Page 63 of 72 FirstFirst ... 13 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 LastLast

Thread: The final obstacle to the T-Mobile/Sprint Merger Begins Tomorrow

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    But I'm not betting a million dollars against someone who a) doesn't have a million dollars, and b) doesn't base anything on factual information.
    I get "a)", but isn't the "b)" the best kind of person to bet against, assuming your bet *is* based on factual information?

BTW, one strange thing about Dish satellite TV service is that it is illegal in Canada, even though many Canadians have found ways to subscribe and have not been imprisoned for doing so. Dish doesn't care about this, it's the Canadian government that cares.
    Not sure why that's strange. Copyright makes most American media services illegal elsewhere and vice versa. It's why Netflix shows different content in different countries, etc.

A million years ago when I was a DISH dealer I became "pen pals" with an Expressvu dealer in Montreal (Expressvu is/was a Canadian satellite service that used the same receiver hardware DISH used). We "traded" extra receivers so we could get each other's countries programming (neither company was particularly serious about stopping account sharing at the time, even though you were supposed to plug all your recovers into the same landline phone number to "prove" they were in the same house.)

We were both TV nerds and just enjoyed having more TV available than you were "supposed" to get. (I also still had a 9' C/Ku-band dish in the backyard too.)

Mostly I used the EVu receiver for watching CBC news, SCTV reruns, and American TV like Star Trek in French.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    I get "a)", but isn't the "b)" the best kind of person to bet against, assuming your bet *is* based on factual information?

Not sure why that's strange. Copyright makes most American media services illegal elsewhere and vice versa. It's why Netflix shows different content in different countries, etc.
    I think that it was (is) more about the Canadian government trying to protect the revenue of domestic providers.

I've become so "American" that when I go back to Canada I find things strange there. No one is armed when they go to the mall. They have that odd money. No advertisements for prescription drugs on television. And curling, what is the deal with brooms on ice?

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Since January 20, 2016 I have realized, along with most Americans, that when it comes to government decisions, factual information is rarely of any importance anymore.

With this trial, given the fact that a federal judge has a lifetime appointment, and given that this judge is unlikely to be interested in moving up to the Supreme Court, and given who appointed this judge, I will trust his decision whichever way it goes. If he believes Charlie Ergen will build a fourth nationwide network, starting with Sprint's 9 million prepaid customers, then so be it. I've never met Charlie Ergen in person, I've only heard stories by some of his former employees and read articles about him, https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...rgen-is-432288.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus 64GB and iPhone 11 PRO Max 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n33d0n3 View Post
    I don’t think Son will pay anything towards Sprint. I am just going off the people that say he will just pay it off and invest heavily into Sprint. I am sure he would rather warm his mansion by lighting $100 dollar bills in the fireplace than sink it into a company with no real future.
    This post made me laugh, but it is so true. Throwing money into Sprint doesn't seem to do it any good. Look at what Sprint has done with the piles of spectrum they own. Most of their spectrum hasn't even been utilized. The company is a train wreck and has been for a long time.
    Manners cost nothing, and also have the added benefit of making a man. You know, it is entirely possible to rise above others, without stooping to pushing them under, and putting them down.
    My Sister is a supervisor at T-Mobile's Salem Oregon Call center. Loyal T-Mobile customer of 15 Years.

Feedback Score
    Sprint will surpass T-Mobile in customers & coverage. Prices will double. Paul the red to yellow "Can you hear me now?" spokesman will take over. His new tag line will be "New iphones for everyone whether they want them or not!".

Unlimited hotspots will come with two not one free tacos from Taco Bell each month. Each port-in will come with a free fillet o' fish sandwich from McDonald's. Each port-out's final bill will contain a spitting raspberry emoji.

Paul will suddenly only speak in exclamatory statements or statements with a questioning intonation. Paul will grow a professors/beatniks goatee. And wear only elbow patched jackets with schoolboy shorts like Angus Young from AC/DC.

When Paul is questioned about his appearance, behaviors, actions or decisions. He will scream: You Want To Be Me! Don't You? Well You Can't!
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trees12 View Post
    This post made me laugh, but it is so true. Throwing money into Sprint doesn't seem to do it any good. Look at what Sprint has done with the piles of spectrum they own. Most of their spectrum hasn't even been utilized. The company is a train wreck and has been for a long time.
    Son is the same guy who just threw almost 10b into wework. As a "trainwreck" sprint has 55 million subs and brings in 27ish billion a year in revenue. Wework brings in 1.8b.

Device(s)
    Looking for new one
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    Son is the same guy who just threw almost 10b into wework. As a "trainwreck" sprint has 55 million subs and brings in 27ish billion a year in revenue. Wework brings in 1.8b.
    Sprint has been trending down for a while:
    Sprint net income for the quarter ending September 30, 2019 was $-0.274B, a 239.8% decline year-over-year.
    Sprint net income for the twelve months ending September 30, 2019 was $-2.700B, a 135.51% decline year-over-year.
    Sprint annual net income for 2019 was $-1.943B, a 126.3% decline from 2018.
    Sprint annual net income for 2018 was $7.389B, a 712.69% decline from 2017.
    Sprint annual net income for 2017 was $-1.206B, a 39.55% decline from 2016.

WeWork hasn’t even had its IPO yet. Not to mention they have cut their valuation to drum up interest in their stock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n33d0n3 View Post
    Sprint has been trending down for a while:
    Sprint net income for the quarter ending September 30, 2019 was $-0.274B, a 239.8% decline year-over-year.
    Sprint net income for the twelve months ending September 30, 2019 was $-2.700B, a 135.51% decline year-over-year.
    Sprint annual net income for 2019 was $-1.943B, a 126.3% decline from 2018.
    Sprint annual net income for 2018 was $7.389B, a 712.69% decline from 2017.
    Sprint annual net income for 2017 was $-1.206B, a 39.55% decline from 2016.

WeWork hasn’t even had its IPO yet. Not to mention they have cut their valuation to drum up interest in their stock.
    I don't put much stock in their earnings for the last 2 and half years. Ever since they entered serious negotiations with tmobile, and announced a merger, they've had no real incentive to actually compete. Their price was set and why invest more into something you are not going to get a bigger return in. Made no business sense for softbank to invest in sprint. If the merger fails, this changes. If the judge decides against the merger, Sprint stock will drop like a rock once the verdict is announced. Softbank will have no choice but to counter this by announcing they will invest in the company. Much like they did in 2017 when they first ended tmobile talks. The stock dropped, and to counter it softbank announced intentions to invest in sprint. This is why I don't believe they will announce layoffs, or file bankruptcy, or any of that after the verdict. We've seen how they will react, they called off tmobile talks before. I do not believe Son will intentionally tank his largest U.S. telecom investment. Nothing he has done before suggests he will.

You can debate if softbank will actually follow through or not, or if they will just look for another buyer or partner. But, I highly doubt they intentionally tank the company if the merger fails by announcing job cuts, service area cuts, and price increases. This would be suicide. Son is not stupid.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I don't put much stock in their earnings for the last 2 and half years. Ever since they entered serious negotiations with tmobile, and announced a merger, they've had no real incentive to actually compete. Their price was set and why invest more into something you are not going to get a bigger return in. Made no business sense for softbank to invest in sprint. If the merger fails, this changes. If the judge decides against the merger, Sprint stock will drop like a rock once the verdict is announced. Softbank will have no choice but to counter this by announcing they will invest in the company. Much like they did in 2017 when they first ended tmobile talks. The stock dropped, and to counter it softbank announced intentions to invest in sprint. This is why I don't believe they will announce layoffs, or file bankruptcy, or any of that after the verdict. We've seen how they will react, they called off tmobile talks before. I do not believe Son will intentionally tank his largest U.S. telecom investment. Nothing he has done before suggests he will.

You can debate if softbank will actually follow through or not, or if they will just look for another buyer or partner. But, I highly doubt they intentionally tank the company if the merger fails by announcing job cuts, service area cuts, and price increases. This would be suicide. Son is not stupid.
    Well-stated. When a business intentionally ceases to compete, in order to try to obtain approval of a merger or acquisition, the financial data is no longer relevant. I'm sure that the judge hearing the case will take that into consideration and will be able to figure out how much weight to give that reality when making his decision.

I don't think that the judge's decision will be politically motivated, unlike the decisions of the FCC and DOJ which have been widely criticized for not being based on factual information.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Precisely. The revenue stream is enormous and Sprint has assets that have significant value. Son is not going to let that all go to [email protected]%l should the merger not go through. Unlike WeWork, Sprint can be saved.

One of other Son's recent disasters is a pizza company that uses robots to make the pizza.
    2018: https://www.businessinsider.com/zume...pansion-2017-6
    2019: https://www.businessinsider.com/zume...oftbank-2020-1
    Conclusion: expensive, small, low-quality pizza won't sell, whether made by people or by robots.

Feedback Score
    Since January 20, 2016 I have realized, along with most Americans, that when it comes to government decisions, factual information is rarely of any importance anymore.
    Change that to before Jan 20 2016. Then you had a long 8 years when facts didn't matter.

Feedback Score
    Is the act of watching outside-of-region TV actually illegal ?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    L q

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Is the act of watching outside-of-region TV actually illegal ?
    If things haven't changed since the turn of the century (I haven't been in that business in nearly 20 years, now!) in Canada it was more of a rule breaking than a law. It's a CRTC (their FCC) violation. The laws on the books say "piracy" (unauthorized decoding) of satellite signals is illegal, and the CRTC tried to argue that since they don't authorize the use of American satellite services in Canada, receiving American services in any way is decoding "unauthorized" signals and therefore piracy.

DISH doesn't knowingly sell to Canadians nor Expressvu to Americans. Grey market brokers (third parties who resell systems across the borders and service the accounts with fraudulent addresses) would be the ones actually breaking the law, and the only ones that I'm aware of that have ever been charged and fined.

Back in the day, the CRTC tried to get the Canadian border patrol to seize American satellite equipment at border crossings, but they refused, because possession of foreign satellite equipment was not illegal in and of itself.

In any case, I don't think jack-booted Mounties have ever knocked in a door and dragged off an otherwise law-abiding Canuck for watching Game of Thrones on HBO instead of "Crave"...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I was thinking more in terms of getting content you would not otherwise get by faking what country you are viewing from.

Page 63 of 72 FirstFirst ... 13 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 LastLast