Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 22 of 22

Thread: Shattered - scratches

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,962
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by meetoo88 View Post
    I don't think glass screen protectors prevent glass from shattering, when the screen is the one that hits the ground... and I did not have a case/cover (ordered but not yet delivered !). And above all, steel body and bezel do not absorb some of the choc like plastic do!
    watch a few youtube videos on iphone screen repair - https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...en+replacement

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,980
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    My Moto E4 took a flight out of my hand at Lowe's earlier this week from about 4 feet high. Luckily, it has the cheapest TPU case that was available when I bought it, but no screen protector. Fortunately (I guess), it landed flat on the concrete floor on it's face. As lappers described above, it was probably the 1/32" lip on the front of the TPU case that saved the screen.

    But, if I was using a higher value phone, I'd probably be using a better case and a screen protector!

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    339
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by meetoo88 View Post
    I don't think glass screen protectors prevent glass from shattering, when the screen is the one that hits the ground... and I did not have a case/cover (ordered but not yet delivered !).
    And above all, steel body and bezel do not absorb some of the choc like plastic do!
    You don't think a glass screen protector would have helped in this situation & I'm not going to say it definitely would have prevented your screen from damage. (although I think it would have) Neither one of us knows with 100% certainty, but for the few bucks the screen protectors cost, I'll put them on every time. (& use a case) Just my $.02.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    BFE
    Posts
    8,449
    Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyT View Post
    I'm not going to say it definitely would have prevented your screen from damage. (although I think it would have) Neither one of us knows with 100% certainty, but for the few bucks the screen protectors cost, I'll put them on every time. (& use a case) Just my $.02.
    Me too.

    The science is sound (spreads force, takes hit) and I've seen a few falls that broke the protector instead if the screen. I've not personally seen both break (nor the screen and not the protector).

  5. #20
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,179
    Feedback Score
    0
    .

    I only used a glass screen protector on the 1st cell phone about 17 years ago... and didn't like the scratchy look of it after a few weeks.

    This time it was mostly the lack of a cover (ordered and not yet delivered)... and the steel shell/bezel which don't absorb (some of) the shock like plastic does.
    I would be extremely upset if I had paid full commercial price ($450?) ... but it's just $50 (after $25 coupon code+$5 Rakuten pay back).

    .

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    BFE
    Posts
    8,449
    Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by meetoo88 View Post
    I only used a glass screen protector on the 1st cell phone about 17 years ago... and didn't like the scratchy look of it after a few weeks.
    I don't recall tempered glass protectors back then.

    I didn't have scratches on my last one after 1.5 yrs. Even my kids, who keep breaking them, aren't having issues with scratches.

    Mt only complaint is the oleophobic coatings aren't great and mine needs cleaning more than the bare screen.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    339
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I don't recall tempered glass protectors back then.

    I didn't have scratches on my last one after 1.5 yrs. Even my kids, who keep breaking them, aren't having issues with scratches.

    Mt only complaint is the oleophobic coatings aren't great and mine needs cleaning more than the bare screen.

    Same here. Never a scratch on any of the glass protectors I've used over the years. But I have noticed the same thing in regards to keeping them clean. Not a biggie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Scratches on S40 screen
    By cake in forum Siemens
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-10-2003, 12:07 AM
  2. Scratched/Dirty 8260 display window
    By DaKine911 in forum Nokia
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-09-2001, 06:29 PM
  3. T39m Screen Scratch
    By Chen_Kenichi in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-02-2001, 08:16 PM
  4. Warning > Display will scratch if........
    By joestedman in forum Motorola
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-24-2001, 05:46 PM
  5. scratched screens
    By Becks7 in forum Nokia
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-26-2001, 01:08 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks