Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 58 ... LastLast

Thread: The final obstacle to the T-Mobile/Sprint Merger Begins Tomorrow

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    To answer the first question....yes. states hold the same power as the DOJ does in challenging anti trust cases. well, no, it's not the supreme Court. The supreme Court generally hears appeals. As far as a federal court decision in one state not affecting another...this is 100% inaccurate. A federal court ruling is, well, federal. If TMobile loses, they have the right to appeal all the way to the supreme Court if they wish to. I'm not sure why people are trying to argue the states don't have the power to sue here, they do. States or even private citizens hold the right to challenge pretty much any decisions the DOJ or an administration makes in a federal court. Think back to the travel ban, it was overturned in a federal court in Hawaii, but then was successfully appealed by the DOJ in the supreme Court. That ruling in Hawaii though.....affected everyone.
    I guess T-Mobile could appeal if they lose in Federal court. Since the DOJ only approved this deal because Trump wanted it approved, the same could happen in the Supreme Court given its current makeup. Read https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...b82_story.html .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    I guess T-Mobile could appeal if they lose in Federal court. Since the DOJ only approved this deal because Trump wanted it approved, the same could happen in the Supreme Court given its current makeup. Read https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...b82_story.html .
    They could appeal if they get an unfavorable ruling, they have the right to take it all the way to the supreme Court if they choose. This though isn't cheap, and it is time consuming. I'm sure their goal all along was to avoid court and settle, which I would assume they are still even actively trying to.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    It seems like the states have made better arguments in court so far if all the rumors are true but that could change fast.

Sent from my VS880 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    It seems like the states have made better arguments in court so far if all the rumors are true but that could change fast.

Sent from my VS880 using HoFo mobile app
    What argument has the State made that was effective? The only one I have read is the State lawyer said that SoftBank could invest all the money it takes to rebuild Sprint into a viable competitive cell network. SoftBank has had a 78% of Sprint stock since 2012 but SoftBank is just a stock holder of a public traded company that can’t increase their stock percentage without taking Sprint private. Sprint hasn’t made a profit since 2006 except for a few quarters due mainly to a tax cut. SoftBank has publicly said it isn’t going to save Sprint from the bank debt. Unless the states wants to buy Sprint and prove they can’t run a business Sprint is going to run out of money fast. Which will lead to every thing the stupid State Attorneys are saying will happen in a merger with T-Mobile of people losing their jobs and in the end we have only three networks.

Please tell me what great arguments the State has made to address Sprint’s future bankruptcy other than SoftBank can afford to waste more money on Sprint?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    What argument has the State made that was effective? The only one I have read is the State lawyer said that SoftBank could invest all the money it takes to rebuild Sprint into a viable competitive cell network. SoftBank has had a 78% of Sprint stock since 2012 but SoftBank is just a stock holder of a public traded company that can’t increase their stock percentage without taking Sprint private. Sprint hasn’t made a profit since 2006 except for a few quarters due mainly to a tax cut. SoftBank has publicly said it isn’t going to save Sprint from the bank debt. Unless the states wants to buy Sprint and prove they can’t run a business Sprint is going to run out of money fast. Which will lead to every thing the stupid State Attorneys are saying will happen in a merger with T-Mobile of people losing their jobs and in the end we have only three networks.

Please tell me what great arguments the State has made to address Sprint’s future bankruptcy other than SoftBank can afford to waste more money on Sprint?
    Them commenting anything would be pointless, because no matter what the states say, you will disagree with it. So, why ask for something you won't agree with anyway? A great argument or point is only great if there is an objective auidence listening to it. If you are debating something with a person who has already made up their mind, it's pointless. No matter what the states or anyone else says, you will disagree with.

Feedback Score
    Keep saying it, dish may be the undoing of this.

https://www.lightreading.com/t-mobil.../d/d-id/756234

"The judge in the case appeared most interested in how Dish Network might be positioned to replace Sprint as a fourth nationwide wireless network provider if Sprint and T-Mobile are permitted to merge. According to the New Street analysts, the judge asked Höttges whether Dish can scale its operations and whether it can compete in the long term.

Finally, an interesting subplot to emerge during the proceeding involved Dish's Charlie Ergen and his negotiating tactics. Höttges testified that Ergen was "not easy to deal with," according to Reuters. And the analysts at New Street said that Höttges met with Amazon executives after rumors surfaced in 2017 indicating that Amazon was interested in some kind of wireless partnership with Dish. Amazon, Höttges wrote, "clearly denied being interested" in a Dish partnership, and he said he believed the whole thing was "another one of Charlie Ergen's stupid bluffs."

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Not to mention the entire Canadian population is just a little more than the NY metro area, lol.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    **and the population is spread out over a landmass that dwarfs the continental US.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like T-Mobile has very little chance of winning the case. If they don't get a settlement I don't think they will get sprint

After the text from sprints CEO surfaced, no judge will approve deal if they continue to duke it out with the states. Sounds like so far the states are whipping T-Mobile and sprint

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Keep saying it, dish may be the undoing of this.

https://www.lightreading.com/t-mobil.../d/d-id/756234

"The judge in the case appeared most interested in how Dish Network might be positioned to replace Sprint as a fourth nationwide wireless network provider if Sprint and T-Mobile are permitted to merge. According to the New Street analysts, the judge asked Höttges whether Dish can scale its operations and whether it can compete in the long term.

Finally, an interesting subplot to emerge during the proceeding involved Dish's Charlie Ergen and his negotiating tactics. Höttges testified that Ergen was "not easy to deal with," according to Reuters. And the analysts at New Street said that Höttges met with Amazon executives after rumors surfaced in 2017 indicating that Amazon was interested in some kind of wireless partnership with Dish. Amazon, Höttges wrote, "clearly denied being interested" in a Dish partnership, and he said he believed the whole thing was "another one of Charlie Ergen's stupid bluffs."
    Definitely.

Either dish or sprint will ruin the chances, I think sprint already has with the leaked stuff from their CEO. Sprint isn't smart enough to win the suit thats for sure and we all know dish won't take it serious

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Them commenting anything would be pointless, because no matter what the states say, you will disagree with it. So, why ask for something you won't agree with anyway? A great argument or point is only great if there is an objective auidence listening to it. If you are debating something with a person who has already made up their mind, it's pointless. No matter what the states or anyone else says, you will disagree with.
    Great so now someone that created a new account less than 2 months ago is telling long time members what we can and cannot talk about even if I was never addressing the question to you in the first place.

Feedback Score
    Great so now someone that created a new account less than 2 months ago is telling long time members what we can and cannot talk about even if I was never addressing the question to you in the first place.
    Nobody is telling you anything, someone is though asking what's the point. You already have your mind made up and anything they say to you won't be good enough. It appears all you want to hear is how awesome TMobile is and how "dumb" the states are. Sorry, that's not an actual discussion on the trial, it's just ego padding. So, the question still is, why should anyone engage in that? If you would like to have an actual discussion on the merger, I'd love to, I find it absolutely fascinating and it really is uncharted territory in anti trust cases, if you just want to rant to me about the greatness of TMobile and how bad everyone else is, save it. I worked for the company for 12 years and have heard it all before.

Are you generally always this argumentive and defensive with people who hold different opinions than you?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sorry double post accidentally...
    Last edited by shilohcane; 12-12-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Feedback Score
    Great so now someone that created a new account less than 1 months ago is telling long time members what we can and cannot talk about even if I was never addressing the question to you in the first place.
    Thank you for proving my point.

Feedback Score
    This is untrue, there was nobody else contacted by many reports. TMobile eyed their puppet...sotty I mean partner right from the start Yes, they are the weak link in Tmobiles defense of the merger. Are you really going to try to argue they are not?
    I'm going to argue that you can present any other company that has expressed interest in building a fourth nationwide network. All you can do is say this or that company could have. Could have is not the same as wanted to.

The difference between Dish and any other company is they already own a massive amount of unused spectrum. There is no other company possessing anything close to that. And they have a deadline to use it, so it's in the FCC's best interest to see that spectrum finally put to use.

While its not entirely Tmobiles fault, i mean the DOJ dangled a carrot of a prize in front of them (the merger) if they picked their own competition (dish), of course they aren't going to go after someone they feel is competent enough to actually provide competition, so they went with dish.
    Picked their competition? Again, there wasn't any group of companies vying to be the fourth competitor and T-Mobile "picked". Nobody wants to lose money being the newcomer in an established industry. That's the thing that makes this industry unique. A new restaurant chain or retail store can establish a presence in just a few states. Nobody is going to not go a restaurant because it doesn't have locations on the opposite coast.

But people will not use a cellular service if they don't have coverage in areas where they travel. Hence a competitor in the wireless industry must go nationwide to fully compete. And the cost of doing that is in most cases prohibitive. Because of Dish's spectrum position they have a shot. But I will not assume their success.

Feedback Score
    "In earlier testimony Wednesday, a Sprint executive said his company wouldn’t survive much longer without a proposed $26.5 billion takeover by T-Mobile, because it lacks the resources to upgrade its networks and has generally weak business prospects.

“Sprint would not be viable within the next two years,” Jay Bluhm, the vice president of network development and engineering, said in response to a question from the judge on Sprint’s future as a stand-alone. "

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...conomist-says/

Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 58 ... LastLast