Thread: Replacement for LG Optimus Fuel

Feedback Score

Replacement for LG Optimus Fuel

My wife is a very light user who has been using an LG Optimus Fuel on a PP $10 / 120 day Standard plan. She is rather technology adverse but is learning how to use more features and apps on a spare Moto G4 w/WiFi only. She won't carry it outside the house because she doesn't carry a purse and tells me the G4 is too large for her pocket.

Is there another 4G phone that is nearly as small as the Optimus Fuel? I want to keep her on Android because of the learning curve. Suggestions appreciated. Inexpensive is good.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Small phones are getting harder to come by. Smallest are something like Motorola G5plus with 5.2 inch screen. However that line of phones had operability issues so I can't recommend it.

Smallest phones that may or may not be volte compatible might be something like Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge. However these are older generation phones so ymmv

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have not seen any phone that is smaller then 5 inches, but for a few flip phones and iPhone SE. The biggest issue is you need to find a phone that supports Verizon's VoLTE system since Verizon is going to drop CDMA at the start of 2021.

Feedback Score
    When I was searching for a VoLTE capable to replace my Fuel (great phone). I also wanted to stay as small as I could. I found the Verizon LG K4 (VS425 "not" VS425PP). It's 4.5 inch. It was ok but sometime flaky and a bad camera. Was Android 5 but through the LG web site was able to upgrade to 6.0 and won't upgrade beyond that. I also got a Moto E4 (XT1768) which is 5" and of course went with that.
    As far as the K4 do your due diligence since there are TF variants (Zone 3/Rebel) which don't support VoLTE. I think the VS425PP is Verizon's prepaid version which if I recall doesn't support VoLTE either. Found the Verizon K4 (vs425) on Ebay.
    I also heard awhile back that the TF ZTE Majesty Pro Plus (Z899VL) which is 4.5" supports VoLTE but can't say for sure.
    And as mentioned by @advcomp2019 the Iphone SE but I'm not an Iphone fan.

I've gotten use to the 5" E4 vs the 3.5" fuel and love it, but if they ever make an android VoLTE capable similar to the Fuel I'll be test driving it. If you find one let us know.

Feedback Score
    Perhaps the "Sony Xperia Compact" line.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Small phones are getting harder to come by. Smallest are something like Motorola G5plus with 5.2 inch screen. However that line of phones had operability issues so I can't recommend it.
    Yes, it may not be much possible to get an under 5" screen phone that will work on Verizon VoLTE. To think of under 4" screens really only leaves the iPhone SE.

Where did you see that the Moto G5 Plus has operability issues? Reviews were very favorable, and I know it's a very fine phone value for it's price range. Have no plans to replace mine unless it breaks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alster View Post
    Perhaps the "Sony Xperia Compact" line.
    Sony Experia is too expensive (~ $500), and some models are not Verizon compatible.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Just word of mouth really. Motorola G after the G4 plus line has had scattered reports of weird connection issues, wifi and mobile data related.
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Yes, it may not be much possible to get an under 5" screen phone that will work on Verizon VoLTE. To think of under 4" screens really only leaves the iPhone SE.

Where did you see that the Moto G5 Plus has operability issues? Reviews were very favorable, and I know it's a very fine phone value for it's price range. Have no plans to replace mine unless it breaks.
    Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I have a spare Moto G5 Plus that I bought last year from Target for $114. It works great and was my GSMA phone when I was in an area where CDMA didn't work. Great phone with no problems but still too large for my wife.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Her Fuel still works so we may have to keep it until she decides that the lack of features is great enough to overcome the size issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by southsound View Post
    Her Fuel still works so we may have to keep it until she decides that the lack of features is great enough to overcome the size issue.
    The Fuel can't be activated anymore, so make sure the account is maintained. You can only activate a VoLTE phone now on Verizon. CDMA shutdown is end of next year from most sources. Some say it might be mid-year.

Feedback Score
    I have an LG Rebel 4 I got on Black Friday. It's fairly small at 5-inches and is a good phone for the price.