Page 67 of 72 FirstFirst ... 17 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1073

Thread: The final obstacle to the T-Mobile/Sprint Merger Begins Tomorrow

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    No one believes that "No Merger" will result in Chapter 11 bankruptcy. They would begin auctioning off of assets long before that occurred. .
    And it's better for consumer if the winners of such and auction were Verizon and/or at&t instead of t-mobile?

It's much more likely that another company would purchase Sprint
    No one is buying Sprint. And Sprint is not going to lowball on a price when they can sell itself off piecemeal for much more

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Still pushing that old line that SoftBank world pay off Sprint’s debt. SoftBank has public stated as I posted many pages ago in this thread that SoftBank won’t bail out Sprint’s debt. Not to mention that Sprint has new charges of Government Phone fraud for low income people that could result in billions of dollars in new fines. Nobody else wanted Sprint except for T-Mobile two years ago and I don’t see anyone new that wants to pay Sprint’s debt including SoftBank. SoftBank doesn’t own Sprint they are just the majority stockholder that isn’t required to cover Sprint’s debt.
    I’m not pushing anything. I am saying what they privately said before they entered a merger agreement with T-Mobile. They’ve had no reason to pay off sprints debt the last 2+ years. The new combined company would assume it all. But you are free to believe whatever you want to. Ultimately what SoftBank does with sprint if the merger is denied will depend very little on what you or I say.

Feedback Score

The final obstacle to the T-Mobile/Sprint Merger Begins Tomorrow

Really who is going to buy Sprint with over $44B in debt plus facing FCC fraud charges that could add billions in additional debt? Two years ago SoftBank shopped Sprint to anyone they could but only T-Mobile showed any interest in buying Sprint. Today Sprint has hemorrhages customers and has more debt today and less customers than two years ago when they started this merger attempt.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...f-subscribers/

Not entirely a true statement, but, that’s common here it seems. Ironically the only part of the company that has declined the most, is the prepaid segment, you know, boost, that company that’s supposed to kickstart dish into being the 4th carrier.

Sprints issue isn’t they are losing customers left and right, this is a myth. Their problem is they haven’t grown in 5 years, as everyone else has around them. They’ve stayed pretty much even. They never really lose too many in a bad quarter, never really gain too many in a good one. Comes back to marketing as I said earlier. Sprints main issue is they don’t know how to market their product successfully to their target base. T-Mobile does. It’s the same issue google has with the pixel line vs. the iPhone and Samsung. Google doesn’t know how to market their product to their audience, Apple and Samsung do.
    Last edited by hofonewb9; 01-24-2020 at 09:34 PM.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    I’m not pushing anything. I am saying what they privately said before they entered a merger agreement with T-Mobile. They’ve had no reason to pay off sprints debt the last 2+ years. The new combined company would assume it all. But you are free to believe whatever you want to. Ultimately what SoftBank does with sprint if the merger is denied will depend very little on what you or I say.

What is the date when Son said he would pay off Sprint’s debt as you keep saying as if it was updated? Please provide a link with that date of that statement that is no longer current. Sprint Executive Chairman Marcelo Claure Said in the trial that without the merger Sprint would reduce their network coverage from a nationwide network to a more regional network.

Claude has told regulators and lawmakers that losses totaling $25 billion over the past decade have left Sprint critically wounded. Without Bellevue, Washington-based T-Mobile, there is “no obvious path to solve key business challenges,” Sprint said in a filing.”

“ But an even bigger worry for Sprint now may be that SoftBank’s founder has moved on. Son, the second-richest person in Japan and largest SoftBank shareholder, is consumed by multibillion-dollar projects like the Vision Fund and focused on a goal of raising a new $100 billion fund every couple years. His commitment to Sprint is fading, analysts say, even though his company holds an 84 percent stake.

“Masa Son has lost interest in being a wireless carrier,” said Roger Entner, an analyst with Recon Analytics LLC. “You can see that in him selling off part of SoftBank’s wireless operations in Japan, his underinvesting in the U.S. and trying to sell Sprint to T-Mobile. So the problem is significantly beyond money.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...thout-t-mobile

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...f-subscribers/

Not entirely a true statement, but, that’s common here it seems. Ironically the only part of the company that has declined the most, is the prepaid segment, you know, boost, that company that’s supposed to kickstart dish into being the 4th carrier.

Sprints issue isn’t they are losing customers left and right, this is a myth. Their problem is they haven’t grown in 5 years, as everyone else has around them. They’ve stayed pretty much even. They never really lose too many in a bad quarter, never really gain too many in a good one. Comes back to marketing as I said earlier. Sprints main issue is they don’t know how to market their product successfully to their target base. T-Mobile does. It’s the same issue google has with the pixel line vs. the iPhone and Samsung. Google doesn’t know how to market their product to their audience, Apple and Samsung do.
    Do you ever do any research or just make up statements that you hope no one check your statement for facts?

Sprint logs first-quarter Q1 loss of $111M, continues to shed phone customers Aug, 2019 https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasci...es-losses.html

Sprint loses 91,000 postpaid phone customers and $274 million during fiscal Q2 Nov 2019. https://www.phonearena.com/news/Spri...al-Q2_id120162

I see you failed to name any company that wants to buy Sprint and take over all that $40 Billion plus debt since you seem to call me out for non- True statements. Then you preach that Sprint isn’t losing postpaid customers despite their Q2 statement. Well we will know more on Monday when Sprint drops their Q3 Financial SEC statement that was from end of 2019. It must be pretty bad since Sprint is only going to post the results online instead of facing share holders, banks and the stock media with a face to face meeting on Sprint results last quarter....

“ OVERLAND PARK, Kan., Jan. 23, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Sprint Corporation (NYSE: S) will release its fiscal 2019 third quarter financial results on Monday, Jan. 27, 2020. The results, including a message from management, will be posted at www.sprint.com/investors at approximately 8 a.m. ET. Sprint management will not host a conference call.”

https://investors.sprint.com/news-an...t/default.aspx

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Do you ever do any research or just make up statements that you hope no one check your statement for facts?

Good question...

Maybe he reads the entire articles and not just the headlines...

Sprint logs first-quarter Q1 loss of $111M, continues to shed phone customers Aug, 2019 https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasci...es-losses.html

From that article you quoted: "Sprint added 262,000 data device customers, but shed 128,000 phone customers, leaving it with a net of 134,000 postpaid additions. It also lost 169,000 prepaid customers..."

Sprint loses 91,000 postpaid phone customers and $274 million during fiscal Q2 Nov 2019. https://www.phonearena.com/news/Spri...al-Q2_id120162
    And from that one... "Sprint added 273,000 net postpaid connections for the three months from July through September, more than double the net 134,000 postpaid connections it added during fiscal Q1 and the 109,000 added during last year's fiscal Q2..."

So yeah, Sprint is losing postpaid phone customers, but adding far more postpaid device connections (hotspot, tablet, etc.) than they are losing in phones. (Though that probably makes their postpaid ARPU take a bit of a hit, since mobile internet plans are typically cheaper than phones, and their postpaid ARPU is down about a dollar vs last year.)

So, despite your quoted article headlines, Sprint postpaid lines are actually on a slight increase, even as they're shedding (even lower ARPU) prepaid customers.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    What is the date when Son said he would pay off Sprint’s debt as you keep saying as if it was updated? Please provide a link with that date of that statement that is no longer current. Sprint Executive Chairman Marcelo Claure Said in the trial that without the merger Sprint would reduce their network coverage from a nationwide network to a more regional network.

Claude has told regulators and lawmakers that losses totaling $25 billion over the past decade have left Sprint critically wounded. Without Bellevue, Washington-based T-Mobile, there is “no obvious path to solve key business challenges,” Sprint said in a filing.”

“ But an even bigger worry for Sprint now may be that SoftBank’s founder has moved on. Son, the second-richest person in Japan and largest SoftBank shareholder, is consumed by multibillion-dollar projects like the Vision Fund and focused on a goal of raising a new $100 billion fund every couple years. His commitment to Sprint is fading, analysts say, even though his company holds an 84 percent stake.

“Masa Son has lost interest in being a wireless carrier,” said Roger Entner, an analyst with Recon Analytics LLC. “You can see that in him selling off part of SoftBank’s wireless operations in Japan, his underinvesting in the U.S. and trying to sell Sprint to T-Mobile. So the problem is significantly beyond money.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...thout-t-mobile
    As I said, it was right before they announced the T-Mobile deal. Seems a lot of people actually forget what happened. Here I’ll refresh your memory. In early2017 sprint and T-Mobile started negotiating a merger deal. SoftBank eventually walked away from negotiations. After SoftBank walked away from negotiations son announced that he would invest into sprint, and apparently sent Claure a text that SoftBank was willing to pay off sprints debt if he needed to. Well apparently this was enough to at least grab T-Mobile’s attention to get them to negotiate more with sprint. This notion that T-Mobile is somehow bailing out sprint is fan fiction. T-Mobile wants this merger just as much as sprint does, if not more.

Opinion pieces don’t carry much weight with me sorry. They mean nothing honestly, and anyone can find one that agrees with their opinion. “Analysts” opinions are not facts.

But let’s take claure at his word. Why would sprint becoming regional be bad? Cellular pricing is not a regional thing. It’s nationwide. If sprint provided competition in every major urban market in the country, this would still have an effect on nationwide pricing. This notion that you must cover every inch of the country in order to compete is nonsense. T-Mobile and metro pcs has proven in the past, you can compete just fine, and have an impact on nationwide pricing, and not blanket every inch of the country with coverage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Good question...

Maybe he reads the entire articles and not just the headlines...

From that article you quoted: "Sprint added 262,000 data device customers, but shed 128,000 phone customers, leaving it with a net of 134,000 postpaid additions. It also lost 169,000 prepaid customers..."

And from that one... "Sprint added 273,000 net postpaid connections for the three months from July through September, more than double the net 134,000 postpaid connections it added during fiscal Q1 and the 109,000 added during last year's fiscal Q2..."

So yeah, Sprint is losing postpaid phone customers, but adding far more postpaid device connections (hotspot, tablet, etc.) than they are losing in phones. (Though that probably makes their postpaid ARPU take a bit of a hit, since mobile internet plans are typically cheaper than phones, and their postpaid ARPU is down about a dollar vs last year.)

So, despite your quoted article headlines, Sprint postpaid lines are actually on a slight increase, even as they're shedding (even lower ARPU) prepaid customers.
    Do you read your own stuff? It CLEARLY says the growth was because "Sprint added 262,000 data device customers" Guess what that's not where the money is. That's stuff like tablets and smartwatches which hardly make any money the REAL money is in PHONE subs particularly POSTPAID phone subs and in the article you quote

"but shed 128,000 phone customers, leaving it with a net of 134,000 postpaid additions. It also lost 169,000 prepaid customers..."

Your logic is like saying that McDonald's sold 8 million fewer Big Macs this year but sold 10 million more cheeseburgers this year so everything is good because it's 2 million more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Do you read your own stuff? It CLEARLY says the growth was because "Sprint added 262,000 data device customers" Guess what that's not where the money is. That's stuff like tablets and smartwatches which hardly make any money the REAL money is in PHONE subs particularly POSTPAID phone subs and in the article you quote

"but shed 128,000 phone customers, leaving it with a net of 134,000 postpaid additions. It also lost 169,000 prepaid customers..."

Your logic is like saying that McDonald's sold 8 million fewer Big Macs this year but sold 10 million more cheeseburgers this year so everything is good because it's 2 million more.
    This entirely depends on what postpaid phone customers were shed. Those free year sprint service customers are all coming up on their eol for the free year. So yes, if McDonald’s sold 8 million less free Big Macs, but sold 10 million paying cheeseburgers, it is better.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    There seems to be a mistaken notion that Sprint (or other carriers) are not supposed to be carrying any debt. All of the wireless carriers have debt. They borrow money for things like capital expenditures and then they make payments on the debt from their profits.

If you look at their last 10K report, the debt actually came down slightly https://s21.q4cdn.com/487940486/file...fc0860fe6e.pdf. The problem for Sprint is that it's been so poorly managed and marketed that there haven't been profits for a while so payments on the debt are problematic, but it has not defaulted. But it doesn't have a lot of cash on hand.

Whoever buys Sprint, if anyone, will not pay off the debt instantly, they will assume the debt.

We should know the outcome in a few weeks. Investors clearly believe that the deal will not go through, but gambling a little money on the deal by buying Sprint stock might be fun. You'll get 0.10256 T-Mobile shares for every Sprint share. As of the close on Friday January 24th ($81.58 T-Mobile), this means $8.37 for every Sprint share, but Sprint is at $4.83. $8.37 represents a 73% gain over $4.83.

Why are investors so confident that the deal will not go through?
    https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...-t-mobile-deal

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This entirely depends on what postpaid phone customers were shed. Those free year sprint service customers are all coming up on their eol for the free year. So yes, if McDonald’s sold 8 million less free Big Macs, but sold 10 million paying cheeseburgers, it is better.
    Good point. I wonder what deals are being offered to those "free for a year" customers to retain them. The "free for a year" was the ultimate in desperation pricing, but I guess Sprint figured that there was nothing to lose and that some of those customers would become paying customers after the free year.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    My main thought about this is that, based on Sprint's management history, I don't see them with the ability to recover on their own.

On the other hand, they may be such a poison pill that, if T-Mobile takes them over, that it will hurt T-Mobile's culture.

Sprint's coverage is better in my area than they were the last time I used them in the 2000's. But my expectations have grown too, and coverage within the great plains states are important to me. So I never tried their inexpensive plans since I can get inexpensive plans for backup phones on MVNOs, and not for my main plan since they were behind the competition on VoLTE.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post

First, I was replying to a specific post calling out another poster that said Sprint's postpaid subscriber numbers weren't falling. Shilocane countered with postpaid *phone* subscriptions were down.

And second, how do you know "where the money" is?

Sprint, like all carriers, pushes family plans very hard, which have lower ARPU than individual plans. So low, in fact, that Verizon has recently been using a new metric "ARPA" or Average Revenue Per Account, because their ARPU has dropped below everyone except Sprint's.

When multiple line discounts erode ARPU to $40, I'm not sure postpaid connected devices start looking so bad- they're all single line (no tablet "family plans") and depending on data bucket can certainly equal or exceed what carriers are getting for a third, fourth or fifth line on a family plan.

As it stands, I already said Sprint's ARPU was down $1 from the previous year. Maybe that's the tablets, maybe it's promotions, maybe it's the ARPU fairy not doing her job. You and I don't know.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    First, I was replying to a specific post calling out another poster that said Sprint's postpaid subscriber numbers weren't falling. Shilocane countered with postpaid *phone* subscriptions were down.
    I don't see his posts, but it is true that it's not just Sprint for whom postpaid subscriber numbers are up but postpaid phone subscription numbers are down.

The big growth right now is in subscriptions for devices─watches, tablets, Mi-Fi, etc.. Pretty much everyone already has a phone and changes in numbers depend on churn from competitors. We're also seeing more postpaid subscribers switching to prepaid as prepaid plans, especially prepaid family plans, become more common. Verizon Visible is an especially appealing plan for families because you get Verizon's native coverage with unlimited data for as little as $25 per month per user, but this kind of thing hurts ARPU.

I only know one person with Sprint. It's just not something many people would do around here. I know at least four families or couples with T-Mobile and they keep it because of the international features, while complaining about it around here. And I was on a trip last year with one colleague who kept wanting to hotspot into my phone with a prepaid Asian SIM card for data. We were both on T-Mobile but I had stuck a prepaid SIM card into my phone because the low-speed data was too much of an issue to deal with in order to save a few bucks.

Feedback Score
    And second, how do you know "where the money" is?
    Well let's see for example Verizon charges $5 for a smartwatch line and $10 or $20( depending on plan ) for a tablet and up to $90 for a phone line. Gee I wonder which one make more money? Hmmmm....

Page 67 of 72 FirstFirst ... 17 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 LastLast