Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shattered - scratches

Feedback Score

Shattered - scratches

From less than 2' high , shattered the screen of Iphone ...
    It's still fully functional but doesn't look that good.
    Any idea how easy/hard to replace it with a $20 kit from eBay?

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by meetoo88; 12-05-2019 at 06:30 AM.

Feedback Score
    On a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is brain surgery. If you have no experience & no specialized tools & environment it'll be an 8. If you have the experience, tools & clean space it's a 4. The tools included in these kits if any are inferior & insufficient to do the job cleanly or at all.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I wonder how much a screen glass replacement is at a typical neighborhood cell phone shop, or a place like Batteries + Bulbs (they'd be more since they're national)?

I'll bet a typical repair tech does an awful lot of these (especially for iPhones) and can do it pretty fast.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I wonder how much a screen glass replacement is at a typical neighborhood cell phone shop, or a place like Batteries + Bulbs (they'd be more since they're national)?
    About 2 years ago, I bought an open-box LG G3 and cracked the underlayer of the screen while installing a case (pressed too hard on a corner). I called a local shop and they wanted $50 for labor to replace the screen. However, all the after-market screens for the G3 have a lower resolution than the original, so I didn't pursue that.

Feedback Score
    I replaced the screen on an iPad about five years ago using a Youtube tutorial. It was difficult, time consuming and results were less than satisfactory. Wouldn't do it again.

Device(s)
    TF iPhone SE, Tracfone Samsung Galaxy S7, TF iPhone 6S, TF Luna Pro
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score

I'll bet a typical repair tech does an awful lot of these (especially for iPhones) and can do it pretty fast.
    Probably best bet. Here in NYC for example there are many places that do it in 25 minutes or less and will warranty it for a year. Price depends on what exactly needs replacing.. how deep the damage extends but looks to be in $50 range...Might be possible to get cheaper.. Yelp can probably offer leads.

Not mentioned if done in first post but always good idea to put phone in case asap in my experience. I usually get the soft clear TPU cases from Amazon.. these are very thin and add little bulk ..they run like $5. I've never dropped my iPhone 6s but my iPhone SE has taken a tumble or two from a lot more than 2 feet and no issues. A friends Samsung Luna pro also survived a pretty harrowing fall with no bad result. I'm sure luck is a factor with these accident events in terms of outcome but the cases do seem to help even if they just stop scratches and scuffs etc.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lappers View Post
    I've never dropped my iPhone 6s but my iPhone SE has taken a tumble or two from a lot more than 2 feet and no issues. A friends Samsung Luna pro also survived a pretty harrowing fall with no bad result.
    I had an ASUS tablet that no longer booted up. Last month I decided to throw it away. I wanted to smash the screen so nobody would want to try and revive it. I laid the tablet on a concrete floor and whacked at the screen a few times with the flat side of a hammer head but it didn't break. Once I turned the hammer over to the ball-peen side and whacked harder, it finally cracked. I was surprised at how tough it was.

Feedback Score
    My response is completely off topic but your example reminds me of the Tesla CyberTruck window breaking during the media show.

From what I have read about that the window and door of the truck had taken lots of hits before the media show and had not broken.

When it mattered during the media show of course it broke.
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I had an ASUS tablet that no longer booted up. Last month I decided to throw it away. I wanted to smash the screen so nobody would want to try and revive it. I laid the tablet on a concrete floor and whacked at the screen a few times with the flat side of a hammer head but it didn't break. Once I turned the hammer over to the ball-peen side and whacked harder, it finally cracked. I was surprised at how tough it was.
    Sent from my Luscious LG Fiesta 2

Feedback Score

Thanks everybody...

Too bad; I ordered a cover Monday... which will be delivered tomorrow !

I checked how much it would cost sending it back to Apple, and it's staggering for a $59 refurbished Iphone 6S:

"You'll pay $129 for a broken iPhone 6S screen. If you can't get to an Apple store, you can mail your device in to Apple for a shipping fee of $6.95"

I think I will use it/keep it in the car, and wait for the next sale by TF, and buy 2 iPhone 6s for that screen cost (next BF... or sooner maybe).

Last edited by meetoo88; 12-05-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Feedback Score

$70-$90 for an iPhone 6s in my area. It's the Samsungs that get expensive. Lots of places here do iPhone screens, as there are so many of them.

Feedback Score

Why do iPhone screens break easily?

Why do iPhone screens break easily?

"
    Phones with metal/glass bezels have no shock absorption at all, and the tension caused when dropped in the wrong way can cause the glass to shatter, even when dropped from just a few feet (like a desk). This is the main physical design issue with iPhone. A plastic body would bend to absorb the chock."

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Going to Apple for a screen repair (at least just glass cover cracks with a working display and digitizer) is like going to a car dealer to change out the air filter. You'll be gouged!

There are plenty of aftermarket repair places that do a commendable job with repairs like this, for under $100.

Feedback Score
    This is why I always buy a case & glass screen protectors for any phones I buy. Cheap insurance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyT View Post
    This is why I always buy a case & glass screen protectors for any phones I buy. Cheap insurance.
    I don't think glass screen protectors prevent glass from shattering, when the screen is the one that hits the ground... and I did not have a case/cover (ordered but not yet delivered !).
    And above all, steel body and bezel do not absorb some of the choc like plastic do!

Device(s)
    TF iPhone SE, Tracfone Samsung Galaxy S7, TF iPhone 6S, TF Luna Pro
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I usually don't use screen protectors just a cheap TPU case. My iPhone SE fell and hit face first on a hard floor from about 5 feet up when visiting doctor recently. Slap! I believe the slightly extended lip of the case on the edges took the brunt of the hit. Phone was fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast