Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FCC finds T-Mobile, Verizon, and U.S. Cellular overstate their coverage maps

Feedback Score

FCC finds T-Mobile, Verizon, and U.S. Cellular overstate their coverage maps

Feedback Score
    UPDATE: T-Mobile gave us the following statement regarding the FCC’s report:

“We stand behind our network coverage and all of our maps, but agree with the FCC that there is an opportunity to improve their procedures for collection of broadband coverage data for the Mobility Fund maps. We look forward to working with them and Congress to revamp the process.”

https://www.tmonews.com/2019/12/fcc-...coverage-maps/

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Not surprised by the results, but kinda surprised the FCC entertained the claims of the Rural Wireless Association. This instance of FCC is not very considerate of smaller carriers and their lobbying groups lately.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Everyone needs to understand that this is a discussion of FCC Form 477 filings, which the carriers certify as being correct. Not the maps they show their customers.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    Not surprised by the results, but kinda surprised the FCC entertained the claims of the Rural Wireless Association. This instance of FCC is not very considerate of smaller carriers and their lobbying groups lately.

Aren’t they one of the groups in staunch opposition to the merger?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Everyone needs to understand that this is a discussion of FCC Form 477 filings, which the carriers certify as being correct. Not the maps they show their customers.
    I understand this, and I even read through much of the report already. It doesn't really change my comments.

Customer maps are always an exaggeration, but it's still funny when the carriers get called out even after providing technically-correct information to the FCC. I found the use of external reports to help challenge the carrier-provided info interesting. That really should be happening more often. This instance of the FCC prefers a hands off approach to regulation.

Rural areas, while they may be easier to deal with, still has variables that carriers somehow ignore or underestimate. This report helps show this is a valid concern.

Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Aren’t they one of the groups in staunch opposition to the merger?
    Yes, they are.

Feedback Score
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/regul...-coverage-maps

None of the carriers will be punished, as technically they broke no rules, the fund though will be scrapped.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Helps explain why cell service in the us sucks compared to most other countries

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    At least Verizon Wireless was accurate up in Crystal Lake, CA. No service on my Samsung Galaxy 8 with Verizon on CA 39. Their map says there's coverage if I start climbing up the mountains, but I'm not that desperate to be reached. AT&T in the same spot was a different story since they mention that there is "Other AT&T coverage", which I didn't see any and coverage was spotty in Asuza.

What the FCC should do is require participants for these grants to produce accurate maps of the areas they use the funds for build outs and perform audits. Not tying conditions to access to the pot of money and reports after the fact is just another handout to companies to make billions.

If wireless carriers want to build networks in rural areas without producing the accurate maps then they can do so with their own money. If they want to use money allocated from the Federal Government then there should be strings attached.

Device(s)
    Motorola Z3, Motorola G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It seems to be Verizon understates the maps, as there are areas where it will show no service, and i'll be able to pick up a bar or 2 on either 3G or LTE, ATT seems right on, and T-mobile is the worst offender with showing coverage, and there is none to be found.
    Motorola Z3 on the Verizon Network

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    Helps explain why cell service in the us sucks compared to most other countries
    Please name a few of those countries with a similar size of the US. The US is a much bigger country than European countries, most Asian, African and most of the Americas. Better coverage means many more towers which are not cheap to build/maintain/update. At what price point would the average US citizen would be willing to pay more for more/better coverage ? The sheer amount of towers required would be astronomical.

In a perfect world, the US would already have fully deployed 5G on all carriers for 100% of the country for 100% or all customers on every cellular network, then again there is reality.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Please name a few of those countries with a similar size of the US.
    Canada
    I've often complained about voice quality / data speeds while visiting the US
    Its better to just keep a Canadian SIM on roaming vs buying a US SIM (although AT&T certainly had better service and customer service than TMo did in my exp)
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

FCC finds T-Mobile, Verizon, and U.S. Cellular overstate their coverage maps

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Canada
    Its better to just keep a Canadian SIM on roaming vs buying a US SIM (although AT&T certainly had better service and customer service than TMo did in my exp)
    Our carriers have cheaper plans with truly unlimited data and a boat load of MVNOs with even cheaper plans. We don’t have to worry about how much data we use or how much we pay so it’s only natural we’d have a greater load on our networks. As far as voice quality our carriers offer HD voice or EVS which offers even higher quality.

I can walk into a cricket store now and bring my own phone and walkout with unlimited talk (HD voice), text, and data for $40 with no 512kbps throttle and true nationwide coverage.

Sent from my iPhone 11

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Canada
    Not even a close comparison. I was replying to another member. I am referring mostly to Europe, Asia and South and Central America. I agree that Canada is comparable in size and only that.

Are you saying that Canada has full coverage and good voice quality for the entire country. There are a lot of areas in N. Canada with nothing but snow and/or forests (very few/if any local residents). Are you stating they have the same coverage ?

Feedback Score
    Not surprising. I remember the old tmobile coverage maps, and thought they were more honest in that they used to have gradients of poor/good/better/best coverage. Now its just a swath of pink everywhere. Basically all these companies exaggerate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast