Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is my phone (Moto G7) all set for VoLTE?

Feedback Score

Is my phone (Moto G7) all set for VoLTE?

My girlfriend and I updated our phones to unlocked Moto G7's this past September at Best Buy. We're on the Verizon network via TracFone. We upgraded from the LG Premier LTE (LG L62VL.) The worker swapped the SIM cards out of the old phones and into the new ones. Transferred whatever else she had to as well. The phones have been excellent, but how do I know if I'm using VoLTE? LTE for data has been great. No idea about voice.

This is my first post, so I don't know how to post the screenshots that I took. Thanks for any help!

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    The easiest way to tell is to make a call with Wi-Fi turned OFF. Watch to see if the LTE indicator stays on during the call. If so VoLTE is working.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    It does not stay on. It goes dark and turns back on when I hang up. What would my next step be? This phone must support it. Seems too new not to.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You will need to get new SIMs, and activate them. Hopefully the phone's IMEI is clean and clear for the Verizon based SIMs.

Feedback Score
    Do you mean the pack that TracFone sells for a dollar? This is only my second smartphone, so I don't know much. I just swap out the SIM card and check that something is clean or empty? Would I lose the minutes/texts/data that I've been building up?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjoe View Post
    The phones have been excellent, but how do I know if I'm using VoLTE? LTE for data has been great. No idea about voice.
    You can do the test below, which works in most cases, except with some Samsung phones (like an S5).

To test and see if your call is going through VoLTE on Verizon, do this:
    1. Turn off WiFi. Turn on Data.
    2. Make a call to someone. Call my airport weather line 785-234-1591 if you don't want to bother anybody.
    3. WHILE THE CALL IS IN PROGRESS, try to access an online site using the phone's browser. If it works, your call is going through VoLTE. If it doesn't, or you get a message that "Data is not available at this time", your call is not going through VoLTE.

If you find out your call is not going through VoLTE, then look in the Settings-->Network for a setting to select the network as LTE and/or a setting to set voice to HD. On some phones, those options are greyed out or not shown unless the SIM in the phone is VoLTE-provisioned.

Another indicator on your Moto is an "HD" icon that's displayed on the phone screen during a call IF BOTH PARTIES are using VoLTE on Verizon.

If you want to do test calls with me, send me a Private Message (click on my name, select Private Message) with your phone number and the time that works for you. I'll call you from my Moto E5 which has TF/Verizon VoLTE and the HD indicator.

Name:  Moto-E5-Call-with-HD-Indicator.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  21.1 KB

Feedback Score
    It doesn't work. I made a call and tried to navigate to a different website. It wouldn't go until the call was disconnected. My phone is on "global" right now, but there is an LTE/CDMA option too.

Feedback Score
    I tried the same thing with LTE/CDMA enabled. The result was the same.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Do you mean the pack that TracFone sells for a dollar? This is only my second smartphone, so I don't know much. I just swap out the SIM card and check that something is clean or empty? Would I lose the minutes/texts/data that I've been building up?
    Based on your tests, it looks like the SIM in your current phone (swapped in from the Premier LTE) is not enabled/provisioned for VoLTE. Here's what you need to do:

1. Buy a Tracfone Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) SIM kit that's sold at many places for $1.
    2. Take out the nano SIM for Verizon service. The current SIM kit has SIMs for AT&T, T-mobile, and Verizon. The SIM for each carrier is multi-cut, meaning there are 3 sizes (mini, micro, nano) that are nested within each other. Your Moto G7 uses the nano size. Just slightly punch it out.
    3. Take a close look at the very small number printed on the nano SIM, that's the SIM number. Write it down on a piece of paper.
    4. Contact TF customer support, tell the rep your want to ACTIVATE A BYOP VERIZON SIM WITH A TRANSFER from your current phone number. The rep will ask for your current phone number, the BYOP SIM number, and the G7's IMEI (serial number). The IMEI should be in Settings-->About Phone. The rep will transfer your service (phone number, talk/text/data balances, service days) from the old SIM to the new SIM. Because you're staying with TF/Verizon, that transfer should take place immediately.
    5. After the rep is done, remove the old SIM from your G7, and insert the new BYOP SIM. Make test calls, texts, browsing using data. You might have to setup/modify the APN (Access Point Name) for Data to work. We'll help you if that's necessary.

When contact TF support, we suggest you use Chat on their web site. That way, you don't have to put up with poor/noisy connection, the rep's accent, and everything said is recorded in the transcript. After the Chat is over, copy the Chat transcript from the chat box, paste it into a text file on your computer and save it for record.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    You may want to make sure VoLTE is provisioned on your phone by dialing *#*#4636#*#*. This will open a secret menu so you can see if VoLTE is turned on. I've had to do this on a few Motorola phones.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Based on your tests, it looks like the SIM in your current phone (swapped in from the Premier LTE) is not enabled/provisioned for VoLTE. Here's what you need to do:

1. Buy a Tracfone Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) SIM kit that's sold at many places for $1.
    2. Take out the nano SIM for Verizon service. The current SIM kit has SIMs for AT&T, T-mobile, and Verizon. The SIM for each carrier is multi-cut, meaning there are 3 sizes (mini, micro, nano) that are nested within each other. Your Moto G7 uses the nano size. Just slightly punch it out.
    3. Take a close look at the very small number printed on the nano SIM, that's the SIM number. Write it down on a piece of paper.
    4. Contact TF customer support, tell the rep your want to ACTIVATE A BYOP VERIZON SIM WITH A TRANSFER from your current phone number. The rep will ask for your current phone number, the BYOP SIM number, and the G7's IMEI (serial number). The IMEI should be in Settings-->About Phone. The rep will transfer your service (phone number, talk/text/data balances, service days) from the old SIM to the new SIM. Because you're staying with TF/Verizon, that transfer should take place immediately.
    5. After the rep is done, remove the old SIM from your G7, and insert the new BYOP SIM. Make test calls, texts, browsing using data. You might have to setup/modify the APN (Access Point Name) for Data to work. We'll help you if that's necessary.

When contact TF support, we suggest you use Chat on their web site. That way, you don't have to put up with poor/noisy connection, the rep's accent, and everything said is recorded in the transcript. After the Chat is over, copy the Chat transcript from the chat box, paste it into a text file on your computer and save it for record.
    You are very thorough. I'm going to buy a card tomorrow and do all of this. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    My girlfriend and I updated our phones to unlocked Moto G7's this past September at Best Buy. We're on the Verizon network via TracFone. We upgraded from the LG Premier LTE (LG L62VL.) The worker swapped the SIM cards out of the old phones and into the new ones. Transferred whatever else she had to as well. The phones have been excellent, but how do I know if I'm using VoLTE? LTE for data has been great. No idea about voice....
    The Moto G7 is capable of VoLTE.

The simultaneous voice and data test is adequate to determine if you are on VoLTE.

There is another way that works with Motos. Secret Handshake time: From the phone dialer, dial *#*#4636#*#*

That will bring up a "Testing" screen. Touch Phone information. It will display a "Phone info" screen. On that screen there will be info about Voice Service Type and a slider switch for VoLTE Provisioned.

The problem is that BB put your old TF SIMs in the new phones. Verizon did not activate TF SIMs with VoLTE provisioning until about a year ago.

You can fix this by getting a new TF-Verizon SIM and transferring your phone number and service units to it. Do it by chat unless you enjoy talking to TF reps. During the chat, start by having the chat rep tell you your service units and service end day so you and they have a record of it. Copy the chat session to a text file. You can't depend on the email transcript function to work. You should not lose anything.

You can do the transfer without assistance in your account web site, but if it doesn't work or things get lost you will be hard pressed to get them to fix it.

The new SIMs are the smartphone only type - no triple units. Are your existing SIMs triple unit? If you ask real nice someone may have some extras. I have heard that sometimes they are sold on eBay.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    Quick question, guys. The new SIM card goes in the phone before I begin all of this? I know you said not to do that, but the kit is telling me to do so. Otherwise, I’m ready to go chat with customer service.

Feedback Score
    I would not, you may loose everything. You want a record of what is on the phone first.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quick question, guys. The new SIM card goes in the phone before I begin all of this? I know you said not to do that, but the kit is telling me to do so. Otherwise, I’m ready to go chat with customer service.
    Doesn't really matter. But I prefer to keep the old SIM in place to know when the transfer was completed (old SIM quits working).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast