Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Almost 2020, HDVoice interoperability with Verizon?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    False information
    Nope. It works. Both devices shows LTE, no fallback to 2G/3G (Edge/UMTS or CDMA/EvD/1x).

VoLTE does not depend on other party. It is between your phone and provider's back end (switch, base station etc.).
    Both Verizon and T-Mobile are, basically, 99% VoLTE, so, VoLTE works between these two.

If you think it is not true, think about situation when, let's say, VoLTE compatible T-Mobile phone in LTE only area calls Sprint phone in 3G only area. The call will be VoLTE/HD on T-Mobile side, but non-VoLTE on Sprint side.

In this example, actual voice quality may bad because of 3G on Sprint side, but it is still VoLTE/HD call on TMobile side (similar to slow LTE data. It is still LTE, but slow).

Based on https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/hd-voice-faqs/,

HD Voice is a suite of services enabled by VoLTE (Voice over LTE) technology. VoLTE delivers voice calls over the 4G LTE network instead of the traditional voice network, providing clearer, more natural sounding audio when both parties are using HD Voice-enabled phones that are connected to our 4G LTE network.
    I have IPhone on Verizon and Samsung Galaxy S9 on T-Mobile. VoLTE definitely works between these two.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    The issue is HD Voice, not VoLTE. HD Voice did not work between Verizon & T-Mobile last time I checked here in DC.

Feedback Score
    VoLTE and HD Voice are two separate things but are often lumped together. VoLTE is the way a call is processed and carried, but HD Voice is the audio codec used to carry that call. T-Mobile has been using the EVS audio codec for a number of years now, and up until recently Verizon and AT&T had been using the AMR-WB audio codec, when they too began using EVS. Here’s a great resource on all this, complete with audio samples from the various carriers. https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-...s-sound-better

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    VoLTE and HD Voice are two separate things but are often lumped together. VoLTE is the way a call is processed and carried, but HD Voice is the audio codec used to carry that call. T-Mobile has been using the EVS audio codec for a number of years now, and up until recently Verizon and AT&T had been using the AMR-WB audio codec, when they too began using EVS. Here’s a great resource on all this, complete with audio samples from the various carriers. https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-...s-sound-better
    That’s the link I was looking for!

Audio quality matters if you talk on the phone a lot.

Feedback Score
    If you want to check and see what codec is being used, check the Analytics Data on iPhones and Service Mode on Android.
    Name:  62EBBCC2-6E9C-461D-8EB5-911512C92186.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  60.6 KB
    If you're interested in EVS and have some time, take a poke around https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...Services-(EVS) if you want.

Feedback Score
    Both side VoLTE does not mean the end to the end (Verizon to T-Mobile) are HD audio.
    Voice media anchors on the exchange and converts to G.711 to the PSTN

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Ok well now that the merger has been approved, let’s hope T-Mobile can get this interoperability issue with Verizon and AT&T taken care of and get it nationwide.

Feedback Score
    Ok well now that the merger has been approved, let’s hope T-Mobile can get this interoperability issue with Verizon and AT&T taken care of and get it nationwide.
    It won't happen until they build the gateways/SBC between them...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    It won't happen until they build the gateways/SBC between them...

One would hope they already had those in place considering it’s been talked about for awhile.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I really don’t think Verizon wants to help T-Mobile get more of their customers. It takes both networks working together to get this Fixed. HD works great between T-Mobile and AT&T at least in Florida. I really don’t care since non-HD isn’t that bad. I only know two friends with Verizon and I can hear them fine even without HD. Plus 90% of the time we all just group text.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I really don’t think Verizon wants to help T-Mobile get more of their customers. It takes both networks working together to get this Fixed. HD works great between T-Mobile and AT&T at least in Florida. I really don’t care since non-HD isn’t that bad. I only know two friends with Verizon and I can hear them fine even without HD. Plus 90% of the time we all just group text.
    I guess I’m just an idealist. I mean at the end of the day, it’d just be a nice thing to do, right?

Feedback Score
    Forget the Verizon, it won't happen

Feedback Score
    There is a lot more than person to person calls over the cellular networks. What about VoIP, which is a lot of personal and most business calling. No VoLTE/HD Voice there!

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I talk with my S9 on T-Mobile in VoIP at home or VoLTE outside my house with HD sound to my daughter with i10 on AT&T all the time. I am in the Boca Raton, Florida and she is in the Orlando area. I can see a HD icon on my screen and it is a crystal clear sound. However when I talk to other relatives in rural West Tennessee that are on AT&T their isn’t any HD icon and the sound is not HD. I only know two people that have Verizon locally and I do not think it is HD sound but we have no issues in the quality of the sound when we are talking using T-Mobile and Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I talk with my S9 on T-Mobile in VoIP at home or VoLTE outside my house with HD sound to my daughter with i10 on AT&T all the time. I am in the Boca Raton, Florida and she is in the Orlando area. I can see a HD icon on my screen and it is a crystal clear sound. However when I talk to other relatives in rural West Tennessee that are on AT&T their isn’t any HD icon and the sound is not HD. I only know two people that have Verizon locally and I do not think it is HD sound but we have no issues in the quality of the sound when we are talking using T-Mobile and Verizon.
    Even you saw both ends's phone showed up "HD voice", but the voice actually is not HD voice from the end to the end.
    The PSTN exchange switch connects with G.711 between at&t and T-Mobile

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3