Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What Is Currently The Best Option For A Very, Very Low Usage Voice Only Carrier

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    As I believe @Boz1 pointed out it's actually 10c a minute on the $10 plan, and that's for 3G phones. 4Gs would be the 6c on the $10. Maybe an incentive to get people to switch their old low use 3Gs to 4G which they'll soon need to do.
    So they actually determine which type of phone you are using when you buy additional call credit? Or, how exactly does that work to charge a separate rate for 3g vs 4g ?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    So they actually determine which type of phone you are using when you buy additional call credit? Or, how exactly does that work to charge a separate rate for 3g vs 4g ?
    It's based on what you activated, which is based on your phone. Then when you add additional credit, it just carries on with the current plan for the phone you activated. It's really pretty simple.

Feedback Score
    (No figure how make multiquote work)

Boz1:
    It's based on what you activated, which is based on your phone. Then when you add additional credit, it just carries on with the current plan for the phone you activated. It's really pretty simple.
    How does the plan know when the user took the SIM card from the phone which was activated, and put the card into a different but compatible phone for which the plan was never "activated " for the phone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    How does the plan know when the user took the SIM card from the phone which was activated, and put the card into a different but compatible phone for which the plan was never "activated " for the phone?
    For the most part 3G was no sim. Whether a 3G sim could even be swapped to a 4G phone I don't know. When getting a plan it goes by the phone number and I assume the imei for phone type (3G or 4G). Page Plus does auto updates for imei/sim pairings when you swap sims. So if you could do a 3G to 4G sim swap their system would know the new imei and you'd probably get the appropriate 4G rate.

Feedback Score
    Has T-Mobile gold rewards changed? A $10 refill used to extend time for another year and add calls at 35 cents per minute. I have $135 balance and have like 1000 available minutes. So customer service could change this to 1350 minutes for instance? Thanks.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    (No figure how make multiquote work)

Boz1:

Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    For the most part 3G was no sim. Whether a 3G sim could even be swapped to a 4G phone I don't know. When getting a plan it goes by the phone number and I assume the imei for phone type (3G or 4G). Page Plus does auto updates for imei/sim pairings when you swap sims. So if you could do a 3G to 4G sim swap their system would know the new imei and you'd probably get the appropriate 4G rate.
    A phone on the PPC legacy 3G Standard Plan (paygo) NEVER had a SIM card. No Vzw 3G only phone EVER used a SIM card to connect to the Vzw network. That was NOT EVER a thing. So what joseg2016 asked COULD NOT happen.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jw530 View Post
    Has T-Mobile gold rewards changed? A $10 refill used to extend time for another year and add calls at 35 cents per minute. I have $135 balance and have like 1000 available minutes. So customer service could change this to 1350 minutes for instance? Thanks.
    All I know for sure is that whenever we add our $10 yearly we are credited 100 minutes. Always check your stated balance AND minutes before you add the $10 and then immediately after to make sure you were credited the correct amount. There was discussion about this some time ago and it was said if you aren’t credited $.10/min. just call CS and they will correct it. We didn’t even have to call, they just started doing it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    A phone on the PPC legacy 3G Standard Plan (paygo) NEVER had a SIM card. No Vzw 3G only phone EVER used a SIM card to connect to the Vzw network. That was NOT EVER a thing. So what joseg2016 asked COULD NOT happen.
    I made my question because of a recent visit to a major carrier's retail store and told ALL devices for ALL of their plans will require a device with SIM card; and of past discussions on HoFo about taking out sim from one phone and ability to put it into another phone and use that phone.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I made my question because of a recent visit to a major carrier's retail store and told ALL devices for ALL of their plans will require a device with SIM card; and of past discussions on HoFo about taking out sim from one phone and ability to put it into another phone and use that phone.
    I don't understand what you're saying. You're not even telling us WHICH "major carrier's retail store".

IF A PHONE USES A SIM CARD TO CONNECT TO THE VZW NETWORK, IT IS A 4G LTE PHONE, AND WILL HAVE TO BE ON ONE OF THE PPC "4G Pay-As-You-Go Plans"! If that doesn't answer your question about PPC 3G/4G pay as you go rates, please explain in full detail what you don't understand and/or what you need to know.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I don't understand what you're saying. You're not even telling us WHICH "major carrier's retail store".

IF A PHONE USES A SIM CARD TO CONNECT TO THE VZW NETWORK, IT IS A 4G LTE PHONE, AND WILL HAVE TO BE ON ONE OF THE PPC "4G Pay-As-You-Go Plans"! If that doesn't answer your question about PPC 3G/4G pay as you go rates, please explain in full detail what you don't understand and/or what you need to know.
    boz1
    I really do have some confusion trying to follow this thread or topic. Some details of MY trouble I will try to explain in a P.M. but if you could add or explain anything, I guess you could try to ON this topic here on the forum.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    boz1
    I really do have some confusion trying to follow this thread or topic. Some details of MY trouble I will try to explain in a P.M. but if you could add or explain anything, I guess you could try to ON this topic here on the forum.
    Hopefully this will help cut through the confusion.

Unlike GSM carriers (T-Mo, AT&T, etc.) who have used SIM cards forever*, CDMA-based carriers like Verizon and Sprint only started using SIM cards with 4G/LTE devices. Older CDMA devices used a built-in "NAM" (Number Assignment Module) instead of a removable SIM card. Therefore PagePlus, Verizon, etc. knows if you're using a non-LTE (NAM-based) device, because it can't work if they don't activate its internal NAM! (And you obviously can't just move your 4G/LTE PagePlus account SIM to a 3G-only device, because it doesn't have a SIM slot to move it to.)

The old PagePlus 3G ($0.10/min.) phone plan is no longer available to new users, because you can no longer activate non-4G phones on Verizon or its MVNOs like PagePlus, in preparation of Verizon shutting down their legacy 3G network in a year or two. (Existing 3G device users will eventually have to upgrade to LTE devices before that happens, but can keep using their currently active 3G devices for now.)

So, anyone signing up with PagePlus today doesn't have the more expensive $0.10 3G-plan option available, making your question about the $0.10 vs. $0.06 plan completely academic.

Hope that helped...

(*To avoid additional confusion, I'm intentionally ignoring both the now-obsolete analog and TDMA non-GSM cell phones previously used by AT&T that also used NAMs instead of SIMs!)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    I just added a $10 refill card to my gold rewards account and it added only 35 minutes. The account rep couldn't adjust my additional refill to 100 extra minutes. I think the cost per minute rate is averaged for the whole account balance. I had roughly $200 balance with 1530 minutes and the (average) cost is 13 cents per minute. Maybe if I had a $200 balance with 2000 min for instance and I added a $10 refill, my average cost would still be 10 cents per minute rounded down, but I would have only 2035 minutes. That is the only way I could see paying 10 cents per minute (on average) for $10 refill.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I have to dispute Zipy's comments about his wife's situation and how that relates to jw530's findings.

The thing with the T-Mobile Legacy Gold Rewards type accounts, as I have experienced, is that a couple (maybe three) years ago there was a one-time courtesy readjustment offered that would look at your dollar balance and change it so that displayed available voice minutes reflected a rate of $0.10/minute (doing the math manually), no matter what appeared before.

I've had a line with this plan type since 2005. I heard here on HoFo about this offer and called in and they made the adjustment. The following year the $10 addition I made did indeed add only 35 minutes. I did call to inquire about it and they confirmed it was a one-time thing.

So the only way to get a $0.10/ minute rate (for just that refill, not converting the entire balance) is to add a $100 refill, which for most would be an unlikely thing to do at this point.

With this in mind your overall per minute rate, as figured manually by dividing the account balance by the displayed number of minutes, will creep up fractionally year by year.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Hmm..., just retrieved my wife’s “dollars and minutes remaining” and it states $82.54, 825 minutes, @ $.10/minute.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Well, I guess we can't disallow the possibility that site and system glitches exist. Just take a look at the history of things with the TracFone companies.

But following things over the past few years here at HoFo and seeing posts from the origins of the extended $0.10/minute offer for Legacy PAYGO accounts (which occurred around the time that the $3/month prepaid plan existed actively on T-Mo's site), and testimony from those who did the adjustment, then tried the following year and were denied additional adjustments, I'd have to say, Zipy, that your wife is simply lucky in this regard.

I mean, logically, when T-Mobile stopped the Legacy PAYGO plan(s) and started the $3 plan, per minute cost was $0.10, so why have a system where there is a whole other pricing scheme, so even though they may grandfather the Legacy plan structure, they could have dropped the multiple differing per minute aspects of the different refill PIN cards and just make it $0.10 across the board (which originally, at least back to the early 2000s, had been in place). Spending $100 was the only way to get your minutes at $0.10 (for each purchase - it didn't "switch" the entire account balance to a fixed rate).

No biggie, certainly. Just keep an eye on it annually and see if/how it maintains itself. If there were a way for me to solidify a better per minute rate, I'd go for it. But my use for this line is such that just being able to maintain it at $10/year and have a generous balance for occasional use is sufficient.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast