Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cricket or someone else for at&t prepaid?

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    "Cheaper"... For how many lines?
    TotalWireless (on Verizon network) has those plans:
    https://www.totalwireless.com/serviceplan

Any extra 5GB of un-expiring data is $10 (or points from their rewards program).
    Well he was asking about AT&T, not Verizon. Also, it's unclear about hotspot on Total Wireless. On my Android phone it works fine, but it doesn't show up on my iPhone. Not sure if it's included or if it's forbidden.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    See https://www.att.com/prepaid/plans.html

AT&T Unlimited Plus on Prepaid includes 10GB of hotspot for $55/month (on auto pay).
    • Could be throttled after 22GB
    • HD Streaming
    • Better coverage than Cricket (more off-network roaming), but probably not on T-Mobile
    • Faster data than Cricket

For a single line, AT&T Prepaid is probably a better option than Cricket.

While the 10GB of hotspot isn't going to get you a whole lot of HD video (6 2/3 hours of 1080p, 11.1 hours of 720p) remember that if you connect your phone to your TV with an HDMI cable, or you cast to your TV (some TV's have this built in or you can use a Roku) then that doesn't count as hot spot data.

The question is: if and when it does throttle after 22GB, how slow does it throttle to? You need around 5Mb/s for HD video.
    My cricket isn't throttled after 22gb, it's only open to being deprioritized. I'm on the 5/$125 core 3Mbps unlimited plan.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Yeah, but I think that the video is SD only anyway.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score
    Then that is $47.50 for "Unlimited data" with no speed caps. Like I said that's only 25GB of LTE speed... And streams in SD only.

I think that Cricket's "Unlimited data" means 22GB of 8MBps speed, but I might be wrong.
    At this point, the only plans Cricket has that are throttled to 8Mbps are the 2GB, 5GB, and most grandfathered plans. The previous Unlimited plan and Cricket Core plan are 3Mbps, while the previous Unlimited Extra and Cricket More plan are uncapped. However, Extra, Core, and More are always-deprioritized; Unlimited and Unlimited Max (both grandfathered) are deprioritized after 22GB. The new BYOD plan is basically Cricket More with a few less things (no Canada/Mexico, no hotspot).

I've been testing a More SIM in my phone and have hit anywhere from about 2Mbps to 80Mbps, depending on where I'm at...arguably not bad if you have good AT&T service and the towers aren't saturated.

Any current unlimited plan on Cricket is now throttled to SD (VPN typically gets around this), and the 2GB and 5GB plans can have Stream More turned off to allow HD.

Feedback Score
    That's good to know. I was on Cricket a few years back until... I have moved all four lines of my family under TW. Plans and hidden TOS conditions changed.

I have no regrets - we have 100GB shared, non-capped speed.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score
    That's good to know. I was on Cricket a few years back until... I have moved all four lines of my family under TW. Plans and hidden TOS conditions changed.

I have no regrets - we have 100GB shared, non-capped speed.
    Yeah, I feel like Cricket is in an odd space where it's pretty good in many instances, but it also can't be too good, as it would then start to encroach on AT&T Prepaid's space. AT&T's postpaid plans have added a cheaper always-deprioritized option, too, further blurring the lines between the three.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBoost View Post
    Does at&t prepaid have the same coverage as Cricket?

And is there a cheaper alternative then cricket now?
    ATT should have at least the same coverage as cricket. Maybe slightly better, it has varied in the past with limited domestic roaming.

Can't answer the cricket question. It depends on your needs. I have RP's $60/year plan on a backup phone (100 minutes/month) and cricket doesn't have a plan that cheap
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenhal View Post
    My cricket isn't throttled after 22gb, it's only open to being deprioritized. I'm on the 5/$125 core 3Mbps unlimited plan.

3Mb/s means that it's throttled all the time.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Yeah, I feel like Cricket is in an odd space where it's pretty good in many instances, but it also can't be too good, as it would then start to encroach on AT&T Prepaid's space. AT&T's postpaid plans have added a cheaper always-deprioritized option, too, further blurring the lines between the three.
    I think that with 5G coming, and the carriers planning to sell broadband Internet to the home, they need to be very careful to put limits on unlimited data. Whether these limits are done with throttling, or with limits on hotspot data, they can't allow people to substitute phone data for broadband data. Video streams are the key issue since they are what use the most data. I think that the Cricket 3Mb/s unlimited plans took this into account.

Connecting a phone directly to an HDTV via HDMI or wirelessly is a way for unlimited data subscribers to bypass the data limits placed on hotspot data.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score
    I think that with 5G coming, and the carriers planning to sell broadband Internet to the home, they need to be very careful to put limits on unlimited data. Whether these limits are done with throttling, or with limits on hotspot data, they can't allow people to substitute phone data for broadband data. Video streams are the key issue since they are what use the most data. I think that the Cricket 3Mb/s unlimited plans took this into account.

Connecting a phone directly to an HDTV via HDMI or wirelessly is a way for unlimited data subscribers to bypass the data limits placed on hotspot data.
    Absolutely - I remember AT&T experimented with some other 3Mbps plans on AT&T Prepaid and AT&T postpaid (I forget the name, but it was eventually phased out and replaced with an unlimited, but always-deprioritized option instead), but basically it comes back to the never-ending argument of how Cricket and AT&T Prepaid fit with each other.

Feedback Score
    3Mb/s means that it's throttled all the time.
    I was answering this line:

"The question is: if and when it does throttle after 22GB, how slow does it throttle to? You need around 5Mb/s for HD video."

They are not thrilled further after 22gb, just depri.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2