network.

Using their site: https://myeasyactivation.com/#check-compatibility, when I enter the IMEI, the result is

I tried asking RP chat, but they didn't seem knowledgeable and just said phone may not be fully compatible with CDMA network (based on the website compatibility result I conveyed to them).

When I put my RP CDMA sim in the phone, at the top of the phone I see "Verizon" and the signal bars and "LTE". So that means 4G service, correct?
    That’s odd. If it was 3G compatible only that would mean its 100% compatible with cdma lol. If it didn’t support 3G then it wouldn’t be compatible with CDMA. As the 3G network IS CDMA.

Yes LTE is “4G”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket / Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    That’s odd. If it was 3G compatible only that would mean its 100% compatible with cdma lol. If it didn’t support 3G then it wouldn’t be compatible with CDMA. As the 3G network IS CDMA.

Yes LTE is “4G”
    Thanks. I guess I'll try with a $5/30-day plan with sim and see if it works. If it does, I'll port the phone number. Near the end of the 30 days, can I just buy a 12-mo plan on ebay and discard the sim that comes with it?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Yes LTE is “4G”
    I don't know if I totally agree with this. Cdma is considered 3G, on verizon (and sprint?) lte can be considered 4g. On gsm however, 3g is 3g, 4g is hspa, and lte is lte. Confusing isn't it! I can't remember if it was tmobile of att that came up with the 4g =hspa, but the marketing folk really likes to keep the public confused.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score

RedPocket on AT&T network - no MMS on iPhones?

Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    I don't know if I totally agree with this. Cdma is considered 3G, on verizon (and sprint?) lte can be considered 4g. On gsm however, 3g is 3g, 4g is hspa, and lte is lte. Confusing isn't it! I can't remember if it was tmobile of att that came up with the 4g =hspa, but the marketing folk really likes to keep the public confused.
    The “4G” thing was either atts or T-Mobile’s fault. Forgot which one was first. Im pretty sure it was AT&T.

LTE is only really considered 4G outside of the US mostly European countries.

Like using esim can be confusing. Using a foreign esim that roams on T-Mobile when it shows “4G” it’s actually on LTE. But when on actual T-Mobile if it shows “4G” your on HSPA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Apple has confused people with having phone models that didn't support CDMA (such as the 7/7+) so for an older phone, they may not want to go out on a limb and say it is supported.

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket / Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Apple has confused people with having phone models that didn't support CDMA (such as the 7/7+) so for an older phone, they may not want to go out on a limb and say it is supported.
    I didn't realize they reverted in subsequent models. Anyway, since the iPhone 6 Plus (originally on AT&T) shows Verizon LTE when I pop in my RedPocket CDMA sim, I went ahead and ordered a $5/30-day sim+plan to test it out.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The legacy GSM companies' (AT&T and T-Mobile) use of the term 4G for HSPA/HSPA+ was always a marketing fudge on their part. It was used just because the speeds available were higher, and they wanted to impress their uninformed customers. HSPA/+ was/is an enhanced 3G technology.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by serpico7100t View Post
    Looks like MMS on AT&T's network using iPhones is now possible . . . if you have a 6s or newer.

https://help.goredpocket.com/hc/en-u...-GSMA-network-
    I went testing today since I had seem reports that VoLTE is starting to be supported (though only on some Android phones from what I read). I deleted my profile, rebooted, and noticed that MMS worked (testing to another RP line running a Moto G5+ on CDMAV, so no iMessage).

I then noticed that with a test call it remained on LTE. I then even went further and enabled Wi-Fi calling.

Visual Voicemail is still not enabled. I may have to chat for that. This is my backup phone that people don't call me on, so isn't too critical yet. I may just wait until everything is "official".

I also noticed that the account page online has the wrong Device ID and SIM for me. I think those are probably the SIM and device I used when I first ported this number to RP (at the time, the CDMA network with a Moto G5+). I don't know whether having those incorrect settings help or hurt me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I also noticed that the account page online has the wrong Device ID and SIM for me. I think those are probably the SIM and device I used when I first ported this number to RP (at the time, the CDMA network with a Moto G5+). I don't know whether having those incorrect settings help or hurt me.
    My SIM and Device ID are wrong on both my phones in my Red Pocket account. I did a live chat, because even though there is an edit button, it doesn't work and doesn't update the info. The agent looked at my account and he saw the correct SIM on his end. Basically he said to ignore the SIM and Device ID on display in the account.

Feedback Score
    This morning when I checked my Red Pocket account, I noticed that the SIM is now correct on both my phones. The Device ID is blank for both, but that is fine with me. They must have fixed the problem in the back end recently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2