Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What Is Currently The Best Option For A Very, Very Low Usage Voice Only Carrier

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I manually refill my two PPC lines. I look at my account on the website, and whatever date they say it expires on, I refill sometime the previous day. I too was under the impression that things expire at the beginning of the 120th day, not "some time" that day.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I manually refill my two PPC lines. I look at my account on the website, and whatever date they say it expires on, I refill sometime the previous day. I too was under the impression that things expire at the beginning of the 120th day, not "some time" that day.
    Better safe than sorry! 119 days is exactly 17 weeks anyway, so maybe that's easier, too!

Feedback Score
    2 phones on H2O (AT&T) Been with them 3 years. 5c/min & pay $10 every 3 mo. Any problems were solved easily by c/s. Coverage OK in most places I go in TX or LA.

1 on Page Plus (Verizon) 12c / min, pay $10 every 119 days. If I got a 4G phone, or paid $25 for the 400 min. plan, cost w/be 6c/min. Have had PP for 4 years, no problems. Works well in the places we frequent.

2 on Tmobile "legacy" SIM, cost $10 / year. 20c/min. Can't get that plan any more, but I would be able to part with one of them. Use for backup. Problems solved by c/s, and even a couple of times in the store. Several areas I go, poor to none coverage. OK in metro areas. Have had Tmobile over 20 years.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the feedback. We went with PagePlus. I needed customer service to get through some setup problems on both phones, but it has worked well since then. We used Lycamobile previously and it seemed more times than not, when we wanted to make a call, there was no coverage. We have less than 10 minutes total use on both phones since switching to PagePlus about three weeks ago, so I have not had a lot of experience with Page Plus, but each time we needed it, we had coverage. The $10 every three months will more than cover our usage. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    With USmobile you can choose a $2 a month plan that has 75 min. They work on both the verizon and att network you just pick which one is best for you. My mom is paying $10 a month on her flip phone with the att network and she's very happy with it. https://www.usmobile.com/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPan2 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. We went with PagePlus. I needed customer service to get through some setup problems on both phones, but it has worked well since then. We used Lycamobile previously and it seemed more times than not, when we wanted to make a call, there was no coverage. We have less than 10 minutes total use on both phones since switching to PagePlus about three weeks ago, so I have not had a lot of experience with Page Plus, but each time we needed it, we had coverage. The $10 every three months will more than cover our usage. Thanks again.
    You're welcome. I used PPC Standard Plan for 14 years, from 2001-2015, with no problems. I currently use data only SIMs, one on AT&T and 1 on T-Mobile, and where I live and travel, they work well. But if I ever needed limited use Vzw coverage, I wouldn't hesitate to start using the PPC Standard Plan again.

Just for clarification, if you don't use up the entire $10, PPC required refills are closer to $10 every FOUR (4) months (119 days = 17 weeks), not every three months.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gbsa850 View Post
    With USmobile you can choose a $2 a month plan that has 75 min. They work on both the verizon and att network you just pick which one is best for you. My mom is paying $10 a month on her flip phone with the att network and she's very happy with it. https://www.usmobile.com/
    Can you explain how to get a 75 minute plan for only $2/month on US Mobile? From what I can see, the minimum cost for US Mobile is $4/mo + taxes/fees. That's more than PPC's $2.50/30 days + taxes/fees minimum cost. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    https://www.usmobile.com/plans

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Can you explain how to get a 75 minute plan for only $2/month on US Mobile? From what I can see, the minimum cost for US Mobile is $4/mo + taxes/fees. That's more than PPC's $2.50/30 days + taxes/fees minimum cost. Thanks.
    It's on the build your own plan page. $2 is just 75 minutes of talk nothing else

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    It's on the build your own plan page. $2 is just 75 minutes of talk nothing else
    Yes, that's what that page SAYS, but it seems to be a deception by US Mobile, right? Isn't there a $2 additional fee added on top of the $2 plan fee?

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Yes, that's what that page SAYS, but it seems to be a deception by US Mobile, right? Isn't there a $2 additional fee added on top of the $2 plan fee?
    That is correct. Plus a small Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee. Despite that, I have been very pleased with US Mobile and the flexibility of the build-your-own-plan option.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post
    2 phones on H2O (AT&T) Been with them 3 years. 5c/min & pay $10 every 3 mo. Any problems were solved easily by c/s. Coverage OK in most places I go in TX or LA.

1 on Page Plus (Verizon) 12c / min, pay $10 every 119 days. If I got a 4G phone, or paid $25 for the 400 min. plan, cost w/be 6c/min. Have had PP for 4 years, no problems. Works well in the places we frequent.

2 on Tmobile "legacy" SIM, cost $10 / year. 20c/min. Can't get that plan any more, but I would be able to part with one of them. Use for backup. Problems solved by c/s, and even a couple of times in the store. Several areas I go, poor to none coverage. OK in metro areas. Have had Tmobile over 20 years.
    My wife still has a T-Mobile Gold Rewards plan. But, she only pays .10/min. even though she always only adds the $10 yearly. If you’re still paying .20/min. call CS, they’ll change it for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post

For [1] above, why is the rate 12c vs 6c based on what phone you have? I am not familiar with this kind of price variation. I've heard of other factors that change the price with various carriers, but not this method.

Feedback Score
    @LPPan2,

Just a note here, even though it is moot since you already got a new plan:

You stated earlier that your Lycamobile prepaid plan expired after 90 days, and you "used up their goodwill" or something like that. Actually, it was NOT anything you did or didn't do. Lycamobile basically removed that old plan earlier this year. Everyone at some point heard a termination/suspension message when they pulled the plug, regardless of how often you recharged or made a call. Everyone using lyca paygo had to find an alternative if you wanted something with low or no monthly cost for minimal usage. You can find EXTENSIVE Lyca threads here that discuss this at length. Lyca appears to want the standard monthly pay plans and ditched the paygo option, except with a crappy version of it that requires frequent recharge. Just an FYI. Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    For [1] above, why is the rate 12c vs 6c based on what phone you have? I am not familiar with this kind of price variation. I've heard of other factors that change the price with various carriers, but not this method.
    As I believe @Boz1 pointed out it's actually 10c a minute on the $10 plan, and that's for 3G phones. 4Gs would be the 6c on the $10. Maybe an incentive to get people to switch their old low use 3Gs to 4G which they'll soon need to do.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast