Thread: My 5 for $100 is finally coming to an end - what is my best alternative?

Feedback Score

My 5 for $100 is finally coming to an end - what is my best alternative?

I have been on the 5/$100 grandfathered plan where all five lines are on the 5GB plan. One of my 5 lines (a friend) unfortunately is porting out, so now I am stuck losing the old plan. I will have 4 lines then, for now at least. Maybe in 6 mos to a year I will be adding my son as a 5th.

Best option to stay as close to current as I can? Just leave all 4 lines on the $40 5GB plan and get the groupsave? I was toying with trying to port out and port back to get the $40 UNLIMITED plan but I see in the fine print that it is NOT ELIGIBLE FOR ANY GROUPSAVE so that would not be good. Or go to AT&T Prepaid? I need to research the total price for 4 lines in a groupsave in both of those options. Are there other options I should consider? I thought there was a 4 lines for $100 unlimited option but I don't see that?

I wish I could swap in a new dummy number and preserve the 5/$100 as my son could then use that number here soon, but I understand that ANY change in line is gonna kill my grandfathered plan...

The saving grace if there is one, is that now I can consider messing with doing the S10 port-in adding a new line to the account and never activating it so I don't waste $55 for first month service, which might make me pull the trigger on that deal....still thinking.....

EDIT - NOW I SEE THE 4/$100 which is the Cricket Core Plan Unlimited 3mbps. So basically I can get unlimited 3mbps for all for lines for $100, or I have to pay $10 more a month to be on the 5GB "faster" 8mbps plan yes?

Do people notice the speed difference at 3mbps? Is everything linear with signal strength, meaning on my 8mbps plan now, if I am in 2 bars and only getting download speed of 1mbps, if I am then on the 3mbps plan would I still get the same 1mbps at that moment or would I be getting 400kbps as the same proportion to the actual vs theoretical on 8mbps plan I am seeing at that spot and signal strength? Don't know if I am asking clearly on this question but hopefully someone understands....

Thanks

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket/AIO
    Feedback Score
    I switched from the 5/$100 to the 4/$100 unlimited 3Mb. I have seen no issues.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    I have been on the 5/$100 grandfathered plan where all five lines are on the 5GB plan. One of my 5 lines (a friend) unfortunately is porting out, so now I am stuck losing the old plan. I will have 4 lines then, for now at least. Maybe in 6 mos to a year I will be adding my son as a 5th.

Best option to stay as close to current as I can? Just leave all 4 lines on the $40 5GB plan and get the groupsave? I was toying with trying to port out and port back to get the $40 UNLIMITED plan but I see in the fine print that it is NOT ELIGIBLE FOR ANY GROUPSAVE so that would not be good. Or go to AT&T Prepaid? I need to research the total price for 4 lines in a groupsave in both of those options. Are there other options I should consider? I thought there was a 4 lines for $100 unlimited option but I don't see that?

I wish I could swap in a new dummy number and preserve the 5/$100 as my son could then use that number here soon, but I understand that ANY change in line is gonna kill my grandfathered plan...

The saving grace if there is one, is that now I can consider messing with doing the S10 port-in adding a new line to the account and never activating it so I don't waste $55 for first month service, which might make me pull the trigger on that deal....still thinking.....

EDIT - NOW I SEE THE 4/$100 which is the Cricket Core Plan Unlimited 3mbps. So basically I can get unlimited 3mbps for all for lines for $100, or I have to pay $10 more a month to be on the 5GB "faster" 8mbps plan yes?

Do people notice the speed difference at 3mbps? Is everything linear with signal strength, meaning on my 8mbps plan now, if I am in 2 bars and only getting download speed of 1mbps, if I am then on the 3mbps plan would I still get the same 1mbps at that moment or would I be getting 400kbps as the same proportion to the actual vs theoretical on 8mbps plan I am seeing at that spot and signal strength? Don't know if I am asking clearly on this question but hopefully someone understands....

Thanks
    I switched as well because I had kids going over the 5gb and hated the throttle. For the most part, no difference. I have 1 kid near New York and he had issues when he goes into the city, but I think that's crappy at&t there, because he's fine elsewhere.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks that's helpful

I guess no real downside to switching plans as right now I am going to be charged 110 for this month. Question is do I set it so it changes plans at the renewal in 13 days or do it now so I get charged a little bit less

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Visible
    Feedback Score
    If you don’t have to stay with Cricket: Visible. Join a Visible “Party” and get unlimited and uncapped everything including hotspot for $25 a month: https://old.reddit.com/r/VisiblePartyPay/

Or start your own “Party” (4 lines maximum).

$20 for each of us if you use my referral code. These are not available anymore. I’m grandfathered in and still can refer people. Use my code for every number you port over:

Plus you get a $100 prepaid MasterCard for each number ported and you BYOP. This comes after your second payment.

So, your first month for 4 lines will cost you $20 total, $100/month afterwards.
    Last edited by martin_j001; 12-12-2019 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Mod edited to remove referral code, see rules

Feedback Score
    Not trying to endorse another service, but one advantage of not being on a grandfathered plan is you take advantage of port in deals with other carriers like the Visible deal mentioned above. Port out to get some phone deals and then port back to cricket after you get rebates from other service or wait until cricket has a good phone deal for port ins.

Of course if you have credits with Cricket that wouldn't be a good idea until those are spent.

Feedback Score
    Ok thanks. I agree there is a nice freedom about not being grandfathered. One complication is one of my Cricket lines is my Mom's phone and she doesn't live in same city. Doing even routine tech stuff for her can be challenging so getting her sim card mailed to her and switched etc and making sure everything works can be painful.

Does Visible have any usage issues such as texts not going through? I know other MVNOs have had that problem

Feedback Score
    This "Visible" uses Verizon's network. If you have unlocked GSM phone they won't work.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I am a GSM person so prob not switching. I also see pretty damning reviews about the (in)visible customer service haha. Not trying to start a debate or get people to come to Visibles defense by the way. Sometimes even some money savings isn't worth all the hassle of change. If it were just my phone I would be more willing to futz around but I don't like to play IT help desk with my wife and mother's phones. Not worth hearing the whining and then accusations of being so cheap that our service doesnt even work right.

Device(s)
    iPhones 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I am a GSM person so prob not switching. I also see pretty damning reviews about the (in)visible customer service haha. Not trying to start a debate or get people to come to Visibles defense by the way. Sometimes even some money savings isn't worth all the hassle of change. If it were just my phone I would be more willing to futz around but I don't like to play IT help desk with my wife and mother's phones. Not worth hearing the whining and then accusations of being so cheap that our service doesnt even work right.
    As long as you have a iPhones that are a 6or newer I think all your phones will work on visible with no issues. As long as they are unlocked. If you have android I do not know if it would work then.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Well.. Verizon is all LTE at this point, and does everything they can to keep everyone off CDMA.

That's not an issue anymore of the GSM vs CDMA thing most modern phones support both networks just fine.

I've actually got 3 phones on my Verizon postpaid account that completely lack CDMA and they all work fine.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Feedback Score
    What speeds are people seeing on Visible in congested cities? I see that as the main difference vs the Cricket that I already know and trust. Also I can often get discount on Cricket refills. Is that possible on Visible?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another vote for Visible. Best network, unlimited hotspot, great price. Their customer service is much improved.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful4Advice View Post
    Another vote for Visible. Best network, unlimited hotspot, great price. Their customer service is much improved.
    I moved one cricket line to visible because of a recent coverage/signal issue at my house with cricket. I'd had good coverage with vzw 3g and assumed the same with visible lte. In reality, there is a similar issue with visible, but mainly at my house, and if it weren't for the unlimited hotspot with visible I'd probably return that line to cricket. Also, why more Android phones aren't acceptable to their system?

Crickets up charges for every little thing is getting old, and for the same money, my metro line has great signal and speed at the house, at least for now. Metro still has coverage holes elsewhere, which brings up my point.

Every carrier has good and bad points depending on the users' individual situation. Fortunately, it's all gotten better and cheaper.
    Last edited by plane; 12-15-2019 at 06:47 PM.

Feedback Score
    Right now I still have several months of Cricket refills to use from recent Target discount purchase, plus I just bought the $399 S10 so need to keep Cricket open 6 months I guess to unlock it (although perhaps I can do it earlier or perhaps I can buy an unlock from Ebay later if necessary)