Thread: Help with non-ringing phone

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    TF Verizon
    Feedback Score

Help with non-ringing phone

I now realize (duh) that my Galaxy S5 hasn't been ringing on incoming calls for quite some time. No ring and caller goes to voicemail after just a few virtual rings. I'd appreciate advice on what might be causing this. Airplane mode off, sound is on, ringtone is set and on max volume, sound mode is sound, and do not disturb is off. I also have vibrate when ringing on and phone doesn't vibrate either. Thanks!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    TF Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Never mind - restarting the phone restored the ring. But this issue has been going on for a while and I notice slow performance on the S5. Probably time for a new phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry.user View Post
    Never mind - restarting the phone restored the ring. But this issue has been going on for a while and I notice slow performance on the S5. Probably time for a new phone.
    A Friend's S5 is going through similar problems. Sometimes can't dial out, or receive calls, or hangs up in the middle of a call. Restart will cure it, but it soon comes back. He tried Settings > Reset settings, but it did not help long. Settings > Factory data reset might be more effective, but you loose everything you put on the phone.

Yep, likely time to replace.

Feedback Score
    Glad you're sorted.

Reminds me of others though who resist rebooting their devices. Like there's a continuous uptime competition or something.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have seen this issue every once in a while. Not sure what is completely causing this, but I did track it down to something to do with VoLTE and CDMA. A few months ago, I was getting it more often then not, and I was playing with the VoLTE switch. With VoLTE enable, i was seeing this, but without VoLTE, I did not see this at all.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    TF Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses! One other cardinal symptom is my S5 really suffers immensely when I try to run Android Auto on it in my '19 Subaru. Totally unworkable in that regard.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry.user View Post
    Thanks for the responses! One other cardinal symptom is my S5 really suffers immensely when I try to run Android Auto on it in my '19 Subaru. Totally unworkable in that regard.
    Try clearing all cached data. The S5 seems to be prone to loading up it's storage pretty rapidly. Settings > Storage > Cached data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Glad you're sorted.

Reminds me of others though who resist rebooting their devices. Like there's a continuous uptime competition or something.
    Probably the same people who go flying through red lights cause they just don't want to wait the 60-90 seconds it will take to get the next green light.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Try clearing all cached data. The S5 seems to be prone to loading up it's storage pretty rapidly. Settings > Storage > Cached data.
    That would be a good thing to try. It doesn't clear anything you need.

If clearing cache doesn't work, I would do a factory reset without app and settings backup and reinstall only the apps I actually use. It's a PITA to reinstall apps, configure them and configure the phone again, but has made long-used phones operate correctly again for me.