Thread: Is it possible to modify/hack a basic phone's software?

Feedback Score

Post Is it possible to modify/hack a basic phone's software?

Hello. I was wondering if I could modify my basic phone's software (I own two actually, a Nokia 105 (2017) and a Fly ff191). For instance I would like to remove some of the pre-installed games and install a Java dictionary in its place or maybe remove some of the default languages and install Russian (with Cryllic keypad). Is this even possible? Are there any easy-to-use tools/apps with a GUI interface for this purpose? Thank you in advance.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I am assuming you are using Android phones, if so what version ? Your best bet would be to download an application to do what you want it to do. Cell phones aren't re-programmed like desktop PC's. Search the Play Store to find what you need.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lignadev View Post
    Hello. I was wondering if I could modify my basic phone's software (I own two actually, a Nokia 105 (2017) and a Fly ff191). For instance I would like to remove some of the pre-installed games and install a Java dictionary in its place or maybe remove some of the default languages and install Russian (with Cryllic keypad). Is this even possible? Are there any easy-to-use tools/apps with a GUI interface for this purpose? Thank you in advance.
    Removing some pre-installed apps requires the phone to be rooted. Once rooted, the Titanium Backup app can freeze or remove any app. It is not really simple. You have to identify what file or files are the app to freeze or remove. It is no where as simple as selecting remove <game/app_name>. If you remove the wrong file(es) you can bork the phone. I did when I tried it.

Info about rooting phones can be found at XDA Developers. They tend to focus on the most popular phones and phones of interest to them. Obscure phones may not have a solution. Some phones have no solution - can't be done. Read lots first first before asking questions. They are not very friendly about answering questions that have already been addressed.

Good luck

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What are you guys talking about? The OP clearly said "basic phones" and even mentioned specific models - Nokia 105 and Fly Ff191. These are feature phones that have nothing to do with Android.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I am not familiar with either phone model and I wasn't sure they were Android. In my post I did ask that question. Sorry that I couldn't offer a definitive answer, but I tried to help none-the-less.

Feedback Score
    The short answer is not really, unless you have a team of dedicated hackers working for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose View Post
    What are you guys talking about? The OP clearly said "basic phones" and even mentioned specific models - Nokia 105 and Fly Ff191. These are feature phones that have nothing to do with Android.
    Good catch. I did not notice that the phones mentioned are feature phones.

Modding feature phones is a dead end.