Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T data running out very quickly

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T data running out very quickly

I have switched to ATT recently and have noticed that my data is getting over much faster. My usage is really not much different from prior Verizon prepaid but while with Verizon I would use 3-4 gb in one month, with AT&T I have already used 2.5 gb in 2 weeks. Reception is slightly better with att but not sure it would amount for that much data.

Anybody else has noticed it? My cellphone is showing 5GE as speed

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dollar500 View Post
    I have switched to ATT recently and have noticed that my data is getting over much faster. My usage is really not much different from prior Verizon prepaid but while with Verizon I would use 3-4 gb in one month, with AT&T I have already used 2.5 gb in 2 weeks. Reception is slightly better with att but not sure it would amount for that much data.

Anybody else has noticed it? My cellphone is showing 5GE as speed

Do you watch a lot of videos? By default, video throttling is disabled whereas on Verizon it's enabled... You can turn it on in your web portal.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    - If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people in the world?

Current Personal Phone: Google Pixel 3a XL (AT&T PrePaid)

Other phones "in the family": Nokia 6.1 (AT&T), Huawei P20

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    Do you watch a lot of videos? By default, video throttling is disabled whereas on Verizon it's enabled... You can turn it on in your web portal.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    About 10 min of video, stream saver is on on the website

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    BTW: 5GE will only show up on the At&t network and is a bit of a lie as it is really a 4G VOLTE connection.

What phone were you using on postpaid vs. prepaid ? Do you have a new phone ? You can always turn on WiFi to limit your data usage over the cellular network. Do you listen to music on your phone ?
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    BTW: 5GE will only show up on the At&t network and is a bit of a lie as it is really a 4G VOLTE connection.

What phone were you using on postpaid vs. prepaid ? Do you have a new phone ? You can always turn on WiFi to limit your data usage over the cellular network. Do you listen to music on your phone ?
    Basically same phone and same data usage pattern I have iPhone and listen to streaming music sometimes. I always use WiFi whenever I get it. By the way it is not prepaid vs postpaid it is is att prepaid vs Verizon prepaid

Feedback Score
    Basically same phone and same data usage pattern I have iPhone and listen to streaming music sometimes. I always use WiFi whenever I get it. By the way it is not prepaid vs postpaid it is is att prepaid vs Verizon prepaid Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    try checking all of your apps to be sure none are using data in the background also turn off mobile data until you need to use it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Basically same phone and same data usage pattern I have iPhone and listen to streaming music sometimes. I always use WiFi whenever I get it. By the way it is not prepaid vs postpaid it is is att prepaid vs Verizon prepaid

Have you looked at what apps are using data according to your iPhone?

Settings -> Cellular

Scroll down to see which apps are using how much data. If you scroll all the way down, you can reset the stats to see what is using data going forward.
    Durham, NC

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I’d also suggest checking your video data. Verizon was throttling my video. When I went to AT&T I turned off the stream saver. While I had much better video it just ate up my monthly allotment due to the higher resolution.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    I’d also suggest checking your video data. Verizon was throttling my video. When I went to AT&T I turned off the stream saver. While I had much better video it just ate up my monthly allotment due to the higher resolution.
    As I said my data usage has unchanged. It just seems ATT data usage is multiple times faster than Verizon prepaid

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    As I found it hard to actually use any data while on Verizon Prepaid, it wouldn't surprise me that AT&T users use more data, but I assumed that was just a local thing where I live.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I've seen weirdness before. For a year I did the $10/5GB plan on T-Mobile prepaid (iPad plan). For some reason, sometimes the iPad would seemingly of its own accord just go through the data fast. One month I went through 10GB in under 20 days. I didn't think I did anything different.

Due to the uncertainty, and some issues at times renewing my plan when it went over, I switched back to ATT's $35/month plan. I don't see this unexpected usage there.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I've seen weirdness before. For a year I did the $10/5GB plan on T-Mobile prepaid (iPad plan). For some reason, sometimes the iPad would seemingly of its own accord just go through the data fast. One month I went through 10GB in under 20 days. I didn't think I did anything different.

Due to the uncertainty, and some issues at times renewing my plan when it went over, I switched back to ATT's $35/month plan. I don't see this unexpected usage there.
    Glad to see somebody else went through this too. I was almost loosing my mind

Feedback Score
    If at&t works in your area get the data connect pass and pop the sim into a jetpack

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Glad to see somebody else went through this too. I was almost loosing my mind

Did you ever check to see what apps are using data in the instructions I provided in the earlier post? This should not be a mystery.

Feedback Score
    FWIW I switched from Verizon prepaid to ATT prepaid a few months ago. I had VZW prepaid for 3 years before that. I have not noticed significant differences in data usage before / after switch, except I have much more usable data on ATT vs VZW.

Exact same device, exact same usage pattern, but far less to zero throttling on ATT prepaid vs VZW prepaid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast