Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Total Wireless Now Advertising Mobile Hotspot Through eBay store

Device(s)
    Motorola G4 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Total Wireless Now Advertising Mobile Hotspot Through eBay store

Total Wireless was supposed to have offically launched mobile hotspot several weeks ago, but the launch got delayed. It looks like they are finally offering it, but it's still not shown on the Total Wireless website. Instead, it's being advertised through TracFone's official eBay store for the $35 plan.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Total-Wirel...a/283064004670

Feedback Score
    Nice find!

Feedback Score
    Hot spot does not work with TW VZ on my 6s.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO Joe View Post
    Total Wireless was supposed to have offically launched mobile hotspot several weeks ago, but the launch got delayed. It looks like they are finally offering it, but it's still not shown on the Total Wireless website. Instead, it's being advertised through TracFone's official eBay store for the $35 plan.
    It shows up on all the plans on eBay.

If you call 611 and ask about Hotspot they will tell you that they don't support it.
    If you go onto online chat they will tell you that they don't support it.

Apparently no one has informed the customer service people of the new Hotspot service.

Feedback Score
    I was able to use hotspot just today on my Total Wireless-branded Moto G7 Power.

Feedback Score
    Unlocked Android phones were always able to use the hotspot. Not sure about the "branded" TW devices.
    It's risky because it is against their TOS, so you can have the service cancelled.
    https://www.totalwireless.com/termsa...itions?lang=en

7. UNAUTHORIZED USE OF SERVICE

Your Service (i.e., voice, text, or data services) and any phone using Total Wireless Service may only be used for the following purposes: (a) person to person voice calls, text, and picture messaging and (b) personal web browsing, email, ordinary content downloads and uploads, video and audio streaming without excessively contributing to network congestion.

Your Service and any phone using Total Wireless Service may not be used for any unauthorized uses that may adversely impact other customers using our Service or the Carriers’ networks. Examples of some unauthorized uses include, but are not limited to, the following:

continuous uninterrupted voice calls or otherwise using your voice service to provide monitoring services, data transmission, transmission of broadcasts, transmission of recorded material, interconnection to other networks, telemarketing activity, autodialed calls, or robocalls;
    automated text or picture messaging;
    uninterrupted and continuous uploading, downloading, or streaming of audio or video;
    as a server device or to host computer applications, including, but not limited to, web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer file sharing;
    as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections;
    any applications that allow your phone to act as an internet access point or Wi-Fi for other devices and computers unless such use is allowed under your Plan.
    A customer engaged in any unauthorized use may have their Service suspended or terminated in our sole discretion. We reserve the right to interrupt, suspend, cancel, or terminate your Service to protect a Carrier’s network from harm due to any cause including, without limitation, the excessive and/or unauthorized use of the Service. We further reserve the right to limit, deny, or terminate Service to anyone we believe is using it in an unauthorized manner or whose usage, in our sole discretion, adversely impacts a Carrier’s network or customer service levels. We will presume you are engaging in an unauthorized use in violation of these Terms and Conditions, if in our sole discretion, you are placing an abnormally high number of calls, or repeatedly placing calls of unusually long duration, if your voice minute total exceeds 43,200 minutes during a 30-day period, or if your talk, text or data usage is abnormally high, or harmful, or disruptive to the Carrier’s network or to our customer service levels. If we determine, in our sole discretion, that you are using your Service in violation of these Terms and Conditions or in any other manner that we deem to be unreasonable or excessive, we may interrupt, suspend, cancel, or terminate your Service.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Unlocked Android phones were always able to use the hotspot. Not sure about the "branded" TW devices.
    It's risky because it is against their TOS, so you can have the service cancelled.
    Yes, my Samsung Android phone has always worked with hotspot on TW, but now I guess it's not against the TOS.

The iPhone says "To enable personal hotspot on this account, contact TFW at 611 or visit http://m.tracfone.com"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    Yes, my Samsung Android phone has always worked with hotspot on TW, but now I guess it's not against the TOS.
    How did you figured that? I just posted above the paragraph from the current TOS that says otherwise.
    Did you call customer service?

Feedback Score
    "any applications that allow your phone to act as an internet access point or Wi-Fi for other devices and computers unless such use is allowed under your Plan" I've always wondered about. Most phones have the HotSpot function as part of the OS, it's not an application in the general sense of the word unless an OS is an application.

Also, what about tethering? I know the term tethering and hotspot are often used interchangeably but tethering is using a hard cable (usb on your phone to usb on another device) where as HS is wireless, capable of providing to several devices. I've read in some other thread that "tethering" is not detectable by the provider as is HS wireless. There's mention that if your device has an HDMI port, connecting it to your TV is ok.

I don't know any of the real answers, just throwing some what if's out there as they relate to the topic. There have been comments by people that are unaware of the policy and have been using HS for years without consequence.
    Do the providers really care unless they detect extremely excessive use on an account. For example on the Page Plus website it says "At 60 GB, we reserve the right to review your account for usage in violation of Page Plus's terms and conditions."

Feedback Score
    The hotspot is an application delivered with the phone's OS, but is not part of the OS required functionality.

It is packaged same as many other apps with the shipped firmware, sure... but again case can be made that is not needed for the OS to work.
    They used that verbiage because there are many other apps that can be used to share the Internet Access and not always over WiFi (via Bluetooth, via USB). They wanted to be clear that making the phone an Internet Access Point, by any means, is not allowed.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    "any applications that allow your phone to act as an internet access point or Wi-Fi for other devices and computers unless such use is allowed under your Plan" I've always wondered about. Most phones have the HotSpot function as part of the OS, it's not an application in the general sense of the word unless an OS is an application.

Also, what about tethering? I know the term tethering and hotspot are often used interchangeably but tethering is using a hard cable (usb on your phone to usb on another device) where as HS is wireless, capable of providing to several devices. I've read in some other thread that "tethering" is not detectable by the provider as is HS wireless. There's mention that if your device has an HDMI port, connecting it to your TV is ok.

I don't know any of the real answers, just throwing some what if's out there as they relate to the topic. There have been comments by people that are unaware of the policy and have been using HS for years without consequence.
    Do the providers really care unless they detect extremely excessive use on an account. For example on the Page Plus website it says "At 60 GB, we reserve the right to review your account for usage in violation of Page Plus's terms and conditions."
    Good points. "Mobile Hotspot" isn't an application that a manufacturer bundles, it's a setting. A SIM card can disable settings that the carrier doesn't want to work, like on the iPhone the TW SIM card prevents hotspot. I've had a SIM card from an MVNO that prevented looking for available networks because roaming is not allowed. My colleague has a Samsung Galaxy that he bought from Total Wireless and the hotspot functionality in settings is not disabled. He had no idea that hotspot was not permitted and he's never been admonished for using it. Nor was the phone even locked to Total Wireless for a year, he's used it with prepaid SIM cards when traveling.

As to why it's still in the TOS even though TW now apparently is allowing 10GB of hotspot use, I expect that most carriers have stuff in their TOS that is out of date and no longer applicable.

As to why an MVNO even cares if a customer uses their data on the phone or via a hotspot, unless they have unlimited high speed data, I have two theories.

First, most users use far less data than their limit and since the MVNO pays the underlying carrier for data the MVNO doesn't want to be encouraging users to find ways to reach their data limit; since switching to Total Wireless and checking the data usage on our family plan, we are using about 1/8th of the 100GB that is included, but if we used hotspot instead of Wi-Fi for our computers and televisions we'd be at the limit.

Second, the underlying carriers didn't want their MVNOs to be offering the hotspot feature because it's considered a premium feature that is being used to distinguish MVNOs from direct service. Same for stuff like Wi-Fi calling.

Device(s)
    Motorola G4 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Strangely, they have now removed the "now includes hotspot" label from the eBay plans. I guess they were released prematurely?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    Good points. "Mobile Hotspot" isn't an application that a manufacturer bundles, it's a setting.
    Not that it matters, but that's an system app that you are launching. On my Galaxy S10 is called SmartTethering.
    Anyway the main thing is that making your phone share the internet connection by any means is not permitted.

Name:  Screenshot_20191218-185410_Settings.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  24.7 KB

Feedback Score
    This post had me check the “tetherme” tweak after the normal hot spot toggle did not work. Yes I now have the hotspot through the tweak. Also I’m a true believer in jailbreaking ios.

Feedback Score
    Anyone find the hotspot working with Total Wireless yet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast